Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2021 M3P slow upgrade [mod] documentation.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

So I picked up my 2021 M3P on March 14th this year and I didn't mod my car outright because I wanted to have a sense of how stock settings feel first and see what my car would need to upgrade. So here's my humble build experience I'd like to share with you.

I was mainly lurking the forum before I picked up my car and asked few questions here and there. What I noticed from fellow forum posters is that most people tend to go for either MPP or UPP for aftermarket upgrade parts. So i was just deciding between the two brand. What got me decided on MPP is because of the reputation on the customer service (god they respond to your email as fast as humanly possible that's for sure) and the color design of the product. That shiny blue just adds another level of elegance to M3P chasis after installing it. The price difference between the two are also a bit different, I found MPP parts to be more affordable for my financial capability so I pulled the trigger.

When the package arrived I felt like it was X'mas came early and I couldn't wait to open it. MPP did not disappoint and what welcomed me was a bunch of blue, solid looking aftermarket parts for the chassis.

I ordered 1) Front Upper control arm 2) Front under control arm bushing 3) Rear camber arm and the 4) front compression rod insert (this is really brilliant design by the way) because I feel like this should be enough for what I need for spirited daily drive and about 5-6x track days where I live.

For FUCA and rear camber arm, it's pretty self explanatory, I need the arms in order to get the wheels in the negative camber for track day use. Besides the obvious weight saving benefits, stock FUCA has a notorious bushing issues where it creates clunking sound while turning in my local Tesla community and it has gotten a lot of complaints by my fellow Tesla owners.

Front under control arm bushing - After installation, the handing and the pointiness has improved greatly. MPP's front under control arm bushing gives handling and turning a more direct feedback vs stock bushing.

Front compression rod insert - This is the product that totally wow'd me. The reason I am saying this is because before there was one time when I made a very emergent brake and the front end was rattling really hard when I braked. After I installed the inserts and the rattle was completely gone. This is such a cheap solution to the stock design deficits. I highly recommend everyone who owns Model 3 install this.

Coilover kits - Originally I really wanted to get the MPP sports coilover but living in Taiwan causes some warranty issues for me so after some research and for warranty convenience, I opted to install KW V3 instead where I can get it warrantied by authorized reseller should the coilover has any issues. V3 really takes a long time to get to the ideal setting. It's such an art in itself.

Conclusion: I highly recommend MPP to anyone who's thinking about upgrading their model 3 chassis, not only because MPP offers great customer service but their products are also track tested with data to support the claim. I will continue to buy their products and recommend my fellow Tesla owner friends to install them.

EEA14688-8321-41D0-918A-CD2A5BC7BA7E_1_105_c.jpeg
986D3290-3184-4725-A979-E079CA266F6F_1_105_c.jpeg
AA370C46-0C71-4A44-B56A-A386CC4A4164_1_105_c.jpeg
76305C0A-A8E0-41D4-95AF-47C01AAB7ED5_1_105_c.jpeg
52A99593-C4AD-4A30-B5D0-20A4A1146EA5_1_105_c.jpeg
131860A2-A0E6-4540-8860-7170AFAA5BA2_1_105_c.jpeg
2738E50F-7FC4-42D4-9DF6-CC0C747545D0_1_105_c.jpeg
56FA30AF-527F-4AB9-B998-AA5AF619C8B6_1_105_c.jpeg

Awesome! Thank you for sharing. How are you liking the KW suspension?

I love it, it's perfect for daily drive and canyon runs. However, I do find it not enough for track use. At least on my local track that has 23 mid speed turns. The body still rolls too much. I'm really hoping the KW would release the clubsport version. Or perhaps if anyone knows if i can purchase different type of springs to give the car more support on the load.

I love it, it's perfect for daily drive and canyon runs. However, I do find it not enough for track use. At least on my local track that has 23 mid speed turns. The body still rolls too much. I'm really hoping the KW would release the clubsport version. Or perhaps if anyone knows if i can purchase different type of springs to give the car more support on the load.
MPP has super sport spring that can be paired with rear spring arm that would give ~50% stiffer spring rate. Only thing I am not sure is if the KW v3 has enough rebound to control the stiffer spring rate.

Or perhaps if anyone knows if i can purchase different type of springs to give the car more support on the load.
According to KW, the valving of their Tesla V3 shocks can handle an increase in spring rate up to 200 lbs/in or ~ 4kg/mm. I was also told the stock V3 spring rates are ~8kg/mm front and the rear spring is progressive (don't have numbers for the rate range).
isn't MPP sports nearly the same as KW V3? I don't think if the rebound would be vastly different from each other. But i'm no expert.

For comparison purposes, my research revealed MPP's sport coilover offering runs spring rates of 8KG front and 10KG rear. I would guess that MPP's rear linear spring rate is significantly higher that KW's rear progressive spring rate. Also, there's no way to be certain what changes KW made to the valving as requested by MPP for their proprietary version of the KW V3 coilovers.
I have both front and rear sway bar from UP and set both ends at the hardest. still rolls too much.
Have you increased compression to the max (full stiff/closed) over KW's recommended starting point?