Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2023 Model X Saga

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today, despite both me and my wife being pretty sick, we ventured into the bowels of Seattle and picked up a new 2023 Model X. White/Black Long Range.
It took quite a bit of work to get to this stage--some of which was my fault.
  • We lost the title to our existing 2017 Model X so I had to make two trips to the Department of Licensing to buy a new one. $85
  • I spend countless hours negotiating with Tesla agents over a period of six or more months. They finally made me an offer I could not refuse--and no, no equine creatures were injured. The trade-in offer for my 2017 MX was on the high side of what others were offering but then they added $5000 to that.
  • I test-drove an MX with a yoke. I was skeptical at first wondering if I could drive safely without having to look down at the controls. I could. Sure, it took a few minutes, but then things fell into place.
  • We did not get a full walk-through as in 2017 because we were too sick to wait for it, but the test-drive dealer (about a month ago) had already shown me the basics. However, when it came time to pull into traffic I realized that the yoke was not angled right and was too far away. Finding the right screen and the right (tiny) icon was a challenge. But I got it set well enough to get home.
  • I kept the windshield sunscreen hoping it would fit. Nope, not exactly, but close enough and with the sun shades extended, it was held in place nicely. I expect that saved me another couple of c-notes.
  • I had a dickens of a time finding the USB port(s) where I could plug in my Sentry Mode USB key. It turns out they are the new USB-C type connectors. I have an adapter and got it to work (I think), but the positioning of the port makes me nervous that something I slide into the forward compartment will snap off the memory stick. Working on a solution for that.
  • I also had a Weathertec cargo-bay floor liner kept from the 2017 MX. It fit fine--just leaving the little book-sized hatch on the left exposed.
  • I opted for 5 seats this time as I could not justify the added expense of a third row that would only accommodate munchkins or little kids (of which I have none). I discovered another cavernous space beneath the cargo bay floor big enough for a big suitcase or the leader of the lollypop guild (lying down). Strategizing how to leverage these two enormous spaces is going to be a challenge as if I load stuff on top of the covers, the contents will be inaccessible without unloading everything.
  • The 2023 MX did not come with a Mobile Charge Connector so I kept my 2017 version. It did come with an adaptor for the ChargePoint-style charging cable. Now I have two. ;)
  • I like the new narrow-eyed look on the 2023 MX.
  • I also understand the low-voltage DC battery is no longer 12VDC but 16VDC but I should not have to worry about that for five years (I hope).
  • I like the way the air is controlled and the heated yoke.
  • I sat in the back seat to discover those riders have full control over their temperature and airflow and can watch naughty movies on Netflix while I drive. I also saw where I can lock that screen if they get rambunctious.
  • The driver's seat seems more comfortable. Consider that I'm a large guy (6'2" and 265 lbs.) so a comfortable (and wide) seat is a big plus.
  • We noticed a far quieter ride and even sitting still the street noise was dramatically (IMHO) quieter.
  • I was advised by the test-drive agent that if you open the passenger door with the emergency handle, you must lower the window somewhat before closing it. I don't know if that's true, but I don't plan to test it.
  • I plan to mount my Yaesu FTM-400 (or 500 if it comes soon enough) ham radio to the left of the yoke. Thankfully, ProClips has a great way to attach the control head to the dash without screws or damage to the plastic. I want to mount the radio itself on the frunk wall which would make for far easier cable routing. DC power can't come from the Tesla battery though--the radio can take 12-14.7VDC (not 16VDC). This will take more research. On the 2017 MX, I tapped into the tow-hitch trailer brake outlet. Perhaps that's still available. The antenna should work fine on either side of the frunk lid with a trunk-lip mount.
  • I noticed it was taking longer to charge. And then I remembered, 100% is 350 (some odd) miles, not 220 like before. Sure, I just charge to 80% but it will be nice to have a bit more range between pitstops.
  • I didn't opt for the FSD (listed @ $15,000) but they did offer it to me for $9000. Interesting. I don't know if I will miss it as I qualified for the beta on the 2017 MX.
  • I also didn't opt to spend my $3000 discount on free supercharging for 3 years. Since I charged at home 95% of the time, I don't see the point.
  • Angel II is a sweet ride, but I expect she hasn't shown me all her special features.

2017_Tesla_Model_X_100D_Front (1).jpg

"2017 Tesla Model X 100D Front" by Vauxford is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Imaged added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Today, despite both me and my wife being pretty sick, we ventured into the bowels of Seattle and picked up a new 2023 Model X. White/Black Long Range.
  • We lost the title to our existing 2017 Model X so I had to make two trips to the Department of Licensing to buy a new one. $85
  • I spend countless hours negotiating with Tesla agents over a period of six or more months. They finally made me an offer I could not refuse--and no, no equine creatures were injured. The trade-in offer for my 2017 MX was on the high side of what others were offering but then they added $5000 to that.
  • I test-drove an MX with a yoke. I was skeptical at first wondering if I could drive safely without having to look down at the controls. I could. Sure, it took a few minutes, but then things fell into place.
  • We did not get a full walk-through as in 2017 because we were too sick to wait for it, but the test-drive dealer (about a month ago) had already shown me the basics. However, when it came time to pull into traffic I realized that the yoke was not angled right and was too far away. Finding the right screen and the right (tiny) icon was a challenge. But I got it set well enough to get home.
  • I kept the windshield sunscreen hoping it would fit. Nope, not exactly, but close enough and with the sun shades extended, it was held in place nicely. I expect that saved me another couple of c-notes.
  • I had a dickens of a time finding the USB port(s) where I could plug in my Sentry Mode USB key. It turns out they are the new USB-C type connectors. I have an adapter and got it to work (I think), but the positioning of the port makes me nervous that something I slide into the forward compartment will snap off the memory stick. Working on a solution for that.
  • I also had a Weathertec cargo-bay floor liner kept from the 2017 MX. It fit fine--just leaving the little book-sized hatch on the left exposed.
  • I opted for 5 seats this time as I could not justify the added expense of a third row that would only accommodate munchkins or little kids (of which I have none). I discovered another cavernous space beneath the cargo bay floor big enough for a big suitcase or the leader of the lollypop guild (lying down). Strategizing how to leverage these two enormous spaces is going to be a challenge as if I load stuff on top of the covers, the contents will be inaccessible without unloading everything.
  • The 2023 MX did not come with a Mobile Charge Connector so I kept my 2017 version. It did come with an adaptor for the ChargePoint-style charging cable. Now I have two. ;)
  • I also understand the low-voltage DC battery is no longer 12VDC but 16VDC but I should not have to worry about that for five years (I hope).
  • I sat in the back seat to discover those riders have full control over their temperature and airflow and can watch naughty movies on Netflix while I drive. I also saw where I can lock that screen if they get rambunctious.
  • The driver's seat seems more comfortable. Consider that I'm a large guy (6'2" and 265 lbs.) so a comfortable (and wide) seat is a big plus.
  • We noticed a far quieter ride and even sitting still the street noise was dramatically (IMHO) quieter.
  • I was advised by the test-drive agent that if you open the passenger door with the emergency handle, you must lower the window somewhat before closing it. I don't know if that's true, but I don't plan to test it.
  • I plan to mount my Yaesu FTM-400 (or 500 if it comes soon enough) ham radio to the left of the yoke. Thankfully, ProClips has a great way to attach the control head to the dash without screws or damage to the plastic. I want to mount the radio itself on the frunk wall which would make for far easier cable routing. DC power can't come from the Tesla battery though--the radio can take 12-14.7VDC (not 16VDC). This will take more research. On the 2017 MX, I tapped into the tow-hitch trailer brake outlet. Perhaps that's still available. The antenna should work fine on either side of the frunk lid with a trunk-lip mount.
  • I noticed it was taking longer to charge. And then I remembered, 100% is 350 (some odd) miles, not 220 like before. Sure, I just charge to 80% but it will be nice to have a bit more range between pitstops.
  • I didn't opt for the FSD (listed @ $15,000) but they did offer it to me for $9000. Interesting. I don't know if I will miss it as I qualified for the beta on the 2017 MX.
  • I also didn't opt to spend my $3000 discount on free supercharging for 3 years. Since I charged at home 95% of the time, I don't see the point.
  • Angel II is a sweet ride, but I expect she hasn't shown me all her special features.
There should already be a USB stick inside the glove compartment - that is dedicated for Sentry.

Attachments

• 20220508_080614.jpg
    20220508_080614.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 459

View attachment 912581
I wonder how you negotiated a price for your trade-in. In my case, in September 2022, there was no one to talk to, the local dealership said that offers are non-negotiable, and Tesla screwed me $8500 below the trade-in estimate they'd given me a month before. Mine was a low mileage, perfect condition, Signature Model X.

View attachment 912581
Hilarious review. I dig your dry-ish sense of humor. Thought you were kidding about the ham radio—apparently not. Sorry to hear you and the wife have been sick. Hope it’s not serious and that you both are on the mend. Beautiful NEW Model X—BTW. Would love to have purchased one to replace our HONDA Odyssey (3 kids in sports), but then at $130k-ish, I can’t justify that kind of spend—third row notwithstanding. I’m happy with my 2023 Model Y. Just wish it was larger. (FWIW: Model Y is—hands down—THE BEST value in TESLA’s current line-up.)

View attachment 912581
Tesla lithium should be 14.8 volts so you may be okay and I would check with Yaesu is there is usually a +/- variation on it. de VE3ZAV

View attachment 912581
Who do you negotiate with? All the people at the local dealer say they have no ability to do anything, that you have to use the web site and then don’t get the actual trade in offer until after you pay the $250 non-refundable order fee. And there’s no contact info for real people anywhere else….

I am glad for you because my experience was not as fun. It is loud, and I mean loud that I heard my wife leaving from inside of the house. My middle row is broken. It gets stuck and is almost impossible to get back. Best of luck and good fortune to you sir.

The sound the vehicle makes in reverse is "by design." Some state and federal laws and the NHTSA now require a warning sound to protect pedestrians and the visually impaired. I read a story that implied that the sound can be changed. I have not tried this. Check out "boom box."
I also saw a ridiculous story that said the sound is made when the electric motors run in reverse--it claims that electric motors are not designed to run backwards which is pure poppycock.

Reactions: AW9nineteen
If not required in your area by law, I have seen a dongle that can be plugged in where the speaker is that will keep the car thinking that there is a speaker but no sound (obviously) as it is gone. I see no downside from getting peoples attention when reversing and at least it is not the industrial BEEP BEEP BEEP !

Reactions: AW9nineteen
If not required in your area by law, I have seen a dongle that can be plugged in where the speaker is that will keep the car thinking that there is a speaker but no sound (obviously) as it is gone. I see no downside from getting peoples attention when reversing and at least it is not the industrial BEEP BEEP BEEP !
I absolutely H-A-T-E my Jetson’s reverse sound and wish I could disable it while retaining the use of my TESLA Model Y’s external speaker. Sadly, the only way to disable this without doing so with software disables the external speaker altogether.