Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #27 is available now with topics time-stamped. We discussed: Consolidation in LiDAR manufacturers; Volvo EX90 shipping with LiDAR; FSD Beta Full Release in N.A.; FSD detecting autopilot cheats, Gwen Shotwell directly overseeing SpaceX Starship; and more. You can watch it now on YouTube. We should have it published to podcast networks shortly.

My 2020 model S with free unlimited charging was just declared totaled by my insurance, is there anything I can do?

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
MA, NH
I don’t care about diminished value, I was planning to use the car with unlimited charging for at least a decade and not sell it. As long as it drove fine with unlimited charging all that matters to me. But since it won’t be able to supercharge after being a salvage title that changes things. I think it is more cosmetic damage because I was able to drive the car for a short distance to the tow truck after it got in the accident, it is just very expensive cosmetic damage.

When I made this thread I didn’t know that supercharging did not work on salvaged titles. I was asking if there was a way to repair it or find a shop that would do it (either officially or unoficially) for less then or near the $43k that my insurance would pay me to keep it and if it would be worth it. So yes the $36k repair vs $43k payment from insurance. I also didn’t know the value of supercharging, it may be worth a lot more to some people than others.

Right now i’m saving $1k a year, but I don’t drive that much. If I start driving more in the future, or electricity costs increase a lot in the future it could easily be a few thousand or more savings a year. Also the peace of mind of never having to think about the cost when I got into my car and went somewhere is a huge benefit.
If you valued Free SuperCharging so much why the hell were you running FSD Beta :) an accident waiting to happen. However FSD beta didn’t cause this one. Since it doesn’t run on the highway. But AutiPilot may have reduced injury. Who knows.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC