Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY AIRPORT PARKING DRAIN EXPERIENCE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everybody -

I wanted to share some experience from parking my MY for multiple weeks in the winter at JFK airport.

My concern was that I'd lose a few % every day but with Sentry + Wifi Off and 'DEEP SLEEP ASSIST' activated through Tezlab, I did not lose any significant power.
Funny enough when I parked it was fairly cold, I charged to 83% at JFK, parked the car with 79%. I checked a week later - waking the car from the 'deep sleep' mode - and it warmed up by around 15F and the battery showed 3% more than when I parked it (back up to 82%).

All this to say: as long as you turn off Sentry and Wifi and using some form of 'deep sleep' for the car you will be fine keeping it parked for a longer time without any major power loss.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Although I have no intention of flying anytime soon, if the occasion should arise in the future, I would never park my Y at any airport. I will leave it plugged in in my garage and take a car service. Although I did not own my Y in 2019 for a 7 week cruise around South America I could never imagine leaving any vehicle at an airport for that length of time.

Although I have no intention of flying anytime soon, if the occasion should arise in the future, I would never park my Y at any airport. I will leave it plugged in in my garage and take a car service. Although I did not own my Y in 2019 for a 7 week cruise around South America I could never imagine leaving any vehicle at an airport for that length of time.

I agree, I would prefer to just take car service and pay $100 for peace of mind knowing my car is safe at home. Bonus points if it's in a garage.
Sounds like you two should create your own thread with your opinions then. The OP was just stating their experience with long term parking at the airport.

Hi Everybody -

I wanted to share some experience from parking my MY for multiple weeks in the winter at JFK airport.

My concern was that I'd lose a few % every day but with Sentry + Wifi Off and 'DEEP SLEEP ASSIST' activated through Tezlab, I did not lose any significant power.
Funny enough when I parked it was fairly cold, I charged to 83% at JFK, parked the car with 79%. I checked a week later - waking the car from the 'deep sleep' mode - and it warmed up by around 15F and the battery showed 3% more than when I parked it (back up to 82%).

All this to say: as long as you turn off Sentry and Wifi and using some form of 'deep sleep' for the car you will be fine keeping it parked for a longer time without any major power loss.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
My experience too :)

Done it many times over the years.

Hi Everybody -

Hope this helps!

Cheers
I'd add that unless you need it, you should probably always have Wi-Fi off. No reason to have it on unless you're using your phone as a hotspot or downloading an update.

Nice! I also wondered. Here in the Bay Area, I remember parking in the long term SFO lot and saw a few Teslas that was parked in EV stall with their mobile charger plugged in. Pretty nice that they allow you to do that. It was still there after we got back (1 week later). Not sure if you have to request it or pay additional or if it's first come first serve either.

Hi Everybody -

Hope this helps!

Cheers
I had a similar experience the first time I left my MY for an extended time. We took a week long cruise, I turned off all the same stuff, and came back with 5% *more* battery!

I parked for 7 days in Virginia at the airport structure, MYLR, lowest temperature was 11F. I parked at 78% and got back to 76%. I didn't open the app once during the time. Wifi on, sentry off. These numbers are from my self-hosted TeslaMate.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
I think we all know turning off sentry mode will not use up any battery. Issue is the crazy drain when its on. Whole point in situations like this is to keep sentry mode on, but when it burns 5-10% a day it defeats the purpose.

I think we all know turning off sentry mode will not use up any battery. Issue is the crazy drain when its on. Whole point in situations like this is to keep sentry mode on, but when it burns 5-10% a day it defeats the purpose.
Sure, but we (humans) can't get around physics. Sentry mode cannot run for free. In the future perhaps we'll have more plug sources and super high capacity batteries. For now, we're in early adopter stage of EV's and airport parking garages/lots are usually safe and guarded with cameras and active security.

Reactions: cusetownusa
For now, we're in early adopter stage of EV's and airport parking garages/lots are usually safe and guarded with cameras and active security.
ParknFly valet parking at Canadian airports charges up your car for no extra cost. I usually set mine to 85% and that's what it is when I pick it up. Is there a US equivalent?

ParknFly valet parking at Canadian airports charges up your car for no extra cost. I usually set mine to 85% and that's what it is when I pick it up. Is there a US equivalent?
I'm not familiar with any valet services that do this, but I'm sure they exist somewhere. There are some public and private parking lots that you can just leave your EV plugged in permanently the entire time (they do not move it). The US is very far behind in EV charging options. I would guess Canada is very far ahead of the US.