Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 90D 100% range closer to 75D'S EPA!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious what other 90D owners with standard 20" wheels are getting when charged to 100%.
I was surprised to see that after 6 months and 11,000 miles on our 90D/20" wheels it is topping out at 247 miles. Our lifetime wh/m are at 354 and we rarely push the car. We also baby the battery charging to 70% daily and discharging to 50%.
To add to that, we have an active spoiler in our 90D which should improve range by 1.6% per tesla.
Initially, we had 100% range estimates around 261-262 miles and now it's 247. We have charged to 100% maybe 3 times (road trips) and never left it there for more than a couple minutes.
247 miles is closing in on the 75D range and that's not cool.
What are your 100% charges telling you?

Attachments

• IMG_3349.JPG
    IMG_3349.JPG
    353.3 KB · Views: 110
Our X hit the 10k mark and yesterday I tried to do a 100% charge to help us make the Rolla, MO to home 243 mile journey. It said it was fully charged at 248 miles. We've done 100% charges before and they used to be 255-257 mile range, but that was a while ago and we haven't had to charge it to 100% until yesterday again. We made it by sticking to 55-60mph with 46 miles left on the gauge. Looks like 90D with spoiler (ours has it too) gives 248 miles after the 10k miles degradation.

Another possibility... I went on a 9,200 mile road trip this summer across the country in our P90D, and then just did a trip from Portland down to San Francisco and back along the cost, I think we put about 2000 miles on it. We're just under 15,000 miles right now. During the summer trip, using system 7.1, the trip planner was very consistently overly optimistic; we typically arrived at our destination with 5% to 10% LESS than whatever the trip planner estimated. However on our most recent trip using system 8, even with a lot of rain, the trip planner was bang on, usually within 1%, and multiple times we arrived with 5% MORE than the trip planner estimated, and that was driving speed limit plus 5 mph, mostly on I-5 and 101.

So, I'm wondering if the trip planner has advanced more and is actually taking some weather into account? E.g. you should expect to get somewhat less range in cooler temperatures, so perhaps that is a factor here. From everything I have read, and everyone I've spoken with you should definitely not be seeing ANY range degradation for a LONG time yet. I've spoken to people with 100,000 miles on a Model S with only a almost no degradation in range. They recommend charging to only 60% when at home...

Personally I set my display to percentage the day I got it and never use miles because it was never accurate enough to be useful. The P90D does not get as good a range as the 90D, and if I have the 22" wheels mounted even a bit less. With all my travels, I've found a good rule of thumb is 2 miles of range per 1 percentage point of energy. So that means, even from day one, realistically I only get about 200 miles on a full charge. Ultimately, the biggest thing to me is that I can trust the trip planner, the better it gets, the less margin you have to reserve, and the less time you have to spend charging. Considering most super chargers are 100 to 150 miles apart, it's been absolutely no trouble traveling all over the country and big parts of Canada too. :)

I agree with @NOLA_Mike's rebalancing suggestion. The car doesn't exactly know how much energy the battery holds. It tries to estimate that. However, the estimates become inaccurate over time if you never fully discharge the battery or if you never fully charge the battery. You need to do both. Based on statistical data you can find here, a full discharge a few times a year is not enough but once a month is enough. A full charge seems less important. It is important to remember not to leave the battery for more than 2 hours at 0% or 100%. Also, running the battery down to 0% would be too risky. Try 1-2% instead.

On the same file, you can enter your data too if you want. Then go to the charts page and select your username to see how it compares to the average. By the way, wheel size or spoiler affect your energy consumption but they don't affect displayed range at 90% or 100% charge. It is not like the car recognizes that you have 20" wheels and then switches to a different rating scale as you charge. It doesn't do anything like that. The only thing that can dynamically affect the displayed rated range at 90% or 100% charge is the range mode setting. If you turn range mode on, your rated range will increase 2-3 miles.

Last edited:
The expected battery degradation is about 5%. You've already put about a year's worth of average mileage on your car, so what you are seeing feels about right.

A comparable 75D would expect about 225 with 100% charge after that much use.

Drove down to about 30% then charged to 100% on a supercharger. 244 mile rated range while still charging at 2kW when I gave up. 5% loss at 16k miles. Range did not update with this charge. Will go lower next time and go all the way to 0kW, this was convenience charge since I had errand near charger.