Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2018 model 3 got rear ended today - car won't go into drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car got rear ended today on the highway. Thankfully, no one was hurt. But my car got really rattled - besides the damage to the back. It refused to switch to "Drive" and by the time it was towed away, it's battery (the 12V one) was dead. It doesn't turn on at all now.
I've scheduled an appointment with the Tesla service center tomorrow the first slot I could get so I can get it out of the tow lot.

How did a rear end cause such huge damage to the Tesla? After reaching the towing lot, the screen was also flashing red and said ABS was also at reduced capacity. The airbags did not deploy, so I'm assuming the speeds were not that high (or maybe that was a slip up and it should have deployed). The car behind me was a 2014 Ford explorer probably traveling 15-30 mph.

Any idea what the bill for this'll be? I hope insurance is not a night mare for this - I'm in washington and I'm pretty sure the other driver just has state minmimum. I do have comprehensive insurance though.

Last edited:
My car got rear ended today on the highway. Thankfully, no one was hurt. But my car got really rattled - besides the damage to the back. It refused to switch to "Drive" and by the time it was towed away, it's battery (the 12V one) was dead. It doesn't turn on at all now.
I've scheduled an appointment with the Tesla service center tomorrow the first slot I could get so I can get it out of the tow lot.

How did a rear end cause such huge damage to the Tesla? After reaching the towing lot, the screen was also flashing red and said ABS was also at reduced capacity. The airbags did not deploy, so I'm assuming the speeds were not that high (or maybe that was a slip up and it should have deployed). The car behind me was a Ford explorer probably traveling 15-30 mph.

I hope insurance is not a night mare for this 😥
Pyrofuse blew. This happens whenever any emergency restraints activate. Was the seatbelt behaving strangely after the accident (pre-tensioner fired)? Any strange smells in the cabin?

Last edited:
Reactions: redLamp
Pyrofuse blew. This happens whenever any emergency restraints activate. Was the seatbelt behaving strangely after the accident (pre-tensioner fired). Any strange smells in the cabin?
I see. Yes, the seatbelt did seem to get damaged. It wasn't going into the slot correctly after the accident.
And there was a bit of a burnt smell too at the time of and right after the accident

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life