Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2020 MS… modem handshaking noises? What is this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a 2020 Model S in November 2022 from Tesla with all available options. I noticed it making an odd noise occasionally. To me, it sounds reminiscent of part of an old telephone modem handshake noise.

I have recorded the noise multiple times and had Tesla take a look multiple times when the car was there for other reasons. They always say they can’t hear it on the recordings. My hearing isn’t great. I hear it, as do people that have listened to it. It’s easier with headphones.

It MAY be a normal Tesla noise. I can’t find anything like it on the internet.

When I first noticed it, my initial (INCOMPLETE) observation was that it seemed to only occur after I had been on the interstate for a while and took an exit ramp. It seemed to predictably occur soon after that. Tesla thought maybe it had to do with rusty brakes or such. But it would sometimes occur even if I was accelerating.

Now I realize that it occurs when two conditions are met.

#1. I have been driving for a bit of distance first. If I drive the 6 miles/25 minutes to one of the places I work. That’s enough that the noise can trigger. If I drive from the Tesla Service Center to a spot 0.8 miles away, it doesn’t make the noise.

#2. It always occurs at the same spots geographically. If I don’t drive to any of those spots, it doesn’t seem to occur. There are several “spots,” not just one or two.

When I drive home for work, it will do it once at a spot not far after I take the exit. It also does it at a spot when I’m getting close to my home. No fast driving or interstate between those two occurrences.

It’s a high-pitched trilling sound that lasts a second or two at normal speeds, but lasts longer at slower speeds. Road noise partially drowns out this sound at faster speeds.

The noise is much more noticeable in person than it is on the recording. It vaguely seems to be coming from the front of the vehicle. With one or both windows down, I can’t localize it left or right and it doesn’t seem to be louder.

Once when I heard it, my car was adjusting the suspension height. I have never seen that connection again. I looked up many online sounds made by adaptive suspension, but found nothing like this.

I can’t find it. I don’t know whether it’s a normal or abnormal sound. I thought I would post and see if anyone else had any knowledge of this. It may help someone else who has noticed the same thing.

I’ll attach a couple of files so you can hear it at normal speeds and slower speeds.

In the audio recording, it is at about the 3-second mark and is admittedly a little difficult to hear. This is at normal road speeds. In the video, it is much easier to hear, but stretches longer and sounds a bit less like the modem. Imagine that one played a little faster.

Apparently I don’t know how to attach a video or a sound recording. It only gives me the option to attach static files. I’ll see if I can figure that out and add them.

It must be the newly enhanced GPS automatic suspension adjustments. Information about rough areas is shared among Teslas and automatically adjusts the suspension. You could be hearing this. Particularly the car height adjusts lower at highway speeds and more normal when going slower, so you could hear it at the entrance to the highways and near the exits, in addition to the same spots adjusting the suspension for road conditions ("pothole detection"). Just a guess.

Reactions: ewoodrick
It must be the newly enhanced GPS automatic suspension adjustments. Information about rough areas is shared among Teslas and automatically adjusts the suspension. You could be hearing this. Particularly the car height adjusts lower at highway speeds and more normal when going slower, so you could hear it at the entrance to the highways and near the exits, in addition to the same spots adjusting the suspension for road conditions ("pothole detection"). Just a guess.

Whatever is happening sure made me consider that gps was involved since it happens at the same spots every time. When did they add that feature? I got the car 11/2022, I can see that I discussed the noise with the Tesla Service Dept. 11/29/23.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I was reading his posts. Most of the times I never hear the suspension lifter but sometimes it does make weirdo noises. You should try keeping an eye on the screen next time and see if you get the message automatic suspension lifting for a more comfortable ride. Thats how i usually know Tesla is rasing up the car.

You should get a message at the bottom of the small display that says the suspension is adjusting. The feature was added in software 2022.20, but the implementation has been over time and as they collect data from other Teslas and hone the software to actually work as intended. It may not be available in all areas yet, and it may not be fully developed and/or not work correctly yet.

Your suspension can log rough areas, and then that GPS location and roughness is reported and logged to Tesla, and the GPS location and roughness is reported out to Teslas that are expected to cross that GPS location, adjusting the suspension.