Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Accessories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a new model y owner as of November 1, 2021. After delivery I started looking for accessories and came across a road noise reduction kit. My road noise was not exceedingly bad, not any worse than my Chrysler 300 for sure. Anyway I purchased the kit and not surprisingly I did not find any appreciable noise reduction, at least not enough to rave about.

However a month or so after installation I started seeing signs of the adhesive releasing from the metal in several places and this concerned me. Here are three photos of the areas of most concern. The first 2 are both sides of the front trunk and the last one is the passenger side of the rear lift gate. In case anyone has a problem identifying the problem all of the white glaring patches is where the rubber has pulled away from the metal and the glue is just threading between the rubber and the metal. I wouldn't think that is anything that could be considered normal. I have tried to push it back up into place but it only falls down the next time I open the hatches. I am quite certain it will continue to get worse and probably additional areas will begin to fail.

P2150608.JPG
P2150609.JPG
P2150611.JPG

I contacted the company I purchased the kit from and here is a transcript of the chat I had with the customer service person.

I recently purchased a road noise reduction kit for my 2021 Tesal Y and am beginning to have adhesion problems with it. - RPM TESLA Aftermarket Accessories

Just to be fare to them I also purchased a wind noise kit for the top of the car. As it did not fit (the gap between the roof glass and the windshield was too narrow) so the rubber seal would not go into the gap. They fully refunded my purchase price for that item no questions asked. Perhaps they had problems with that in the past and decided to do the right thing.

At any rate I don't think their lifetime warranty for the road noise package is much good and their customer support is seriously lacking so I for one will not be purchasing any further after market accessories from this company.

I had the same problem after my DIY project dried. My remedy was to use a glue adhesive that comes with a brush type applicator. Use painters tape to hold it in place for 24 hours in moderate temperature for best results.
Thanks for the tip. I know it can be fixed it is just unfortunate that companies make such a habit of not standing behind their products.