Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My adventures in gaining control of my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too am tired of the self righteous. Now if we could only agree who they are! :)

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with a forum that allows lots of passionate people to post their views. If anyone is so sensitive that they view it as cruel and unusual, just read past the ones you don't like. If you can't do that, then retreat to a world where everybody thinks just like you. Warning: it gets lonely.

The poster was referring Tesla's and you are talking about ICE's. The disconnect here is some people think it's the same risk and others think modifying the Tesla software is a unique risk.
I think that's my real point here. I think the risks are different and cannot be assumed to be the same. That being said, wk057 really has gone the furthest in this field and his general sense the last few posts is that maybe we are overreacting to just how much damage can be done at this level, especially if some of the auto pilot interface has been removed from the end user firmware. There are always can bus methods of changing things as well, but perhaps that's not what is intended. All that being said, I would prefer not to have green1's car driving down the road next to me while he is taking a nap in the backseat.

I too am tired of the self righteous. Now if we could only agree who they are! :)

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with a forum that allows lots of passionate people to post their views. If anyone is so sensitive that they view it as cruel and unusual, just read past the ones you don't like. If you can't do that, then retreat to a world where everybody thinks just like you. Warning: it gets lonely.
the safe place crowd, people who are intolerant of views that are divergent from their own.

There are folks for whom software tinkering as much of a known quantity/risk, just as there are folks for whom custom fabrication of suspension components is a known quantity/risk.
I spent a career in software and I believe that is incorrect. Construction of a physical component from known materials is a very tangible thing where six sigma is commonplace and can be achieved with reasonable level of skill/expertise. It is rare for software builders to achieve six sigma. Software tinkerers? Oops! Having said that, I do not care what people choose to do as a hobby. Root away. Hope tesla firewalls crucial AP functions.

the safe place crowd, people who are intolerant of views that are divergent from their own.
Not intolerant, I just don't want green1 taking a nap in the backseat of his car while he is driving down the road beside me. I think that's a fair request since the AP v1.0 sensor suite was not designed to do that. Now, it probably *can* do that 95% of the time without issue. But it brings us back to the Simpson's episode where Homer gets a deep fryer and Marge says: "Homer, I didn't say you couldn't fry your shirt, I said you shouldn't."

• Disagree
Reactions: ged
I spent a career in software and I believe that is incorrect. Construction of a physical component from known materials is a very tangible thing where six sigma is commonplace and can be achieved with reasonable level of skill/expertise. It is rare for software builders to achieve six sigma. Software tinkerers? Oops! Having said that, I do not care what people choose to do as a hobby. Root away. Hope tesla firewalls crucial AP functions.

Of course there are people who are not aware (or don't care) of the risk as well, just as a google image search of backyard suspension lifts will tell you there are similar folks unaware that wooden 4x4's don't make great lift blocks.

Then there are folks like yourself who are aware of what's risky. I'm not a software dev, but even I'd know better than to decide I should start screwing with the AP stuff, as I'm aware of the risk. But I'd be much less hesitant to adjust the delay-on time of my headlights because I'd prefer they don't pop on every time I spend 2 seconds in an underpass.

Not intolerant, I just don't want green1 taking a nap in the backseat of his car while he is driving down the road beside me. I think that's a fair request since the AP v1.0 sensor suite was not designed to do that. Now, it probably *can* do that 95% of the time without issue. But it brings us back to the Simpson's episode where Homer gets a deep fryer and Marge says: "Homer, I didn't say you couldn't fry your shirt, I said you shouldn't."
his taking a nap could happen regardless of any mods he might make and is completely irrelevant to this discussion.

Reactions: ged and spottyq

How about encoding the car's radar and ultrasound so that nearby Tesla's can exchange stats?

Things like Firmware version and whether there are any buttocks in the driving seat.

Then you can set your car to maintain minimum safe distance or "go convoy" for that authentic CW McCall experience. :)

If you've seen any of my other AP related posts that are scattered all over this forum, you'd know there is no risk of that. I've been a huge advocate of the driver being in charge of the vehicle at all times, and that at no time is the car actually driving itself.

I don't need Tesla to "nanny" me. I'm fully capable of being an adult on my own.

How about encoding the car's radar and ultrasound so that nearby Tesla's can exchange stats?

Things like Firmware version and whether there are any buttocks in the driving seat.

Then you can set your car to maintain minimum safe distance or "go convoy" for that authentic CW McCall experience. :)

I like the cut of your jib sailor.

And perhaps a little more of topic, geohot gave a few good examples of why car to car communication is a poor primary mechanism for self driving ques while driving down the road. AI should act like humans and pick up on the ques already available, like, is there a person in that seat. Which of course, could be hard to tell if the headrest is in the way now that I give that example. His example was observing brake lights via AI in addition to radar readings. But think how much trouble simple Bluetooth is from time to time. I'd rather not have that controlling the driving features of a car.

It would only be an exchange of stats.

Might be useful in poor visibility if 3s, Xs and Ss could share images of their immediate surroundings. Sort of instagram for Autopilots.

But yeah, possible source of hassle.

If you've seen any of my other AP related posts that are scattered all over this forum, you'd know there is no risk of that. I've been a huge advocate of the driver being in charge of the vehicle at all times, and that at no time is the car actually driving itself.

I don't need Tesla to "nanny" me. I'm fully capable of being an adult on my own.
How would you feel if Tesla implemented something like the 'performance' code? It would work something like this:

• Hold down the T for a few seconds until you get the prompt for a code, then enter 'nosign'.
  • Upon using the correct code, a pop-up message ensues (similar to calendar) with the warning that it disables reading the speed signs and to monitor your speed accordingly.
  • Everything time your car goes back into park, it will display the message again until such time you reenter the same code to disable.

There are 16 posts on page 9, maybe 2 of them are close to being on topic... The rest including this one are noise and nothing to do with the process of gaining control of the car.

If I was running TMC, I would make it so the thread's author could "collapse" off topic posts (click to expand and read). That would discourage the attention whoring that is going on here (i.e. let me find the most popular thread and just spew some O/T stuff into it, so people will read my *sugar*)

Reactions: Dr. Smoke
How would you feel if Tesla implemented something like the 'performance' code? It would work something like this:

• Hold down the T for a few seconds until you get the prompt for a code, then enter 'nosign'.
  • Upon using the correct code, a pop-up message ensues (similar to calendar) with the warning that it disables reading the speed signs and to monitor your speed accordingly.
  • Everything time your car goes back into park, it will display the message again until such time you reenter the same code to disable.
I would feel that it is more restrictions than I currently have, and that any added restrictions are inappropriate after I have bought and paid for the vehicle.

The credit on this one goes to Green1. I just assisted in getting the message formatting correct as he has mentioned.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender2.jpg
    FullSizeRender2.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 242