Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My accidental overnight unplugged reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 Model 3 LR AWD and I usually keep my car plugged in to follow the motto .."a happy Tesla is a plugged in Tesla", but yesterday after I made a lunch run (I went from 80% battery to 77%) I forgot to plug my car back in upon parking back in my non-heated garage. Temps were in the low-to mid 20's all night for my area. So, I just checked my app this morning and after 20+ hours of sitting overnight in my garage it still shows 77% on the battery. I'm not sure if that's normal (to not lose any percentage over that period of time) but I'll gladly take it. I know my phone or iPad battery can't do that just sitting around not being used for 20+ hours and keep the same battery percentage. Side note... Sentry Mode is not on in my garage but I figured other small battery draining features would, at least bring it down 1% overnight.

EDIT: Title should be "My accidental overnight unplugged observation" ... NOT "reservation". I couldn't see anywhere to edit the title after posting.

If the car goes to sleep it loses very little battery. I left mine for 3 days in a parking garage on vacation and lost 1% IIRC probably just from waking it up to check battery level from the app once or twice a day.
That makes sense. I forgot about the going to sleep process. I guess once it does that the battery is conditioned for very little battery drain.

Reactions: destructure00
According to Stats, I've been losing 0.1mi/hr, so maybe your car is doing the same. At 20hrs, that's 2 miles, and 2 miles, is 0.6%. I suppose that should round up to 1%, but your car could have been at 77.3%, showing 77%, and losing 0.6% would bring it down to 76.7%, rounding to 77%. You're losing charge, but very little, which is as it should be if the car is mostly sleeping.

If you follow these setup rules (+ change your password and disallow access to 3rd party apps and disable the new "always on" default summon feature with v10, if you have summon) you will loose less than a % each day. Actually, having the car in % will not show you the actuall battery usage. You should switch to km to see it since 1% is about 750Watts, which if you follow the advices should be enough for 2-3 days of unplugged also.

Also, the advise "a happy Tesla is a plugged in Tesla" is not 100% scientifically correct. First, there is a difference between a "Tesla" and a "Tesla" - for example Model 3 has different cells chemistry and BMS than older Model S/X.
Second, it seems the Model 3's BMS is more prone the "defects" if you charge it only in the high %-iles. Meaning if you just charge it from 60%-80%, like you probably did, you will "break" the BMS (the software that calculates the capacity) and it will think you have less capacity than you have. This is evident by a lot of posts around here and a Like Tesla video.
Ideally you wanna keep the battery around 65% always, but since this is not possible (unless you go on vacation - leave it around 65% and disable all the vampire drain things I explained in the video) you should try and drive it down to 30% and then charge to 80% or 90% if you can drive right away in the morning, only if you reach the 30-40%. Every once and a while (each month or so, try going to charge from 10-90 or even 100%)

But if you want more technical details on you rbattery you should check the other videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JqLIGOnV0c