Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 3 was hit by a teenager; what can/should be claimed for this damage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Sunday, a 16 year old on a learner's permit made an unprotected left turn and apparently didn't see me:

Fortunately, I wasn't going very fast, as the speed limit on this street is 35 MPH. My Model 3 was delivered July 2018 and has FSD. The airbags didn't deploy and the car wasn't disabled. Here is the damage:

Image from iOS (2).jpg

Image from iOS (3).jpg

For those wondering, I asked for a flatbed, but the tow truck company opted to put the rear wheels on a dolly. I had the car towed straight to my body shop. I'm fine, but my wife had to go to a chiropractor. The police and my insurance already said this is the other party's fault.

My question is what can/should be claimed for this damage? Diminished value? My insurance is Ameriprise and the other party's insurance is a Progressive commercial policy.

You want full rental reimbursement. It’s well known that repairs can take longer than normal for Teslas.

I would also request a Model 3 as a rental. This is less likely, but it’s worth a try.

If the car is not totaled, ask for loss of value. Tally up any other expenses associated with the accident and provide copies of receipts to Progressive for reimbursement.

Reactions: rothstmd
Hope your wife is okay.

A car stopping to your left that isn't turning, is always a "be careful" moment, since there's always the possibility of a car or person crossing in front of the stopped vehicle.

That's what I was thinking. I would keep this video for personal use only. I have read about at fault cases when, vehicles are stopped while light is green. What the police say and the insurance company are 2 different opinions.

You want full rental reimbursement. It’s well known that repairs can take longer than normal for Teslas.

I would also request a Model 3 as a rental. This is less likely, but it’s worth a try.

If the car is not totaled, ask for loss of value. Tally up any other expenses associated with the accident and provide copies of receipts to Progressive for reimbursement.

This is why I have Tesla Insurance :) Tesla rentals 100% paid for.

Hope your wife is okay.

A car stopping to your left that isn't turning, is always a "be careful" moment, since there's always the possibility of a car or person crossing in front of the stopped vehicle.

Is it not turning? It looks like its blinkers are on to me. Apparently it's not being driven by someone with their learners permit because they're actually yielding.

I don't see anything the OP could have done to have avoided that. The turning vehicle reduced his view, and thereby the time to react.

Thanks for the kind words about my wife! She is doing well.

Wow! Gave that Range Rover a decent kick!

Yeah, I was surprised at how much the Land River moved, and that car had only scuffs! My car took the majority of the damage.

Did the car's auto braking intervene at all?

I don’t believe so. If it did, it wasn’t enough for me to notice.

This is why I have Tesla Insurance :) Tesla rentals 100% paid for.

I would too, but Ameriprise was cheaper for me. I also have a backup car, so I’ve been using that until Progressive contacts me.

That sucks. I will say in these incidents I ALWAYS slow down before the intersection. Unfortunately, even doing so I believe I would have only hit the kid at a slightly reduced speed.

Unfortunately, this street is notorious for this since all of the left turns are unprotected.

Is it not turning? It looks like its blinkers are on to me. Apparently it's not being driven by someone with their learners permit because they're actually yielding.

Not sure if this is sarcasm, but he was definitely on a learners permit. He actually didn’t even have it on him, just a picture of it on his phone.

@domorobigato,

Not that it matters but we’re you on AutoPilot or driving? Curious if AEB would have triggered and stopped you in time. That was pretty short notice. On another note...a Teen In a Land Rover? Pretty good hit. That LR is built like a tank. What was its damage....light scratch on the bumper?

Ski

• Funny
Reactions: afadeev
@domorobigato,

Not that it matters but we’re you on AutoPilot or driving? Curious if AEB would have triggered and stopped you in time. That was pretty short notice. On another note...a Teen In a Land Rover? Pretty good hit. That LR is built like a tank. What was its damage....light scratch on the bumper?

Ski

I wasn't on Autopilot. The accident happened in Burlingame/Hillsborough, which is a very affluent part of the Bay Area. Check out the real estate there. The Land Rover had scratches on the bumper, a half removed fender flare, and a hole in the radiator.

Hope you're ok, Front doesn't look too bad, but with a Tesla it's hard to tell.

Wow, isn't that's a pre-70 California license plate?

It's the 60s throwback plate that you can order from the DMV.

Reactions: St☰v☰