Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Merry Christmas everyone!

My MY just got into a bad accident. I was trying to park into my in-law garage. I did step on the pedal a little but it just fly forward and I did try to slam on the brake right the way. It looks like the whole bumper and fender will need to replace.

Firts time getting into a Tesla accident (and on a Christmas day) . Any suggestion on what I should do? Any way to capture what the car was thinking/doing that make the car fly forward? Should I talk to insurance company or Tesla first? Would my Telsa capture why the car fly forward and did not apply the emergency braking?

I'm glad no one was injured. Did you have the Tesla's driving mode set for creep, roll or hold? When parking in my home garage, other parking spaces I prefer the creep setting and always have my foot on the brake pedal should I need to stop quickly.

Merry Christmas everyone!

My MY just got into a bad accident. I was trying to park into my in-law garage. I did step on the pedal a little but it just fly forward and I did try to slam on the brake right the way. It looks like the whole bumper and fender will need to replace.

Firts time getting into a Tesla accident (and on a Christmas day) . Any suggestion on what I should do? Any way to capture what the car was thinking/doing that make the car fly forward? Should I talk to insurance company or Tesla first? Would my Telsa capture why the car fly forward and did not apply the emergency braking?
Were you set up for "one pedal" driving ("hold" mode)? Sometimes it's difficult to modulate accelerator without surges.

I'm glad no one was injured. Did you have the Tesla's driving mode set for creep, roll or hold? When parking in my home garage, other parking spaces I prefer the creep setting and always have my foot on the brake pedal should I need to stop quickly.
It's in hold mode. I am grad that I sent my kids to the house before parking.

Was it a transition thing? In my garage there is 2 inch height change from driveway to garage floor, a rise up. I find that if I am too slow going into the garage then I have to hit the accelerator a bit more than I'd like to get it to overcome that bump and continue into the garage, which can result in a lunge forward. I've since learned to come in a bit hotter and ease off, using momentum to let the car ride over this bump and then brake. No idea if this is similar to your situation or not, but it is something I have to deal with every time I park in the garage and it is a nuisance. I tried to summon into the garage a couple of times now and each time is walking on eggshells, so I do not bother trying to summon in any more. One time it kept on stalling on the bump and would not move forward, I had to drive it in myself. Strange how it does not behave the same each time, perhaps changes in software or somehow I enter differently each time.

Was it a transition thing? In my garage there is 2 inch height change from driveway to garage floor, a rise up. I find that if I am too slow going into the garage then I have to hit the accelerator a bit more than I'd like to get it to overcome that bump and continue into the garage, which can result in a lunge forward. I've since learned to come in a bit hotter and ease off, using momentum to let the car ride over this bump and then brake. No idea if this is similar to your situation or not, but it is something I have to deal with every time I park in the garage and it is a nuisance. I tried to summon into the garage a couple of times now and each time is walking on eggshells, so I do not bother trying to summon in any more. One time it kept on stalling on the bump and would not move forward, I had to drive it in myself. Strange how it does not behave the same each time, perhaps changes in software or somehow I enter differently each time.
It was a transition thing. My in-law garage has a similar 2 inch height change as well from driveway to garage.

It was a transition thing. My in-law garage has a similar 2 inch height change as well from driveway to garage.
Sorry to hear about your accident but it sounds like the right foot was at fault. Need to better modulate the accelerator better...especially, in an EV where 100% torque is applied vs an ICE vehicle.

I see this a lot in the motorcycle world where people say they didn’t twist the throttle much but in fact they cranked it.

Damn, so sorry to hear about the accident. On the bright side, nobody was hurt and it was just parking in the garage!

My guess is you may have been going over that slight height change, needed a little extra, and once you got over that, the car just lurched forward. If you had caught it in time, you could send a report to Tesla (hold the "CAR" button on the bottom bar of the screen until it gives you a message that diagnostics were sent). If you take it to the SC, they can look at the logs. I believe if you know what time it happened, there's a chance the logs are still there, so there may be some indication of what happened. Hopefully they can look at the logs and match it with the timestamp to figure out if anything weird happened.

To be honest, non-manual gearbox/clutch cars are hard to drive for me. It could be because I grew up only driving 3 pedal cars, but there's so much more fine-tuned control when you have a clutch. No automatic transmission car could ever go as precisely slow as I could in a manual. Now with the Model Y, it's pretty tough too, but the 1-pedal driving seems to really help a lot. I could only get as precise with driving when using two feet in an automatic (one on the brake), which is a bad idea generally. The only thing I dislike about the Tesla 1 pedal driving is that the regen is somewhat unpredictable and inconsistent depending on battery regen capabilities.

The only non- driver error cause I can think of is accidentally engaging autopilot. This has happened to be once where I hit the gear stock, the cad did nothing, then I hit it again to shift into drive and autopilot engage lurching the car forward. Happened the one time and never again. But, just speculating here on cause.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
The only non- driver error cause I can think of is accidentally engaging autopilot. This has happened to be once where I hit the gear stock, the cad did nothing, then I hit it again to shift into drive and autopilot engage lurching the car forward. Happened the one time and never again. But, just speculating here on cause.
This is what I was thinking too. I can't remember if I hit the gear stock once or twice. I am not trying to blame Tesla or the car, but I do want to know what I did wrong causing the accident. Do u think Tesla can look into the log to see what happened?

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Is there a way to have Tesla review what I did that cause the sudden acceration? This is my first accident in my 20 years of driving. I want to know what I did wrong to prevent this in the future.
It's one of the reason why I like having "Creep mode" on so I don't have to press the accelerator when pulling into the garage, yet realize some people don't like creep mode.

This is what I was thinking too. I can't remember if I hit the gear stock once or twice. I am not trying to blame Tesla or the car, but I do want to know what I did wrong causing the accident. Do u think Tesla can look into the log to see what happened?

I’m sure Tesla can look into it, but am not sure that they will. No harm in asking though. Was your dash cam on at the time? Did you save the video? Even if it wasn’t, and you didn’t save the video, if you give the S/C the exact date and time of the incident they can likely pull the data from the car and get you some information about the incident. I’d imagine they might hit you with some nominal charge to cover someone’s time to retrieve the data.