Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2018 LR RWD M3 needs new tires and service - Keep it or Trade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get the tires, turn up the music, worry about brakes at 3 - 4 years and then just flush. (Wife's MS had lost less than 1 mm at 180,000).

That Cybertruck most likely will be late by a year (based on Tesla history) and at your place in line - ur looking at 2023 earliest.

What to do with leftover money? Buy Tesla stock.

Both MIC 3 and US Model Y launched ahead of original schedule so not sure why you think that?

lencap said one of 200,000 in line for reserve. Could be # 157, but would have said that. Guessing closer to 200,000. Last I heard, Elon said 2021 and experience means late 2021 (and probably employees first).

I was one of first batch to M3 non employees and celebrated New Years 2018 2 wks later. (not complaining, I expected it but the promise said much sooner). And I got just over number 1400.

The MY was basically already designed being a mock of the M3. Cyber will not look exactly like the mockup - there will be tests and modifications and it will improve BEFORE hitting factory floor.

How long before M3 hit 200,000, back when there was only MS and MX?

Keep the M3 - break the mileage record if you can. When ready for the Cyber, sell the M3 or keep as a fond memory of the vehicle you never expected to go as many miles as you even dreamed.

I intended my post to pull from the collective knowledge/experience of Tesla owners. My thanks to those that responded. Being limited to 19" Run Flat tires does narrow the choices down, and my hope is to mine your experience to see if All Season Performance tires are a viable choice without a spare tire in the car.

TireRack seems to find Bridestone Turanza QuietTrack a good option, but I'm unfamiliar with this model, and wonder about getting a flat in a relatively inconvenient location.

I agree that not all of the maintenance is needed, it was a "worst case" quote. I also realize trading a car, especially at 2 years, isn't a wise financial investment. I was wondering if those of you that have the Model S, or have modified your Model 3 with extensive sound proofing found it worth the effort/expense.

I intended my post to pull from the collective knowledge/experience of Tesla owners. My thanks to those that responded. Being limited to 19" Run Flat tires does narrow the choices down, and my hope is to mine your experience to see if All Season Performance tires are a viable choice without a spare tire in the car.

TireRack seems to find Bridestone Turanza QuietTrack a good option, but I'm unfamiliar with this model, and wonder about getting a flat in a relatively inconvenient location.

I agree that not all of the maintenance is needed, it was a "worst case" quote. I also realize trading a car, especially at 2 years, isn't a wise financial investment. I was wondering if those of you that have the Model S, or have modified your Model 3 with extensive sound proofing found it worth the effort/expense.

OEM tires are not run flat

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC

That by choice? (RFT)

Personally I rather opt for a full size spare instead when going on a longer journey.

• Funny
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I'm unaware of anyone who has actually done a full dynamat or other sound deadening install and not seen a very noticeable improvement- but if you've got some links of those who did it and didn't see such a difference I'm open to being corrected.

Sound Deadening Model 3

This whole thread read like an exercise in futility. Nobody seemed to get much more than "maybe it helped some". The road noise is very low frequency rumble that's being being passed from tires up the suspension. Once you mute obvious surface resonances like the trunk walls, I can't imagine any padding doing much.

After the windows are adjusted for best fit, the wind noise might be helped a little by cramming stuff here and there where turbulence develops. Kind of hit and miss, varies by car.

The quiet cars like Lexus are designed around that objective, starting with the tires, axles, suspension. For everything that people tried on the Model 3, and the cost, I don't recall anyone coming back saying they got a major improvement. Or did I miss something?

Last edited:
Reactions: android04
My 2018 LR RWD which arrived in mid November 2018 now has reached 25K miles (would be a lot more without COVID) and needs new tires. I asked the Service tech to list everything that I might need to do and the costs. The total, including new OE 19" tires and mounting, four wheel alignment, "A/C odor removal" (new cabin filters and evaporator cleaning), brake fluid bleed/flush, and new wiper blades/installation totals just under $1870 including tax, with the tires/alignment amounting to 80% of the bill.

So you can buy the OEM wipers ($23x2) and cabin filters ($17x2) from Tesla yourself. Cheaper filters and can of Kool it are available from Amazon for less than that. The same 18" Michelin Primacy MXM4 are available for $1087.96 for a set of 4 (before a current $110 discount) at my local Costco. 19" are probably more than that but I don't think this is really that much of a question. $1,600 vs $16,000 is a no brainer unless you really just want an excuse to buy a new model.

Dude.. Have a fully loaded LR RWD M3 with 33k miles on it and am thinking about the same thing.

Tires are due, service and warranty will expire soon.

Mostly... I think we ALL are about to take a serious haircut on resale value after battery day coming up soon.

Thinking about my options heavily now.

Dude.. Have a fully loaded LR RWD M3 with 33k miles on it and am thinking about the same thing.

Tires are due, service and warranty will expire soon.

Mostly... I think we ALL are about to take a serious haircut on resale value after battery day coming up soon.

Thinking about my options heavily now.

I suspect you're gonna be pleasantly surprised there.

The line making the roadrunner batteries is tiny- probably enough for the Plaid S they're gonna show and maybe a plaid X too.... but orders of magnitude too little to supply 3 or Y cars with them- and semi, roadster, and cybertruck need next-gen batteries before 3/Y do.

I'd expect minor chem/cost improvements to the existing panasonic-made cells for 3/Y from battery day, but nothing earth shattering.

(if they were switching entirely to Tesla-made cells on their major volume products anytime soon they wouldn't have just resigned a 3 year deal with panasonic, which is expanding their operation at GF Nevada)

I wouldn't expect roadrunner stuff in 3/Y for at least another 1-2 years minimum.

Brake fluid takes on water over time, regardless of how much you use it. It's not a lifetime fluid.

Well, in California, it is. Brake fluid should not "take on water", and in my meager experience of sixty years of driving, twenty of which were in Missouri, I NEVER had any problems with brake fluid "taking on water", and I NEVER changed brake fluid, usually putting on over 100K miles on my cars.

In my not so humble opinion, most of these maintenance places are a scam.