Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2018 LR RWD M3 needs new tires and service - Keep it or Trade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings -

My 2018 LR RWD which arrived in mid November 2018 now has reached 25K miles (would be a lot more without COVID) and needs new tires. I asked the Service tech to list everything that I might need to do and the costs. The total, including new OE 19" tires and mounting, four wheel alignment, "A/C odor removal" (new cabin filters and evaporator cleaning), brake fluid bleed/flush, and new wiper blades/installation totals just under $1870 including tax, with the tires/alignment amounting to 80% of the bill.

I've been trying to decide if it makes sense to just do the maintenance and hang onto the car for another two years. By that time the CyberTruck (I'm one of the 200K+ people with deposits) will be out, and any new battery technology will be visible. On the other hand, my main complaint with my car is the road noise - smooth roads are generally fine, but we don't have many of them. The constant tire whine is annoying, and as I continue further down the road of a cranky senior citizen I value quiet and comfort over speed (I can't believe I just typed that).

The question is - would you hang onto it, or trade into the Model Y similarly equipped (nearly $16K plus my car in trade), or upgrade to the Model S ($41,500 plus my car).

It seems to me that hanging on to my M3 makes the most sense, but I'd welcome your thoughts.

I wish I had thought of that.

The installation did make me ponder just how difficult part design can be. How is the technician/mechanic taken into account ?

I looked around, double checked the video i watched, looked again.....got my flash light out.....you've got to be kidding me.....figured out a way to get my normal length t20 up there. You are 100% right though, a ratchet would save a lot of trouble, or at minimum a stumpy t20.

Greetings -

My 2018 LR RWD which arrived in mid November 2018 now has reached 25K miles (would be a lot more without COVID) and needs new tires. I asked the Service tech to list everything that I might need to do and the costs. The total, including new OE 19" tires and mounting, four wheel alignment, "A/C odor removal" (new cabin filters and evaporator cleaning), brake fluid bleed/flush, and new wiper blades/installation totals just under $1870 including tax, with the tires/alignment amounting to 80% of the bill.

I've been trying to decide if it makes sense to just do the maintenance and hang onto the car for another two years. By that time the CyberTruck (I'm one of the 200K+ people with deposits) will be out, and any new battery technology will be visible. On the other hand, my main complaint with my car is the road noise - smooth roads are generally fine, but we don't have many of them. The constant tire whine is annoying, and as I continue further down the road of a cranky senior citizen I value quiet and comfort over speed (I can't believe I just typed that).

The question is - would you hang onto it, or trade into the Model Y similarly equipped (nearly $16K plus my car in trade), or upgrade to the Model S ($41,500 plus my car).

It seems to me that hanging on to my M3 makes the most sense, but I'd welcome your thoughts.

80% of $1870 is $1500.

So first take it someplace they're not overcharging you 50% to put good tires on it. (and you'll likely end up with better tires out of the deal too.).

And do you actually need an alignment? Unless the car isn't driving straight now, or there's obvious very uneven tire wear, or you hit curbs a lot- probably not.... My AWD car is only about a month older than yours and the alignment is just fine.

But if you think dropping 16k (or maybe 41.5k) to possibly get a little quieter car makes sense.

Well, it doesn't.

Hell, take it to a professional stereo place and for a TINY fraction of that (like under 1k probably) they can just add soundproofing all over the interior if that's really your only objection to the thing.

Reactions: ucmndd
I'm surprised this SC is playing the Classical ICE Maintenance game.
Take a look at your brakes. Unless you don't know how to one-pedal
drive a Tesla, your brakes are fine. So why should it need new fluid?

Quiet? I dunno about the Stereo Place, this car is not built for quiet,
the Y is going to be about the same. Nobody around here has reported
significant improvement with all sorts of padding, or more exotic fixes.
Road and wind noise decoupling is a significant portion of the cost of
say a Lexus. But personally, I value the nerves-allaying assist of AS/AP
lanes changing automation over quiet.

Like everybody is saying, it's seldom worth dumping what you have.
Especially a very decent little car like a Model 3. You even have the
bigger battery. Trading up to an S? That's a personal decision, drive
one on bumpy roads and see. They're more like our parents' car, it
could be nice, at a hefty price.

Tires? well, that's not my field, but some say there are quieter tires,
and there certainly is a wide selection available. I'd suggest focusing
those anxieties on the tires, what tires would be quietest and best for
you. Replacing the wipers and filters can also be something OC to do :)

Reactions: Watts_Up
NONONONONO. I'm a woman, and I didn't even get taken like that. Don't do it. My car is also a 2018 LR RWD with 25K miles, and I just had a mobile ranger come out and do a two year service for less than $200, which some people would argue is still too much. I don't need tires - yet- but when I do I'm NOT going to Tesla. Go to a place like Discount Tire or Costco. No only will you get a better price, but you'll have access to road hazard insurance, something Tesla doesn't offer. Most places now know how to lift a Tesla correctly. And if you don't buy your tires from Tesla, you don't need an alignment from Tesla.

Do not agree to this estimate.

Greetings -

You should trade it in for a Leaf like this other person did. You can make $20.

I'm surprised this SC is playing the Classical ICE Maintenance game.
Take a look at your brakes. Unless you don't know how to one-pedal
drive a Tesla, your brakes are fine. So why should it need new fluid?

Brake fluid takes on water over time, regardless of how much you use it. It's not a lifetime fluid.

That said- the actual maintenance schedule calls for you to CHECK the fluid every 2 years (there's test strips and other devices for doing this)- not necessarily replace it (as the amount of water it takes on over time does vary somewhat on environment, use, and other factors)

I'
Quiet? I dunno about the Stereo Place, this car is not built for quiet,
the Y is going to be about the same. Nobody around here has reported
significant improvement with all sorts of padding

I'm unaware of anyone who has actually done a full dynamat or other sound deadening install and not seen a very noticeable improvement- but if you've got some links of those who did it and didn't see such a difference I'm open to being corrected.