Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 8.0 car went over 5 minutes on I-10 with no nags two days ago

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So,

Not sure if this is old news but I just returned from a 10 day business trip, during which time my girlfriend spent a lot of time driving my Tesla. For what it's worth she always uses autopilot but she keeps her hands resting on the wheel, whereas I don't (hey nannies this is your chance to get that little dopamine hit by reminding me to keep my hands on the wheel).

During the few days right after 8.0 downloaded I could not go more than three minutes on the freeway without getting the nags - if there were no cars around me.

But after the girlfriend drove it for 10 days, I drove home from the airport and went over 5 minutes with zero nags. However after I got the first one and I nudged the wheel, the second one came on less than 90 seconds later.

Is Tesla tweaking the nag frequency already after the 8.0 update? Or is it possible that my girlfriend's driving habits (hands on wheel always) affected the nag algorithm in my car in some way?

I'm not your nanny or babysitter but I drive on the same highways as you do and that's why I'm concerned. Not only for your safety but mine as well. Nags are here to stay.

I think you mean to say you *hope* nags are here to stay. Unless you have an inside track at Tesla I don't know about. And I am here to say I *hope* you are very wrong. :O)

I imagine what happened were a series of increasingly animated arguments inside HQ between Elon Musk and his attorneys.
Not just attorneys, but engineers also. Elon also wanted to allow video in the center screen, but was talked out of it by employees.
Elon Musk's push for autopilot unnerves some Tesla employees

It's not just liability, but also PR and the danger that if too many incidents happen, government regulators would step in with even more draconian measures. There's rumblings that NHTSA and German regulators might look to add restrictions to level 2 systems. It's way better to do things voluntarily first.

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
Not just attorneys, but engineers also. Elon also wanted to allow video in the center screen, but was talked out of it by employees.

It's not just liability, but also PR and the danger that if too many incidents happen, government regulators would step in with even more draconian measures. There's rumblings that NHTSA and German regulators might look to add restrictions to level 2 systems. It's way better to do things voluntarily first.
Very interesting article.

Just got back from a trip to ATL, 6 hrs each direction. My observations (yes I don't keep my hands rested on the wheel, just like I don't keep my hand on the yoke of an airplane on autopilot) and the nags on back roads are down right annoying. There isn't enough time even when I notice the flashing screen to nag the wheel before it beeps and I have only 2 strikes left. On the interstate it left me alone more (still not as much as 7.1) but I could tolerate it. Sad thing is I have several 4 lane divided highways that aren't interstates around me with 55-65mph speed limits and the nags are frequent. My .02 on the matter.

So,

Not sure if this is old news but I just returned from a 10 day business trip, during which time my girlfriend spent a lot of time driving my Tesla. For what it's worth she always uses autopilot but she keeps her hands resting on the wheel, whereas I don't (hey nannies this is your chance to get that little dopamine hit by reminding me to keep my hands on the wheel).

During the few days right after 8.0 downloaded I could not go more than three minutes on the freeway without getting the nags - if there were no cars around me.

But after the girlfriend drove it for 10 days, I drove home from the airport and went over 5 minutes with zero nags. However after I got the first one and I nudged the wheel, the second one came on less than 90 seconds later.

Is Tesla tweaking the nag frequency already after the 8.0 update? Or is it possible that my girlfriend's driving habits (hands on wheel always) affected the nag algorithm in my car in some way?

Maybe after 10 days of being driven around by your girlfriend, your tesla now knows what it feels like to be constantly nagged?

This article is what makes me laugh when people think Elon is putting up with this sh*t. (nags)

I don't know what the heck is going on with AP these days. As posted in 8.0 thread, she has a nervous breakdown (to a nervous twitch) on any rise in the road. Never had that before. My nags are 3X compared to prior. I tried resting my left knee against the wheel yesterday and today, which shut it up completely and was more comfortable than I expected. So there is one solution. She tends to hug close to big trucks, which is the opposite of what they have said and makes me really uncomfortable. It has happened ever since the update.

I am simply not a happy camper, feel less safe than before and think I might just need to go home and hide under the covers until they fix this! (there is no emoji to express my OCD loss!!!)

PS: I really am pissed at this update. It used to be so much better. WTH?

I imagine what is happening is some big algorithm changes for making decisions as to questions like "Is that line the lane marker?" Probably the weighting of variables has changed and I would guess the dev team is working overtime.

My guess is that 7.1 was maturing but then we all tragically learned about the major blind spots and Tesla had to, in some ways, start over. I would guess that the behavior will improve over the coming months.