Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My all around charging kit.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
aah, I thought it was maybe all places you've checked-in with on Plugshare or something that auto-propagated. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat. :) Thanks, though.

I ain't got time for all those checkins ;) I have done checkins on some of the locations that haven't been updated for a while but if my experience is similar to one in the past few weeks I don't bother. I also don't bother with Supercharger checkins. Oddly enough the first night of owning the car I found a hotel with a charger that wasn't on PlugShare, I added it and a checkin, and it's been checked into several times since then! I'm a freaking hero! :D :D

I like your 20-amp setup, I'm thinking to do something similar with 30-amp generator cord. It would be about 60% heavier (10 awg instead of 12 awg) and only a 50% increase in kw power. But we have a 30 amp trailer (TT-30) and it could pull double-duty in charging the car at 240v/30a or use with the trailer 120v/30a.

Cost is not much different from 20-amp extension cord, and significantly cheaper/lighter than a 50 amp extension cord. Anyone put together such a kit?

I already have a 14-50 splitter to two TT-30, one 120v/30a leg to the trailer and one 120v/30a leg to the car.

I like your 20-amp setup, I'm thinking to do something similar with 30-amp generator cord. It would be about 60% heavier (10 awg instead of 12 awg) and only a 50% increase in kw power. But we have a 30 amp trailer (TT-30) and it could pull double-duty in charging the car at 240v/30a or use with the trailer 120v/30a.

Cost is not much different from 20-amp extension cord, and significantly cheaper/lighter than a 50 amp extension cord. Anyone put together such a kit?

I already have a 14-50 splitter to two TT-30, one 120v/30a leg to the trailer and one 120v/30a leg to the car.

I have a 14-50 outlet at home and mostly use a 14-50 to 14-30 adapter with a 14-30 extension cord. The reason being that the 6AWG cable for the 14-50 is not something I want to deal with (car is usually parked about 30 ft from the outlet). I do have the option of parking closer to the outlet and using just the mobile charger plugged straight into the 14-50 if I need the extra speed but I have not run into that situation yet.

Reactions: dduffey
I have a 14-50 outlet at home and mostly use a 14-50 to 14-30 adapter with a 14-30 extension cord. The reason being that the 6AWG cable for the 14-50 is not something I want to deal with (car is usually parked about 30 ft from the outlet). I do have the option of parking closer to the outlet and using just the mobile charger plugged straight into the 14-50 if I need the extra speed but I have not run into that situation yet.

I have a 14-50 that I load share across two Gen 2 HPWC so I totally understand the 6AWG comment, they are massive.

Yup... what I also like is that I can leave the 14-50 to 14-30 adapter plugged in to reduce wear on the actual 14-50 outlet. If the adapter socket starts to wear out, its a simple $10-20 swap vs having to get the 14-50 outlet replaced/re-wired.

The 14-30 extension cable is also pretty versatile when travelling since almost every house built after 1990 has that outlet available.