Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 5-month review of driving a Model 3 that I have decided is not for me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a long-time contributor of openpilot, I've driven with the OSS stack across a Prius Prime and Rav 4 before switching to a Model 3 as I was curious what autonomy looked like on the other side of the pond.

Once the initial novelty wore off of all of the features and easter eggs, the actual day-to-day life didn't jive well with me. Autopilot is miles behind the quality of openpilot. Phantom braking, reliance on lane lines, weird driver monitoring (op uses a camera for attention tracking, wheel touch isn't required). The best way I can summarize Autopilot is very confident, especially when incorrect. I think there's a deeper uncanny valley when using the system compared to openpilot and even Toyota LTA. Less room for error and more just going with what the car is doing. It's hard to describe.

Never used FSD, even though I met the requirements last enrollment period. I think it's dumb to focus on the 5% use case when Autopilot/highway is the 95% use case and where you get most benefit, IMO. Autopilot feels abandoned and it could be so much better. But when you have a CEO who constantly lies to stock scam FSD and Robotaxi every year... kinda paints yourself into the corner.

My speakers and mic stop working when driving through a car wash sometimes, or during heavy rain. My left seat belt pillar just came off when getting in the car one day and it's made of this thin, paperboard like material that refuses to snap back in correctly. A/C often just blows at my feet when turning the car on, climate keeper is often not working due to a "system fault". The car has 10k miles.

I think the car is cool in some aspects. The acceleration is nice, it looks nice from an aesthetic level. Some people may like all the attention they get in public driving it "OOOH is that a TESLA?!", but as someone who dislikes Elon Musk, it kinda makes me feel like a tool.

The Chevy Bolt, at least the 2017 I had was more enjoyable in some ways. The seats sucked, until I modded them and added more foam. But the price was much lower, the acceleration was adequate, and the range was comparable. openpilot works on the bolt, although I never installed it. Never used supercruise. The interior is plastic everywhere and cheap feeling, but the car had some character to me. As an electric car, I miss it.

Tesla service is meh.. the advisors really seem to have an attitude, but so would I having to deal with rabid customers spamming forum links, self-diagnosing. I think the most irritating part is hearing of other customers getting free things like fixed repeater cameras that work for blind spot usage at night, then being quoted a cash price as "they don't offer that". Having them come to your house is cool, though.

I think, overall, Tesla should really, actually make a $30k model with decent range like the Bolt. The "luxury" segment isn't quite there due to quality issues and I can have better than Autopilot "self driving" for the cost of a used 2017 Prius, or Rav, or many other supported cars and openpilot, which is open source. I think FSD is dumb and feels like a stock scam at best, and I think that after several years of hardcore vehicle autonomy usage in general, it's made me a worse driver with slower reflexes (the same thing happens to pilots due to overreliance on aircraft autopilot).

Overall, there's a part of me that will be sad to see the Model 3 go tomorrow, but also a relief that one of the most unreliable cars I've driven will no longer be a $1,000 payment on credit. I just picked up a Jeep Gladiator and I'm loving it, even though I don't think there could be a car that could be more of a polar opposite.. even if the Jeep is only 600lbs heavier.

downloadfile.jpg

Nice, will you link to where in the sales material such limitation is stated?

Its not a limitation but highways are the preferred use case for Autopilot. Its implied in their support material and they even call out that FSD will have city street steering in upcoming updates (see below link).

Reactions: mswlogo
Its not a limitation but highways are the preferred use case for Autopilot. Its implied in their support material and they even call out that FSD will have city street steering in upcoming updates (see below link).

I know what you are saying and for quite a while and agree. But it’s really confusing when they add stop at city street traffic lights feature but it’s not designed to handle city streets.

I never use it off the highway.

I felt similar, as I had a 2018 Model 3, the Vehicles poor build quality at its price point really did get to me, but the final straw was when Tesla disengaged Radar in favor of full vision Autopilot/FSD, this is when Phantom Braking became constant and extreme.

With all of this said, I looked into Openpilot extensively, but alas I just purchased a 2022 Tesla Model Y, I've loved it as the Build quality is miles ahead of the 2018 Model 3, but still major issues in Phantom Braking, but again the decision to Purchase a Tesla was about the Performance, and AP is secondary, as it's like you said, something which is used 90% on the Highway, which I am rarely on.

I am planning to implement OP on my Tesla Model Y Performance when feasible, I appreciate the work that's being done with OpenPilot, especially as an Avid User and contributer of Opensource development.

I'd say disliking Musk, and letting that bleed into your Tesla experience is petty, but that's understandable as I have similar petty views which bleed into my purchasing habits.

I dont think fuctionalities of a car shout be decuced

Implied? 😂👌🤦‍♂️

I'm getting close to getting a new Model YLR. When I retired I first made the decision to get an EV. The current ideology of oil dependence, knowingly putting noxious fumes into my grandchildren's future and spreading the word of clean tech is a part of the way I live now. EVs are not for everyone and I don't judge, but they are for me. Maybe in the near future there may be better competition for the Tesla EV. I would never want to go back to an ICE vehicle.

Reactions: Bouba
I've been a long-time contributor of openpilot, I've driven with the OSS stack across a Prius Prime and Rav 4 before switching to a Model 3 as I was curious what autonomy looked like on the other side of the pond.

Once the initial novelty wore off of all of the features and easter eggs, the actual day-to-day life didn't jive well with me. Autopilot is miles behind the quality of openpilot. Phantom braking, reliance on lane lines, weird driver monitoring (op uses a camera for attention tracking, wheel touch isn't required). The best way I can summarize Autopilot is very confident, especially when incorrect. I think there's a deeper uncanny valley when using the system compared to openpilot and even Toyota LTA. Less room for error and more just going with what the car is doing. It's hard to describe.

Never used FSD, even though I met the requirements last enrollment period. I think it's dumb to focus on the 5% use case when Autopilot/highway is the 95% use case and where you get most benefit, IMO. Autopilot feels abandoned and it could be so much better. But when you have a CEO who constantly lies to stock scam FSD and Robotaxi every year... kinda paints yourself into the corner.

My speakers and mic stop working when driving through a car wash sometimes, or during heavy rain. My left seat belt pillar just came off when getting in the car one day and it's made of this thin, paperboard like material that refuses to snap back in correctly. A/C often just blows at my feet when turning the car on, climate keeper is often not working due to a "system fault". The car has 10k miles.

I think the car is cool in some aspects. The acceleration is nice, it looks nice from an aesthetic level. Some people may like all the attention they get in public driving it "OOOH is that a TESLA?!", but as someone who dislikes Elon Musk, it kinda makes me feel like a tool.

The Chevy Bolt, at least the 2017 I had was more enjoyable in some ways. The seats sucked, until I modded them and added more foam. But the price was much lower, the acceleration was adequate, and the range was comparable. openpilot works on the bolt, although I never installed it. Never used supercruise. The interior is plastic everywhere and cheap feeling, but the car had some character to me. As an electric car, I miss it.

Tesla service is meh.. the advisors really seem to have an attitude, but so would I having to deal with rabid customers spamming forum links, self-diagnosing. I think the most irritating part is hearing of other customers getting free things like fixed repeater cameras that work for blind spot usage at night, then being quoted a cash price as "they don't offer that". Having them come to your house is cool, though.

I think, overall, Tesla should really, actually make a $30k model with decent range like the Bolt. The "luxury" segment isn't quite there due to quality issues and I can have better than Autopilot "self driving" for the cost of a used 2017 Prius, or Rav, or many other supported cars and openpilot, which is open source. I think FSD is dumb and feels like a stock scam at best, and I think that after several years of hardcore vehicle autonomy usage in general, it's made me a worse driver with slower reflexes (the same thing happens to pilots due to overreliance on aircraft autopilot).

Overall, there's a part of me that will be sad to see the Model 3 go tomorrow, but also a relief that one of the most unreliable cars I've driven will no longer be a $1,000 payment on credit. I just picked up a Jeep Gladiator and I'm loving it, even though I don't think there could be a car that could be more of a polar opposite.. even if the Jeep is only 600lbs heavier.

View attachment 841987
You’re replacing your EV with a 16 mpg impractical, inefficient, high maintenance car toy. Would have respected a decision to go to another make EV. You aren’t just going back to ICE. you’re going back to the worst class of ice. Why not just get an f250 diesel W dualies, w coal rolling mods, and block our supercharger spots?

• Funny
Reactions: TomT and Bouba
Jeep makes a plug-in hybrid Wrangler now. Same with the Grand Cherokee. They call them 4xe (instead of 4x4). It won't be long before they'll go all electric.

Yep.

We've had one for ~16 months, was an early buyer, it's been fun, and the service has been fine, one PM that was 1 day, one AWD lock/actuator, that was a Fri to a Mon, dealer is < 10 miles away, offered a ride, we didn't need it, drove two cars, stopped for Mexican food :D

We run it on battery about 90% of the time, since it's just for knocking around town, the beach, it's super fun to drive, pretty quick for a brick (battery+ICE is around 400HP, and lots of torque), has nice ground and water clearance, a 4x4 setup, with low range so it'll handle just about anything off road.

The 4xe comes extra loaded with the very good upgraded Alpine (and waterproof speakers), solid lighting, good visibility, and it's modular so you can swap fenders, bumpers - remove the doors, it has top panels that come out and of course with a Wrangler, you can remove the entire roof - we have an electric hoist in the garage, makes it an easy one person job and keeps it high and out of the way.

We have a Grizzl-E 40a with a J-connector we share between the Tesla and the 4xe, works terrific. The 4xe PHEV actually led me to the conclusion I could go BEV with the other ride, so it was our EV gateway drug :D

When the weather is right, the top is off, this is hard to beat (especially running quietly on battery where all you can hear is the wind and ocean):

IMG_8111.jpeg

Yep.

We've had one for ~16 months, was an early buyer, it's been fun, and the service has been fine, one PM that was 1 day, one AWD lock/actuator, that was a Fri to a Mon, dealer is < 10 miles away, offered a ride, we didn't need it, drove two cars, stopped for Mexican food :D

We run it on battery about 90% of the time, since it's just for knocking around town, the beach, it's super fun to drive, pretty quick for a brick (battery+ICE is around 400HP, and lots of torque), has nice ground and water clearance, a 4x4 setup, with low range so it'll handle just about anything off road.

The 4xe comes extra loaded with the very good upgraded Alpine (and waterproof speakers), solid lighting, good visibility, and it's modular so you can swap fenders, bumpers - remove the doors, it has top panels that come out and of course with a Wrangler, you can remove the entire roof - we have an electric hoist in the garage, makes it an easy one person job and keeps it high and out of the way.

We have a Grizzl-E 40a with a J-connector we share between the Tesla and the 4xe, works terrific. The 4xe PHEV actually led me to the conclusion I could go BEV with the other ride, so it was our EV gateway drug :D

When the weather is right, the top is off, this is hard to beat (especially running quietly on battery where all you can hear is the wind and ocean):

View attachment 844227
Great story...and I’ve always liked them...did a lot of off roading with Land Rovers in Africa...some great adventures...I would never get a Jeep though, because once many years ago, in London...I saw this guy park his open top Jeep and go into a shop...and when he came out, there were two winos sitting in the Jeep drinking...he struggled to get them out😳😂

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
Status
Not open for further replies.