Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My audio upgrade for "Watt ME" - Reus Audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my P85, especially now that I have the summer wheels on the car. However, I have been quite disappointed in the stereo system even with the upgraded stereo and the parcel shelf.

The guys at Reus have now completed a design for the Model S based on the same principals and claim that the sound blows away what I have in my Boxster. They tell me that the amp for the Model S is custom designed to be efficient as well as sonically pure so should have a minimal drain on the battery. Based on my experience with them I went right ahead and ordered the upgrade.

Thank you Adstein! This is great news as a premium sedan like the MS deserves great tunes. Will keep an eye out for your review/report when you have the Reus stereo installed. Given your taste in music, one day soon you will be zooming along some good driving road blasting 'Going Mobile' by the Who!

Cliff will be doing my install of the Reus system early next week in northern Va. He's working his way down from Boston doing installations along the way. I hope to observe the work while it's being done and take photos of the various steps. In anticipation my entire CD collection (about 550) is being ripped to AIFF files on a 1TB hard drive that will be mounted in the Soflauthor's CCI.

I am traveling so haven't had time for a full review. Summary is excellent! Cliff spent close to 8 hours on the install and was meticulous in making sure the sound was perfect and to my liking. Looking at my car you would not know that it had been touched, listening to it you would have no doubt that it is in a different class of fidelity.

Since Tesla's sound upgrade includes software DSP processing to compensate for the vehicle's interior - and presumably tuned to the specific speakers Tesla included with the vehicle - how do you guys think future updates to the sound system from Tesla will interact with your custom upgrades? I mean, if Tesla changes the way the audio software processes audio based on an assumption of the type of speakers that are in the system, could that cause trouble with the custom audio stuff?

I had asked Reus Audio that exact question over a month ago and got a reply to not worry, that their system would automatically detect any changes from Tesla and make appropriate adjustments. I seriously question such a statement, since they do not continuously monitor the sound in the cabin to make on-the-fly adjustments.

We listened to the system at TESLIVE and were interested and gave our card to Rick. Based on no response in now almost 4 weeks and seeing some of the previous reviews, I would be seriously reluctant to spend any money with them. They were supposed to publish a TESLIVE group discount amount and the only thing I have now seen is artsci's post. Good luck to everyone... hope it works out.

So I can't comment on past or future experiences but I can share mine. Had the Reus system installed today. Cliff from Reus has been communicating with me reliably and regularly for the last 6 weeks. Got a list if available upgrades depending on my car configuration. I have the P85 with rear jump seats and SS system. Rick arranged for 3 cars to be installed while in about on. We went out for a drink the night before the install. Nice guy who clearly enjoys his work and is very knowledgable. Love the fact he subscribes to the "less is more" philosophy. We arranged for him to show up at the house at 9:30 while I was at work. My wife gave him access to the car and garage. I had a half day so went home around 1 PM as he was finishing up. install includes replacement of the A pillar leakers, installation of a small center channel speaker in the rear view mirror stalk pushing music into the front windshield to create the front sound stage, replacement of the rear subwoofer with a long throw 8" woofer, and placement of a 400 watt amp in the L rear section of the trunk. Also added crossovers, subwoofer control, and direct wiring of the amp to the 12 v battery. Install was pristine and no signs of modification except for the rear view mirror speaker. That's the only sign of the Reus system. He then spent 30-40 mins tuning the car using his own music and my USB stick. Sounds amazing! Completely in a different class! I live 3 miles from the local Tesla store so we went there and had one of the store managers Saul come out and compare the normal SS to Reus. He is a car and music junkie and was blown away. Basically told Cliff to give him his card and was going to let other owners know. Quite the endorsement. I have just sat in the car all evening listening to different tunes and been amazed. Cost is $3700 including your share of travel expenses which will vary. Considering the SS is now 2500, I would strongly urge prospective buyers to pass and consider the Reus system. You will not be disappointed and I do hope you have the chance to hear it locally before making a decision either way. Very happy and now just hope I can get the PDC to complete the car. Have made many fun modifications with help and guidance of TMC members and will post a video this weekend. Expecting custom mats recommended by another TMC member and lighted nosecone beta test kit from artsci in the next few weeks. Tesla is the new ultimate driving machine. Just my 2 cents. Cheers!

- - - Updated - - -

One other thing, Cliff said the speakers are essentially tuned so software updates should not affect the sound especially since you can basically put all settings to default. He tuned my system to all 0 on the equalizer and even balance on the faders. Up to me if I want to change those settings. I have no miss assumptions that his his system will magically and dynamically adapt to any software update. It will respond just like the SS or any other aftermarket system. Hope that helps.......

So with the new system you continue to use the touchscreen for all functions (volume, equalizer, etc) it just sounds better coming out the other end? Was there any loss/reconfiguration of storage space due to the new equipment, or did Reus basically put their stuff back in the existing locations in the car?

I'm definitely interested in the system (especially now that the Tesla SS is $2800CAD) but, given my location, getting it installed is going to be tough. I guess if a group of people were getting an install done somewhere close to the USA/CANADA border I could probably make the trip...

UPDATE: Does the Reus system still include satellite radio? This is the only other thing included with the Tesla package that is of interest to me. It would be awesome if they could set the system up for Sirius instead of XM (much better reception in Canada)!

Last edited:
To anyone with the Reus install: did you see how they got access to the existing audio system? Is it done from the top of the dash down or by going in from underneath. Looks to me like the entire top dash pad is removable but I don't want to pull it if that is not the right way in. Any input would be appreciated.

To anyone with the Reus install: did you see how they got access to the existing audio system? Is it done from the top of the dash down or by going in from underneath. Looks to me like the entire top dash pad is removable but I don't want to pull it if that is not the right way in. Any input would be appreciated.

Mine will be installed this evening. I don't think the dash has to be removed but I'll be watching and assisting. To be fair it won't be appropriate to reveal any information the Reus considers proprietary.