Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 3 was hit by a teenager; what can/should be claimed for this damage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it not turning? It looks like its blinkers are on to me. Apparently it's not being driven by someone with their learners permit because they're actually yielding.

I don't see anything the OP could have done to have avoided that. The turning vehicle reduced his view, and thereby the time to react.
You're right, my bad. Didn't see the blinks when I watched it.

This is why I have Tesla Insurance :) Tesla rentals 100% paid for.

Really? I though all insurance got a limit on rental car ... like $50 for 20 days per incident. That's why people said to go with the other person's insurance if they are at fault. Are you saying that with Tesla Insurance, you get a "Tesla" as rental unlimited time until your Tesla is fixed? Seem pretty crazy for them to offer that knowing their average repair time.....

Yes, it's certainly his fault, but I would have never passed a stopped car on the right like that. Not at full speed and especially not when I can't see past it. It's way too likely they're stopped for a good reason. You're lucky they weren't stopped for a pedestrian that then walked out in front of you.

I saw a kid nearly get killed that way. Running across the street against a light and a car going through in the right lane when the left lane was stopped missed her by inches. I was standing on the sidewalk she was heading towards.

• Helpful
Reactions: afadeev and Joshan
Really? I though all insurance got a limit on rental car ... like $50 for 20 days per incident. That's why people said to go with the other person's insurance if they are at fault. Are you saying that with Tesla Insurance, you get a "Tesla" as rental unlimited time until your Tesla is fixed? Seem pretty crazy for them to offer that knowing their average repair time.....
Yup :)

Yes, it's certainly his fault, but I would have never passed a stopped car on the right like that. Not at full speed and especially not when I can't see past it. It's way too likely they're stopped for a good reason. You're lucky they weren't stopped for a pedestrian that then walked out in front of you.

I saw a kid nearly get killed that way. Running across the street against a light and a car going through in the right lane when the left lane was stopped missed her by inches. I was standing on the sidewalk she was heading towards.
The stopped car had his left turn signal on. The reason he was stopped was because he was turning.

Reactions: Jack007 and Phlier
@domorobigato,

Not that it matters but we’re you on AutoPilot or driving? Curious if AEB would have triggered and stopped you in time. That was pretty short notice. On another note...a Teen In a Land Rover? Pretty good hit. That LR is built like a tank. What was its damage....light scratch on the bumper?

Ski
AEB has nothing to do with AP

The Tesla crumpled, while the Land Rover didn't. Your repair bill will be higher, but the car absorbed more of the kinetic energy in the collision and passed less of it on to you. In the LR, the car absorbed less of the energy in the collision and passed more of it on to their passengers. So, while it's no fun to have more damage, it's better to have less energy passed to you.

Turning drivers, on that road, have to clear 2 lanes (not easy in a boat), and it's the 2nd lane that they need to watch out for. Once, they've got the first lane stopped, they should just edge into it, and peek at the 2nd lane before proceeding. One lane at a time. Making a turn because the first lane stopped, and assuming the 2nd lane is clear is always how drivers get into accidents. Generally at night, it's easier, because you can see the oncoming car's headlight shadow, even if you can't see the car yet. Unfortunately, the turning LR had an inexperienced driver at the wheel. Can't win em all. Just glad everyone's safe.

Attachments

• 0BD94F9A-6D81-4385-B3B0-7F4A66DB12D7.jpeg
    0BD94F9A-6D81-4385-B3B0-7F4A66DB12D7.jpeg
    655.3 KB · Views: 72
  • F8FE874B-D2A8-4D49-B392-8EB6E32073DF.jpeg
    F8FE874B-D2A8-4D49-B392-8EB6E32073DF.jpeg
    431.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 71DF47B8-B914-4DC2-8955-6259EB2EE19E.jpeg
    71DF47B8-B914-4DC2-8955-6259EB2EE19E.jpeg
    462.3 KB · Views: 59
  • CA965B43-2AE0-43AB-A998-333E83D21BC1.jpeg
    CA965B43-2AE0-43AB-A998-333E83D21BC1.jpeg
    431 KB · Views: 53
  • 9C91A01A-08BB-4D79-98C3-BC572E235551.jpeg
    9C91A01A-08BB-4D79-98C3-BC572E235551.jpeg
    529.2 KB · Views: 53
  • F65CB8DE-88D2-4DF6-8E6E-0C459FC96B06.jpeg
    F65CB8DE-88D2-4DF6-8E6E-0C459FC96B06.jpeg
    313.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Helpful
Reactions: hoang51
Hope your wife is okay.

A car stopping to your left that isn't turning, is always a "be careful" moment, since there's always the possibility of a car or person crossing in front of the stopped vehicle.
Exactly. My motto is "be curious", especially when approaching intersections with traffic lights. At the beginning of the video each driver had the opportunity to see the other. Factor in a stale green light, looming zone blockage, and everybody's desire to make it thru the light before it turns red. Time to trim some speed.

Reactions: KenC
I don't see anything the OP could have done to have avoided that. The turning vehicle reduced his view, and thereby the time to react.

We have a similar road situation here- about 5 blocks of two lanes each direction, with people wanting to turn left across traffic. We were having 1-2 accidents per week, and they were sometimes pretty bad, with a 30mph limit and narrow lanes and massive trees close to the curb. Almost every accident was exactly like the OP's. A good friend totaled his new Accord there. The city finally got wise and prohibited all left turns across traffic, put in a light for left turns at the most useful cross street, and lowered the limit to 25, and pretty much all the accidents went away overnight.
My friend's accident was technically the 17 year old's fault who crossed his path, but I blame him: having survived 30 years as a motorcyclist, I never drive where I can't stop in time or see an escape route to get out of the way of everything that might come my way.

• Helpful
Reactions: hoang51 and KenC