Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY 2024 Refresh - Project Juniper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These cars are amazing. I was one of the fence sitters for close to a year for the reasons you cited. I made the move and took delivery a little over a week ago in part because the price cut was worth it for me. Now if you finance, maybe interest rates will slightly correct ;) but not by much and you can refinance. I’ve never owned a Tesla and am now sitting in a MYP. I am an attention to details person, make thoughtful decisions and find enjoyment with nerding out on tech. I had read so much leading up to this purchase… I had convinced myself I was make a bad decision even driving to the delivery center. I walked around my car and felt like I won the lottery cause it was without any clear issues. I was coming from a 2016 Acura ILX. The car, drive quality and tech in the vehicle is great. The suspension in the MY is so soft; I almost wish it was firmer. I can’t see anyone finding this ride harsh. I expected a rigid go-cart from reading these forums with canyons for panel gaps and skid marks on the seats. The quality is up to snuff. The paint work is beautiful - multi white. I can’t see the “threat” of HW4 being of any significant relevance for general daily use. FSD without significant kinks won’t be here before you are looking for a new car anyway. Autopilot is fantastic at its current iteration. On non highway roads I’ve see it get confused with lane merges or roundabouts but that’s a pure software issue, not hardware. Long winded way of saying, don’t sit around and wait, get out there and enjoy this car! I’m generally a happier person for having made the purchase :)
I also came from a 2016 Acura ILX before I got the MY, which I ordered in Sept 2021 so I locked in prior to all the crazy price increases. I took delivery in Feb 2022. So far the car has been great and no real problems. The only service issues i've had was a drivers door sticking out about 1 mm more than it should - mobile service came and fixed in about 30 seconds. The other issue was the drivers seat being slightly loose. Made appointment at service center and they removed the seat and reattached it - all good now.

The paint (white) and panel gaps look fine to me. I personally don't care about FSD as I will never trust it anyway. I just use the regular Autopilot when I'm on a freeway and even then I often turn it off if I sense "jumpy" drivers around me.

Reactions: WyoDude
Looking good. I could take or leave the exterior changes, but the cooled seats and what appears to be significantly upgraded interior materials (and ambient lighting) are very attractive. Very disappointed they got rid of the turn signal stalk though. I imagine properly signaling while going around a roundabout (a requirement in Europe; less common in the US) will be a pain, trying to find buttons on the wheel while you’re turning it every which way.

It also has a front bumper cam…something I think might significantly help with the MY’s crappy camera-based park assist system.

I am disappointed that they did not add 2 front cameras (behind or on the side of the headlights) to help detecting coming cars for left and right turn.
If the car has those 2 new cameras, FSD does not have to dangerously creep too close to the traffic (5-6 feet too close). Most of my FSD disengagements happen at the intersections of high traffic (45+ mph). In slow neighborhoods, FSD also has problem with left or right turn when there are cars parked close to the corner of the intersection.

Last edited:
Reactions: Watts_Up
Very disappointed they got rid of the turn signal stalk though. I imagine properly signaling while going around a roundabout (a requirement in Europe; less common in the US) will be a pain, trying to find buttons on the wheel while you’re turning it every which way.
Pretty much every modern car has several buttons on the steering wheel that millions of people operate while driving everyday, I don’t think this will be a problem for the majority.

Reactions: richyrich
Pretty much every modern car has several buttons on the steering wheel that millions of people operate while driving everyday, I don’t think this will be a problem for the majority.
Sure, but to the @rogersmj point while we’ve all become accustomed to buttons on steering wheels, it’s a little different trying to find the correct button when the wheel is rapidly being turned 45-90 degrees while circling a roundabout and required to indicate which polar coordinate exit one is going to take. Most ppl aren’t trying to change the volume, answer or end a call, scroll through audio channels WHILE navigating a roundabout.

Reactions: Noflash
Let's apply a little critical thinking here. None of the buttons typically on the steering wheel are for legally required functions like signaling. If you're mid-turn, having to figure out where your turn signal buttons moved to is a lot more important than changing the stereo volume. I promise you it's going to create problems for some people — I drove a sports car with paddle shifters for years, and the paddles unfortunately turned with the wheel. When I was hand-over-hand in a turn, even after driving the car for years, I still had to think too much about which one to pull to get the gear change I wanted. There's a reason high end sports cars often fix the paddles in place (not mine, unfortunately) — they recognize it's better if critical controls don't move positions.

Let's apply a little critical thinking here. None of the buttons typically on the steering wheel are for legally required functions like signaling. If you're mid-turn, having to figure out where your turn signal buttons moved to is a lot more important than changing the stereo volume. I promise you it's going to create problems for some people — I drove a sports car with paddle shifters for years, and the paddles unfortunately turned with the wheel. When I was hand-over-hand in a turn, even after driving the car for years, I still had to think too much about which one to pull to get the gear change I wanted. There's a reason high end sports cars often fix the paddles in place (not mine, unfortunately) — they recognize it's better if critical controls don't move positions.
Possible anyone has found a good "unbiased" video showing turn signal buttons on wheel requiring to be used like that?

I think its a Very good example that has been made many times, but also have not seen it proven out.

Possible anyone has found a demo to help inform those of us curious about the topic, like with the yoke or new wheel on S?

Reactions: richyrich
What do you mean “unbiased” video? This isn’t someone’s YouTube opinion, it’s legally required in many parts of Europe to signal a certain way in roundabouts. If you’ve spent any significant amount of time driving in Europe this wouldn’t be a mystery. It would probably be a good idea in America too, but few people do (and I live in one of the roundabout capitals of the US). So it’s probably functionally not a big deal in America but it is in the EU where you routinely switch your signals in the middle of a roundabout while your wheel is turned.

Possible anyone has found a good "unbiased" video showing turn signal buttons on wheel requiring to be used like that?

I think its a Very good example that has been made many times, but also have not seen it proven out.

Possible anyone has found a demo to help inform those of us curious about the topic, like with the yoke or new wheel on S?

I was just watching the video from "Bjørn Nyland" during his "
"

The Tesla driver was passing by a roundabout and to indicate that he was exiting
had to move way one of his hands from the steering wheel to reach the blinker signal.

Model 3 Highland - Blinker Inside Runabout .jpg

Reactions: rotarypower101
This was my idea. Didn’t get any feedback so maybe people use nav less than me. I probably do 80% of my miles on bad uk fsd/autopilot. 10% manual on nav and 10% manual without nav.
That’s fine if you’re using nav/FSD but I’m willing to bet the vast majority of people running errands in their home town — when they know exactly where everything is and what route they want to take — aren’t going to bother spending time plugging their destination into their nav just so their freaking turn signals work. I know where my grocery store is, I know where my kids’ sports practice is. I don’t need to put it in the nav. Plus, auto turn signals work now with the stalk, so you can have it both ways…if you have a stalk.

Everyone trying to defend Tesla on this needs to face it: putting turn signals as steering wheel buttons is a solution in search of a problem, and is just going to create other problems. This is one of those times Tesla needs to suck it up and spend the extra $20 per car or whatever to just put a damn turn signal stalk in. This is a solved problem and is one thing that doesn’t need to be reimagined.

I plan to buy MYP this month but already see speculation that the Y will get the same major refresh (front, tail lights, vented seats, rear screen, etc.) as M3 very soon. I understand changed are never ending, which is good, but this one may be worth holding out for. What is the speculation when this will happen to the Y? Thanks.