Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 3rd door handle failure in 2 years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Shock-On-T

⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️
Jun 26, 2016
Sydney
I've had driver's door, then passenger door, now driver's door handle again fail since buying my Model S new in October 2016, 2 years 4 months ago.
I'm on 94,000kms, so just past the 80,000km warranty limit.
This should be covered under Australian Consumer Law, right? Even though it's past the warranty distance, I'm sure this comes under the acceptable quality provision of the ACL.
Anyone have similar experience?

My only door Handle failure was outside of warranty (130,000kms) Tesla still repaired it FOC, I guess they're still not addressing the 2 weak points in the door handle and still using inferior parts.
There is an aftermarket business in the USA with complete repair kits, if you're going to bother with all the effort of having the door handle removed its best to rebuild the whole unit and provide a permanent fix. ( almost permanent because anything that moves dozens of times per week at the hands of humans is never bullet proof)

I've had driver's door, then passenger door, now driver's door handle again fail since buying my Model S new in October 2016, 2 years 4 months ago.
I'm on 94,000kms, so just past the 80,000km warranty limit.
This should be covered under Australian Consumer Law, right? Even though it's past the warranty distance, I'm sure this comes under the acceptable quality provision of the ACL.
Anyone have similar experience?
I’ve used consumer law multiple times with success for issues outside warranty - not with tesla though as I’ve always been in warranty. Most companies initially refuse, but when I point out the law, they always change their mind. But beware, if you buy cheap rubbish, the expectation is that the item is disposable, so the ACL will not help you.

I’ve used consumer law multiple times with success for issues outside warranty - not with tesla though as I’ve always been in warranty. Most companies initially refuse, but when I point out the law, they always change their mind. But beware, if you buy cheap rubbish, the expectation is that the item is disposable, so the ACL will not help you.
Thanks for the info.
I noticed in the ACL that they do take into account the expense of the car into deciding how long it should last. That's encouraging to me, because a $150K car should certainly be able to open the drivers door for longer than 2 years :)
I've already told the service centre I'm happy to appeal through the ACL, which I hate to do because they're all such a nice bunch of people and we've shared the journey together the whole way. I've brought them pastries and cakes in the past!

I have no idea about the details of the ACL as I'm not an Australian, but I wanted to pass along some info about a cheaper, stronger and DIY solution for broken Model S door handles you might want to check out if you end up not having this covered.

Model S Door Handle Rebuild Kit/Service

I've bought 4 of those kits in an attempt to future proof my 2015 Model S none of which I've used yet. The one failure I have had was repaired under warranty by Tesla.
But last Friday morning I found the handles would not present. My work around was to open the rear hatch which caused the handles to present. I have not tried the phone app but I imagine that would also work. Anyway the handles have now started to respond to pressing in by presenting but very slow response from both front doors and showing every indication that next time they may not respond. This is a different failure mode than the last failure so I'm a bit confused just where the failure might be (I have not tried re-booting either of the two computers that owners have the ability to re-boot). While this is not a show stopping fault I'll just watch and see how things develop before contacting Tesla service or attempting my own repair (at the time of my first failure I did remove the handle just to see what had died but this does not seem like a typical micro switch or broken wire problem).

@ShockOnT why not just extend your warranty if you intend to keep the car?
I made a judgement that it wasn’t worth $6000, since the big ticket items (motors and battery) were covered, and that other items would probably either not fail, or would be covered by ACL, or cost less than $6000.
So far so good.
I’ll probably sell it when it’s 5 years old, or a new Model S is out, whichever comes sooner.

@ShockOnT fair enough, however most of the items (including door) handles are covered under the warranty...also you could use the RedBook after market warranty at about 75% less as an option....

I am tossing up a new S or warranty extension come Dec '19.....I am convinced, like you it would seem, that a new S is worth waiting for.....that or bugger it I'll get a 3 as we do most of our KM's in the X now....decisions decisions....

@EcoCloudIT the 3 is certainly interesting. It’s what I reserved years ago then couldn’t wait and got the S.
I carry a lot of equipment in the boot, so really like the S for that, but if I didn’t need the big boot I’d probably go the 3. I like how efficient it is.

@EcoCloudIT the 3 is certainly interesting. It’s what I reserved years ago then couldn’t wait and got the S.
I carry a lot of equipment in the boot, so really like the S for that, but if I didn’t need the big boot I’d probably go the 3. I like how efficient it is.
The model 3 boot entry is rubbish. Even a moderate load of supermarket shopping will require heavy bags to be pushed back and under. It’s the only issue preventing me from buying one. The big model s boot opening is so much more practical.

Reactions: tccartier
@ShockOnT agreed, I also have a day 1 reservation of the 3....however I believe Tesla will send so may 3's when they go release that all the backlog will be handled in the first 60-90 days.....

I used to lug around a lot of server equipment, the S is gold for this but now I have access to the X and on-top of really doing everything cloud based I feel the a 3 would be more appropriate.....

The model 3 boot entry is rubbish. Even a moderate load of supermarket shopping will require heavy bags to be pushed back and under. It’s the only issue preventing me from buying one. The big model s boot opening is so much more practical.
Yep, Tesla really missed a trick on that one.
I think they cared more about the all-glass roof than the practicality. Bit of a mistake in my humble opinion, but I'm sure they'll still sell plenty.
Model Y could be a better option.

Similar experience recently. I had the driver's door handle fail and a mobile tech came out to do the job. Internal parts like the spring (original mechanism 2015) were corroded. The rocker gear (original) is a hunk of junk for a car in this price range, really. Anyhow, a corroded circlip also failed while he was trying to repair the original handle and then he had to completely replace the handle with Rev 3.0. This is a much simpler wiring loom, does away with the spring in the handle and has the control box outside the metal cavity so that it can be accessed just by removing the trim. So, the part has evolved and the new part does look much more robust and simpler in construction than the original, fwiw. Now, we'll see how long it lasts :D

My first two failures were gradual, the handle would open the door eventually after a few pulls or a jiggle, or pulling harder.
This time it just failed completely with now warning. Parked in the garage, in the morning just didn't work.
Maybe the first time it failed the fix was just a partial fix, I think maybe there's one cable that gets frayed. This time the failure may have been something else. I hope they just use a whole new version this time, probably will.

I made a judgement that it wasn’t worth $6000, since the big ticket items (motors and battery) were covered, and that other items would probably either not fail, or would be covered by ACL, or cost less than $6000.
So far so good.
I’ll probably sell it when it’s 5 years old, or a new Model S is out, whichever comes sooner.
Redbook was about $1200 for me.