Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got an MY RWD coming this year. I'm confused as to what sort of charging socket it has and what adaptors/cables I will need.

I thinking of getting a UMC charger for starters.

If I want to charge at say non-Tesla DC fast chargers with CCS/SAE adaptors and regular Chargefox AC chargers. What sort of cables and adaptors would I need?

Thanks!

Reactions: Hairyman
The Model Y has a CCS2 port.

Almost all fast chargers in Australia have a CCS2 plug, so you don't need an adapter.

There were a small number in WA with CCS1 (the American standard) but I believe they've all been changed now.

PS pay no attention to the plug icons on Plugshare. The icon it shows for "CCS/SAE" sites is CCS1, even when the location has CCS2, eg:
1673068205493.png

And the icons they show for "Tesla" sites have the American Tesla plug, when all Tesla chargers in Australia are CCS2 (superchargers) or type 2 (destination chargers) which you don't need adapters for either.

If I want to charge at say non-Tesla DC fast chargers with CCS/SAE adaptors and regular Chargefox AC chargers. What sort of cables and adaptors would I need?

Thanks!
None. As replied to you elsewhere, the Model Y has a CCS2 connector, which almost all DC fast chargers in Australia will have. The UMC is handy for charging at home or in emergency on the go so is recommended. Otherwise it depends on what other charging options are in your area orwhere you will be travelling. Some public Ac chargers require a BYO Type 2 to Type 2 cable so that's something to consider. You can also get 3 phase tails to connect into the UMC but that would only be used rarely at more remote sites without other options.

To add to the very good explanation above, every first time buyer of a Tesla should immediately go out and try:
  1. Charging at a Tesla Supercharger even if for just a minute.
  2. Charging at a Chargefox / Evie / etc charger even if for just a minute.
  3. Once you've done both, commit to trying to drive your car to under a 20-30% state of charge to get comfortable with it.
I just helped a new owner work out how to use a Chargefox station, and we ended up having a long chat about charging and owning the car. Watching the whole process reminded me about how much you just take for granted these days, like unlocking the charge port at the end of the session.
Do the three when you've got plenty of charge and time, the benefit of the experience will make a world a difference.

I've got an MY RWD coming this year. I'm confused as to what sort of charging socket it has and what adaptors/cables I will need.

I thinking of getting a UMC charger for starters.

Thanks!
In case you missed the sticky - Charging Adaptors 101

Reactions: Chuq and Hairyman
Australia has CCS2 ports in most EVs including the Tesla.

CCS2 is actually two ports:
The upper pins are AC, low voltage, low current
The two bottom pins are DC, high voltage, high current

When you plug in a DC charger, the large plug fits into all the pins.
When you plug in an AC EVSE type 2 "Mennekes" , only the upper pins are used.

The Tesla UMC EVSE is the AC method.
The question of adapters is not at the car, it is at the wall receptacle.

Reactions: Hairyman