Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 85D is ordered!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While waiting for my car to crawl across the pacific at snails pace, I've at least got my charging setup finalised. Tesla 230V 40A HPWC charger on controlled load cheap night rate power, 230V 15A socket to slow charge during the day with UMC (linked to our solar so turns on when we have excess solar power rather than return it to the grid), and a 3 phase 400V 32A socket if ever I need a really fast charge during the day (using probably an EVR3 which I don't have yet). We'll get the 3 phase Tesla charger when it turns up as it's a no charge swap over, but it's not really needed. Helps to have a son in law who's an electrician... got all this done at the right price ;-)

Chargers.jpg

Yeah... it's a bit low tech isn't it 
One of mine parks within a meter of the connector, so I took the cord up and hung it back down from the ceiling. You get the lengths etc right when you have your car, but no coiling. Just grab the plug and plug in. Unplug and let go. Nothing on the floor, no coiling, no bending.
Also, when you first plug in the connection may seem a bit stiff and tight. It loosens up after a few weeks.

One of mine parks within a meter of the connector, so I took the cord up and hung it back down from the ceiling. You get the lengths etc right when you have your car, but no coiling. Just grab the plug and plug in. Unplug and let go. Nothing on the floor, no coiling, no bending.
Also, when you first plug in the connection may seem a bit stiff and tight. It loosens up after a few weeks.

Good tips... Thanks Paul.

While waiting for my car to crawl across the pacific at snails pace, I've at least got my charging setup finalised. Tesla 230V 40A HPWC charger on controlled load cheap night rate power, 230V 15A socket to slow charge during the day with UMC (linked to our solar so turns on when we have excess solar power rather than return it to the grid), and a 3 phase 400V 32A socket if ever I need a really fast charge during the day (using probably an EVR3 which I don't have yet). We'll get the 3 phase Tesla charger when it turns up as it's a no charge swap over, but it's not really needed. Helps to have a son in law who's an electrician... got all this done at the right price ;-)

View attachment 108502
Actually, instead of coiling it I make two long loops and drape it over the wall hanger. I think the 3 phase will be coming out with a shorter cable. My wall connector is not immediately opposite the charge port. For various reasons it is about 2.5 m away, so, I do in fact, need some length. The 3 phase has a storage socket Moulded into the side of the connector body.
By " right price" I hope you mean free plus parts!!

Actually, instead of coiling it I make two long loops and drape it over the wall hanger. I think the 3 phase will be coming out with a shorter cable. My wall connector is not immediately opposite the charge port. For various reasons it is about 2.5 m away, so, I do in fact, need some length. The 3 phase has a storage socket Moulded into the side of the connector body.
By " right price" I hope you mean free plus parts!!

Price... yep, you got it! Plus the 3 phase socket I bought on ebay for $40... bargain

Mitchell at Tesla tells me you'll be able to order the 3 phase HPWC with either the short or long cable.

One step closer! My car is at St Leonards for pre-delivery. Delivery next week! Here's some photos Adam Hendry kindly sent me of the car as it is straight out of the container. Lots of plastic covering! Pre-delivery they have to add the dual charger and centre console, plus The Car Kit Company is coming over to install front/rear dash cams.

IMG_8461.JPG
IMG_8462.JPG
IMG_8463.JPG
IMG_8464.JPG
IMG_8465.JPG

Last edited: