Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2020 model S with free unlimited charging was just declared totaled by my insurance, is there anything I can do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t care about diminished value, I was planning to use the car with unlimited charging for at least a decade and not sell it. As long as it drove fine with unlimited charging all that matters to me. But since it won’t be able to supercharge after being a salvage title that changes things. I think it is more cosmetic damage because I was able to drive the car for a short distance to the tow truck after it got in the accident, it is just very expensive cosmetic damage.

When I made this thread I didn’t know that supercharging did not work on salvaged titles. I was asking if there was a way to repair it or find a shop that would do it (either officially or unoficially) for less then or near the $43k that my insurance would pay me to keep it and if it would be worth it. So yes the $36k repair vs $43k payment from insurance. I also didn’t know the value of supercharging, it may be worth a lot more to some people than others.

Right now i’m saving $1k a year, but I don’t drive that much. If I start driving more in the future, or electricity costs increase a lot in the future it could easily be a few thousand or more savings a year. Also the peace of mind of never having to think about the cost when I got into my car and went somewhere is a huge benefit.
If you valued Free SuperCharging so much why the hell were you running FSD Beta :) an accident waiting to happen. However FSD beta didn’t cause this one. Since it doesn’t run on the highway. But AutiPilot may have reduced injury. Who knows.

That sounds like a corner case to me, but Tesla makes available the Supercharger use history.

Is OP one of those who can charge at home, but clogs up Superchargers instead ?
He was an early adapter of Tesla and was rewarded with unlimited and unrestricted supercharging. These early adapter’s help prevent Tesla from bankruptcy. If anybody has a right to clog up supercharging stations he does.

Reactions: gregoryg
if you mean Elon's autopilot turned my car onto the median then yes..

I didn't pay additional for unlimited charging it was free.

Can I argue that the car should be worth more because it had unlimited supercharging and would be able to be sold for more? Even though technically it's non transferable?

I tried begging the adjustor to do whatever he can not to total it because of the charging. He told me to ask tesla for a refund for what I paid for it lol.

Is free unlimited Supercharging really that valuable to you? I've had my M3 for 20 months and I've likely used less than $100 worth of Superchargers.
One of the main reasons i bought my tesla is for free charging its super valuable
Simple maths which may not be in real life due to many other variables:

EPA rates the 100 kWh 2020 Model S long range as 402 miles.

An average driver drives 12,500 miles annually, or that's what Tessa warranty claims.

Los Angeles Supercharger costs $0.28/kWh off-peak or $0.56 at peak. SCE home residential TOU-D-Prime is similar: $0.21 and $0.54.

12,500 miles annually / 402 miles per one full charge = 31.09452736 full charges per year.

31.09452736 full charges x 100 kWh = 3,109.452736 kWh

3,109.452736 kWh x $0.56 = $1,741.29

That's the theoretical annual cost: $1,741.29 for 12,500 miles per year.
i love me some maths but you're off by about 50% for my calculations. I'd say your calculations are a good start point for other people to make an educated guess for their own maths. But i prefer to use the spreadsheets from tesla and just autosum a few columns to get accurate data.
There has to be a "value" for the unlimited charging. See if Tesla can give you a cost/value and submit that as part of your claim
It varies from one driver to the next. like the one guy said above he doesn't use it much at all. And you got people like me that use it all the time and are traveling a lot. I pulled of the data from the tesla website and scrubbed about 6 months of spreadsheets for my charging and its an average of $300 a month i save by not paying for supercharging.

Also free charging is built into my retirement plan, so when i retire I'll be traveling around the country and since i have free charging "fuel" cost is another thing i can cross off my list of expenses.

Here's some actual math though: I bought my MS at the end of May. Through the end of the year, I drove about 42k miles, and added 19,734 kWh to the car. Since most of that mileage was on road trips, I'd say easily 98% of that power was at superchargers. I'll be generous and round it down to 19k at superchargers. The rates at the superchargers might vary, but I have heard from people in the Northeast that Elon has increased the rate several times and it is currently a flat 45 cents per kWh, doesn't seem to matter where - b/c I've heard the same rate elsewhere on the East Coast. But even if it was an average of 40 cents a kWh.... That's $8550 this year that I didn't have to spend, and if it was diesel fuel, over $13,000.

Hell yes the supercharging has a value.

I haven't read the whole thread, but if you haven't given the title to the insurance company and you intend to buy it back, then it should remain "clean" if you can work out a deal otherwise. It is only when they take it from your possession, does it become an issue?

Edit: Looking at the first page... If they are saying the value of the car is 80k and the repair cost is 36k, why are they trying to total it? Totaling a car should only happen when the repair cost crosses 75% of the value UNLESS there is confirmed damage to the passenger compartment that is nonrepairable. (Damaging the outer perimeter following around the A pillar, the doors, the rear window frame, and the bottom frame is generally considered instant total) If your car is damaged around the passenger cage, then let it go.... If not, they shouldn't be totalling you out for that repair price, it is less than 50%.

I do not see any damage to the passenger cage on your car that would indicate it as an instant total, and EVERY body shop always says that "we could find more when we start taking things apart" nonsense. That's how they cover their own arses for adding profit to the bill later. What I see on your car is cosmetic on the rear quarters (Annoying but fixable) and a replacement door, all the exterior plastic (cheap) and a couple quarter panels in the front. 36k for all that seems a bit steep, but not out of range. That shouldn't be totaled at all.

Last edited:
Here's some actual math though: I bought my MS at the end of May. Through the end of the year, I drove about 42k miles, and added 19,734 kWh to the car. Since most of that mileage was on road trips, I'd say easily 98% of that power was at superchargers. I'll be generous and round it down to 19k at superchargers. The rates at the superchargers might vary, but I have heard from people in the Northeast that Elon has increased the rate several times and it is currently a flat 45 cents per kWh, doesn't seem to matter where - b/c I've heard the same rate elsewhere on the East Coast. But even if it was an average of 40 cents a kWh.... That's $8550 this year that I didn't have to spend, and if it was diesel fuel, over $13,000.

Hell yes the supercharging has a value.

I haven't read the whole thread, but if you haven't given the title to the insurance company and you intend to buy it back, then it should remain "clean" if you can work out a deal otherwise. It is only when they take it from your possession, does it become an issue?

Edit: Looking at the first page... If they are saying the value of the car is 80k and the repair cost is 36k, why are they trying to total it? Totaling a car should only happen when the repair cost crosses 75% of the value UNLESS there is confirmed damage to the passenger compartment that is nonrepairable. (Damaging the outer perimeter following around the A pillar, the doors, the rear window frame, and the bottom frame is generally considered instant total) If your car is damaged around the passenger cage, then let it go.... If not, they shouldn't be totalling you out for that repair price, it is less than 50%.

I do not see any damage to the passenger cage on your car that would indicate it as an instant total, and EVERY body shop always says that "we could find more when we start taking things apart" nonsense. That's how they cover their own arses for adding profit to the bill later. What I see on your car is cosmetic on the rear quarters (Annoying but fixable) and a replacement door, all the exterior plastic (cheap) and a couple quarter panels in the front. 36k for all that seems a bit steep, but not out of range. That shouldn't be totaled at all.

42k miles in road trips in 6 months? That's insane and definitely not the norm. That's like almost driving around the entire planet... Twice. Impressive.