Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 30 mins car wash setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This process is aided by the DIY ceramic coating for $70 I installed on the car myself after I got the clear bra installed.

Before the tesla I got a power washer on amazon (most well reviewers) model knowing I would want to wash the car myself and not leave it to the automatic washer or the 100% hand wash place that will still swirl mark my car. My electric leaf blower from Home Depot I got a few months ago, partillay blow the leaves but to also help me wash my car future “nice car.” The foam cannon was $17 on amazon. Bucket with grit guard from target, one towel to spot dry, one doing for lowest 10% of the car, and a nice wash mitt. All were about $20 or lesss. These supplies were from target. Not pictured is the rain-x for window and dyson handheld vaccum I’ve had for 5 yrs (I don’t normally clean the inside each week, usually 1x a month). Just a quick vacuum on the floor mat usually is what I do and leather cleaner 1-2x a month.

Now I know two bucket method for some people is a must but since I pressure wash the car, then foam cannon, then pressure was it again it’s pretty clean from debris that can scratch the pain. It’s not necessary. When I use the wash mitt I, practice a super light touch. Do not put pressure on the paint!

Same thing for drying. The leave blower on full turbo power gets rid of 90% of the water, again that’s aided my the ceramic coating that beads water. I use one tower the green side to dry. The grey side for the glass. Super light touch when drying. I basically glide the towel lightly. Going on an up/down movement 1-2x per panel. No side to side or gosh definitely no circles!!! Car is dry in less than 5 mins.

Supplies ran around $270. The leaf blower was a refurbished model on Home Depot ($140/with charger and battery!). The battery pack alone for the blower buying it new is actually $130! So I got a steal on the leaf blower. And yes I use it to leaf blow leaves and grass clippings as well.

It beats paying $25 for a hand wash place where they don’t practice the OCD washing tendencies I do. Only an owner would care about their car 100%. The supplies and ceramic coating helps the process not feel annoying. I can wash my car after work to de-stress for example.

Attachments

• C3E18B59-51F8-4C0E-93DB-C8AF861EE65F.jpeg
    C3E18B59-51F8-4C0E-93DB-C8AF861EE65F.jpeg
    443 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
Reactions: KenC
Whoa! Using a leave blower on full turbo power, that's amusing!

c3e18b59-51f8-4c0e-93db-c8af861ee65f-jpeg.419873

- I just spray occasionally some water over my car to remove the dust and let it dry.

Note: After getting my brand new car, I noticed some reflection on the windshield when facing the sun,
and there was some noticeable rectangular (2"x3") dirty spots nears each corners.

The only thing that I did thoroughly was to wash the inside of the windshield using a soap cleaner, sponge, and clear water.

At first, it was a little bit hard to scrub, but then it became very smooth, and after removing any soap,
my windshield is now clear and transparent like if there was no glass.

I guess, there was a little bit of grease left when manufacturing the windshield,
and the four spots were the location used by the robot to handle the windshield.

Last edited:
....- I just spray occasionally some water over my car to remove the dust and let it dry.....
Municipal/well water contains corrosive minerals (rain is OK, almost no minerals but can be acidic). Never leave municipal water on to dry. It can spot the clear coat and even etch into it over time. This will require compound to remove. If you are ceramic coated it will protect the clear coat but I would still remove with microfiber towels. No sense in spotting the ceramic coat either.

EDIT: Just to add for dust only a California duster is OK but you MUST follow directions (just touching paint and holding weight off car).

Municipal/well water contains corrosive minerals (rain is OK, almost no minerals but can be acidic).
Never leave municipal water on to dry. It can spot the clear coat and even etch into it over time.
This will require compound to remove.
If you are ceramic coated it will protect the clear coat but I would still remove with microfiber towels.
No sense in spotting the ceramic coat either.

EDIT: Just to add for dust only a California duster is OK but you MUST follow directions (just touching paint and holding weight off car).
How do you wash you dishes? Do you use bottled water?

I drink tap water, I have a carbon filter for chlorine, is it bad?

How do you wash you dishes? Do you use bottled water?

I drink tap water, I have a carbon filter for chlorine, is it bad?
Not sure of any correlation between paint/clear coat and dishes but I use Jet Dry to reduce mineral spots.

Also minerals are a nutritional requirement and give water it's taste. Rain water (or distilled water) is very bland tasting. But again unrelated to a paint finish.

Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 7.16.02 PM.png

You have to be carefully with water pressure. Don’t go on the edge and avoid certain areas. This is my practice anyways.

As a safe practice I say don’t do it. But if you know where to spray I think it’s it’s fine. I’ve washed mine multiple times using the 40* degree nozzle. Pressure washer is 1500 psi.

my 30 minute wash is nearly the same

car is cquartz uk 3.0 & Gliss v2 coated 100% and some PPF on front bumper

1) pressure rinse car
2) foam cannon car w/ griots garage foaming soap
3) wheel and tires if im feeling extra OCD (meguiars wheel degreaser)
4) pressure rinse soap off car
5) 2 bucket carpro reset
6) pressure rinse car, flood car with stream of water
7) leaf blower dries car to 95%, very little water left after step 6 anyway
8) small microfiber for drips and door/trunk jams

1-8 take about 30-40 minutes

last step ever other wash is cover the car in a SiO2 topcoat like reload or bead maker adds about 5 more minutes

I have the same PW as you. I purchased quick connects which are much nicer to use. Now after a PW with the foam cannon I fill a bucket with soapy foam water. I have a bunch of wash mitts. Each mitt I use on one side, flip it use the other side, and pitch it into an empty bucket. One and done and then they get washed dried for the next wash. My leaf blow is a dedicated $18 unit from Sun Joe that has 155 mph wind speed. Light and easy to hold. I have PFF on the bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors and rocker panels. On those I'll just use a MF towel instead of a wash mitt. Very happy with Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax.