Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My admittedly premature 70D review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

We picked the car up on Friday afternoon. Everything went smoothly apart from the fact that although my DS told me that the centre console would be installed, it wasn't and I had to wait 30-40min for it to actually be installed.

Overall, I am very happy with it but I will give a list of the positives and negatives. Given that most of the positives are already very well known, I will start with the negatives (most to least): (Bear in mind I am coming from owning a 2009 model Mercedes E300 - which was a great car)

Negatives:

1) 3G connectivity drop off. I am running version 6.2 and I had to reboot the system twice already. This is well documented in another thread.

2) Rear seat seatbelt latches way too close together. This meant that my Isofix booster style seat does not fit on the window seats. This was quite a big inconvenience. I ended up buying different booster seats.

3) Rear seats not as comfortable as the Mercedes. Padding is stiff - not a big deal for me given that the kids are using the booster seats but thought it should be pointed out. An issue for those who are considering using the Model S as a car to be "driven" in. Tesla should work on this if they want to sell more of these in Asia as a lot of people use it for that purpose.

4) Although I knew this already, the rear visibility is poor. To help with this, Tesla should have designed the rear middle seat to have a collapsing headrest.

5) Charging port glitch. My charging port doesn't open as reliably as it should but it works for the most part - this is a small niggling issue. Also had problems taking the charger out at home unless i told it to stop charging.

6) Stated range on the 70D is 385km. The Tesla guy told me to charge it to 90%. When that happens the read out sais I have 325km of range - If the 385km is the "stated" range, then I should therefore have around 346km at 90%. Although it is saying "typical". Either way, this is not much of a negative for me given that I have a charger at home and close by in Cyberport - will probably get away with charging the car every 2 to 3 days. I ranked this 6th for that reason.

7) Internal Storage. I am glad I went with the front console. Storage elsewhere is virtually non-existent. Again, I knew this going in.

Now for the positives:

1) PERFORMANCE, PERFORMANCE. This is the least powerful version? Haha. I was scared to floor it at first. I only did that on the 2nd day. In short, way more than enough. But its not the raw acceleration that impresses me most. Its the fact that its there instantly. I have driven cars that are faster on paper (including Ferraris) than the 70D but don't feel faster on public roads due to the instant torque.

2) Ride & Handling. I am glad I got the 19" wheels with standard springs. The ride is firm but comfortable. In comparison, the Mercedes I had a slightly softer ride but was "waffly" in the corners by comparison. The car feels well sorted and gives you confidence.

3) Overall cost of ownership. This was my number 1 positive before purchasing. I can say this because in trying to sell my E300 I have discovered that that car has basically halved in value EVERY 3 years for a car that when new cost around the same as my 70D. The fact that I have the resale guarantee on finance (~70% of the value) combined with low running costs makes it an ABSOLUTE no brainer. In fact, I calculated that its cheaper over 3 years than a bottom of the range 3 series BMW once you include the cost of depreciation, fuel etc.

4) In-car tech is leagues ahead of any vehicle on the market. Only exception is lack of ipod integration or native spotify and the need to use USB where the indexing is not the best on FLAC files. Outside of that, I am enjoying listening to my favourite Sydney radio station. Navigation and interface is VERY slick.

5) Next Gen front seats are superb. I am glad I went for that option. The front seats are very supportive.

6) Space. The rear and front trunks offer good storage and I particularly like the floor compartment in the rear trunk.

7) Mobile App! Love it. Very handy and useful.

Other points:

Interior fit and finish is pretty good. (although it must be said that its not quite up there with the Germans but pretty close - which is different from some of the early production cars apparently)

Wife complains about the keyless driving - she thinks she will lose the key easily this - ah...what does she know. She is also concerned that if she is standing near the car that my son can get in and somehow start driving.

After sales service, DS etc are all very polite and nice. However, they are quite young and in a lot of cases, don't seem to have as much knowledge on the car as I do which is a bit odd.

I do get a lot of people staring at the car. Which surprised me given how many there are out there.

Wife not a huge fan of the alacantra dash. I don't mind it - it seems to polarize opinion. Taste.

In summary: Its a great car and I do not regret for a minute getting it. I am now officially part of the movement! Feels great to drive something that doesn't drive on dead dinosaurs! At least not directly.

Congrats on your purchase.

Couple of things:
- You're spending too much time in the back seat. Proper place to be in your new MS is the driver's seat. :wink:
- You comment that you'll be able to charge every two or three days. If possible, charge daily. It's better for your battery

Enjoy!

Totally agree with your comments ...

BTW ... this TeslaTunes software may help you for USB Music playback !!

tattwamasi/TeslaTunes · GitHub

Thanks for that - will give that a try - I was looking for something like that. Much appreciated.

As for someone else's question regarding power save mode. i think I am running that mode - will check it out when I have time to see whether that helps. (we had to reboot it again this morning). Its not the end of the world, but its clearly something a software update should easily fix.

Hi all,

2) Rear seat seatbelt latches way too close together. This meant that my Isofix booster style seat does not fit on the window seats. This was quite a big inconvenience. I ended up buying different booster seats.

4) In-car tech is leagues ahead of any vehicle on the market. Only exception is lack of ipod integration or native spotify and the need to use USB where the indexing is not the best on FLAC files. Outside of that, I am enjoying listening to my favourite Sydney radio station. Navigation and interface is VERY slick.

I have the same problem with booster and child seats... The buckle is near impossible to put in for some reason with the booster. I found it easier if you turn around the seat belt buckle. But I think it is more a problem with the design of the booster as it blocks the latch.

It's a bit easier with the Recaro child seat, though I still have to step into the car to find the latch.

Which station you listening on for Sydney radio? I keep trying nova but it cuts out and buffers a lot. 2day FM seems the most stable but they don't always have the song name, and Kiss seems to switch to Melb station......

I got my 70D last Wednesday and I agreed to the comments. The inferior finishing is not as good as my previous Mercedes. The radius of turning is also larger than Mercedes. I still need more time to get use to the huge size of the car when compared with my previous W203. I am still in the learning curve.

I have the same problem with booster and child seats... The buckle is near impossible to put in for some reason with the booster. I found it easier if you turn around the seat belt buckle. But I think it is more a problem with the design of the booster as it blocks the latch.

It's a bit easier with the Recaro child seat, though I still have to step into the car to find the latch.

Which station you listening on for Sydney radio? I keep trying nova but it cuts out and buffers a lot. 2day FM seems the most stable but they don't always have the song name, and Kiss seems to switch to Melb station......

I listen to Kiss FM.

Just took the the car for a drive to repulse bay this evening with the panoramic sunroof off. Such a great car to drive - wind buffering was excellent. Great fun

which merc do you drive? I've done some comparasion whilst looking for length (car lift issues) and find it better than cars of equiv size (S Class non L-wheelbase, some SUVs) so ya, 3 point turn quite comfortably at typical road widths of 2 lanes

which merc do you drive? I've done some comparasion whilst looking for length (car lift issues) and find it better than cars of equiv size (S Class non L-wheelbase, some SUVs) so ya, 3 point turn quite comfortably at typical road widths of 2 lanes

My previous Mercedes was a 2009 model E class - E300. It was a very well built utilitarian luxury vehicle. Very "comfortable" car to drive. I owned several different cars before in Hong Kong - BMW M3 convertible (95 model); Porsche Boxster S (01); BMW 3 series (325i - 07 model) and then the E class.
In terms of size, the Model S is bigger than the E but I think smaller than the S class (length wise). Length wise, its marginally longer than the E but its definitely wider (ever wider than the Merc S class). Dimensionally, the E class is basically identical to a 5 series in case anyone was wondering.

Coming from the E class, its not a huge step up in size all in all so I am already quite used to it.

In terms of driving style, the Model S is great as it has more refinement than a Mercedes in terms of drivetrain but handling characteristics more akin to a sportier BMW - best of both worlds essentially. And from a performance standpoint, I think the 70D is somewhere between a BMW535i and a BMW550i but would feel quicker than the 550i simply due to the instantaneous nature of the torque delivery. Compared to my E300, it makes the E300 feel like a slow coach - not that I was ever really complaining about the performance of the E300 as I only viewed it as relaxing transportation.

Its important to remember in terms of real world performance, that most acceleration is done in "short bursts" - either off the lights or quick overtaking maneuvers. You would rarely accelerate from dead all the way till say 100 or 150km/hr. For a BMW 550i to acheive the same acceleration performance to 100km/hr (which on paper it would be faster than the 70D), you need to get the lift off just right and you get a lot of drama and wait for the torque delivery to max out before the next gear is engaged etc. With the 70D, punch it and you are gone - no fuss. In the real world, even the base 70D feels plenty fast. If you are a performance junkie and want to spend the extra, then you could go with a P85D but personally, I find it an unnecessary indulgence and don't have money to burn. If I did, then the P85D would be something else.

70D 0-60MPR in 5.01s
image.png

out of everything, all i care is the turning radius (if i can do a 180) and how much space i need for a 3 point turn.
Never driven an S-class (only the long wheelbase) but the MS i could easy do a 180 with 3-lane space (yesterday, on Des Vouex Road West)

and for 0-100, i do it all the time now that it uses electricity. i just wont tell you where i do it =P