Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2020 model S with free unlimited charging was just declared totaled by my insurance, is there anything I can do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hit a guard rail on both sides of the car and the insurance is saying it is totaled. The car was still drivable, but there is so much cosmetic damage on all panels of the car that they said I basically will have to replace every panel.

The insurance says the value of the car is $83K, the salvage value they say is $40k and the repair cost is $36K+

The insurance said I could keep the car and they would keep the salvage value (so I would get around $43K and the car), but the tesla certified collision place I took it to basically told me they don't want to work on it, saying it will take 6+ months to get all the parts and the $36k is an estimate and could have a lot more charges once they take all the panels off.

I want to do anything I can to not lose unlimited charging but I don't know what else to do? Should I just give up or are there any other suggestions or advice?

Attachments

• 20220812_122829969_iOS.jpg
    20220812_122829969_iOS.jpg
    828.4 KB · Views: 495
  • 20220812_122827197_iOS.jpg
    20220812_122827197_iOS.jpg
    854.4 KB · Views: 286
  • 20220812_122145438_iOS.jpg
    20220812_122145438_iOS.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 300
  • 20220812_110330642_iOS.jpg
    20220812_110330642_iOS.jpg
    862.6 KB · Views: 294
  • 20220812_105739337_iOS.jpg
    20220812_105739337_iOS.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 276
Reactions: ElectricIAC
...not lose unlimited charging...
As soon as Tesla learns that your car is a salvage title, your supercharger capability is disabled. You can offer to pay Tesla all you want, but your supercharger will still be disabled.

Unless Tesla changes its policy, there's no way to supercharge a salvage title (free or pay per session).

If you want to keep your car, you can plan on charging with AC (120 or 240V) but not Fast DC (Supercharger).

As soon as Tesla learns that your car is a salvage title, your supercharger capability is disabled. You can offer to pay Tesla all you want, but your supercharger will still be disabled.

thanks for letting me know, I didn't know this was a thing. Do they actively look for this? Any way to not get a salvage title?

I know probably impossible but any loop holes or exceptions to get my unlimited charging to a new model S?

• Love
I just googled it and it says tesla turned back on supercharging for salvaged titles last year? Not sure if there is any follow up to that.
The follow up is it was a mistake, temporary, and Tesla has not changed their stance as of now in any way. Lots of threads around here on this topic:

• Informative
...Any way to not get a salvage title?...
It comes from your insurance.

If you didn't buy insurance, you could keep the title the same as if nothing had happened.

I assume Tesla's computer is interfaced with the DMV, so the process of disabling your fast DC charge system is seamless and effortless.

I know probably impossible but any loop holes or exceptions to get my unlimited charging to a new model S?
None.

Tesla is trying to make money with anything it could think of (like you need to pay extra for the mobile connector now). So, there's no loophole.

• Informative
Hit a guard rail on both sides of the car and the insurance is saying it is totaled. The car was still drivable, but there is so much cosmetic damage on all panels of the car that they said I basically will have to replace every panel.

The insurance says the value of the car is $83K, the salvage value they say is $40k and the repair cost is $36K+

The insurance said I could keep the car and they would keep the salvage value (so I would get around $43K and the car), but the tesla certified collision place I took it to basically told me they don't want to work on it, saying it will take 6+ months to get all the parts and the $36k is an estimate and could have a lot more charges once they take all the panels off.

I want to do anything I can to not lose unlimited charging but I don't know what else to do? Should I just give up or are there any other suggestions or advice?
Show your Insurance Company that you paid additional for the unlimited charging. That may factor in to the payout! Give it a shot. Lot's about Tesla's
that Insurance Companies have to adjust to and digest.

You let Elon take the wheel didn’t you?
if you mean Elon's autopilot turned my car onto the median then yes..

Show your Insurance Company that you paid additional for the unlimited charging. That may factor in to the payout! Give it a shot. Lot's about Tesla's

I didn't pay additional for unlimited charging it was free.

Can I argue that the car should be worth more because it had unlimited supercharging and would be able to be sold for more? Even though technically it's non transferable?

I tried begging the adjustor to do whatever he can not to total it because of the charging. He told me to ask tesla for a refund for what I paid for it lol.

• Informative
Your only potential option is to withdraw your insurance claim, drive the wrecked car and fix it up in your dime. Unlimited Supercharging probably isn’t worth that.
definitely not worth that. I would be losing $43K. Although after this my insurance will probably go up a lot so might use up that $43K pretty fast.

What do people value unlimited charging as? I think I personally saved around $1k/year on supercharging but I guess the savings were limitless and who knows what supercharging might increase to in the future.

• Informative
Is free unlimited Supercharging really that valuable to you? I've had my M3 for 20 months and I've likely used less than $100 worth of SuperChargers.

Over the last 3 years i've saved around $3k in electricity so I value it at around $1k/year and I don't even drive that much. I live in a condo that doesn't have the ability to regular charge.

How much have you spent on regular charging in 20 months?

• Love
definitely not worth that. I would be losing $43K. Although after this my insurance will probably go up a lot so might use up that $43K pretty fast.

What do people value unlimited charging as? I think I personally saved around $1k/year on supercharging but I guess the savings were limitless and who knows what supercharging might increase to in the future.
I can say with confidence we’ve saved between $6-8,000 in supercharging costs over the last two years and 64,000 (80% of those using supercharging) miles.

It’s a valuable perk especially as cost keeps increasing to charge!

Reactions: outdoors