Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Auto-park malfunctioned and Tesla denied it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wasn't me trying to activate the Autopark, When I manually started backup to park into the slot, then it was promoting me to use it by popping up the "Start" button and also a beep. It promoted twice to me, the first time I didn't push it right away because I wasn't sure if I should use it, but in the second time I did, then I put hands off steering and released brake pedal to let it do the job, but then it hit the wall.

Do you have creep on?

Meanwlhile, why not go to a parking lot and learn to perpendicular park a few times? You pass the opening, see "P" and only once engage the autopark routine, not as you describe as a double step effort. Other say Auto Perp & Parallel parking are unreliable, but I've been doing it for years and it's very good. Some cars may need sensor service, not mine. In summary, get to know your car before hands/feet off.

I tried Autopark a couple of times. I determined I could do a better job and way faster.

I give credit to my dad. He made me learn how to parallel park a car in spots no more than 2 feet longer than the car before my driving test at age 16. Even 40+ years later I remember his lessons.

Last edited:
Reactions: frank-datank
I hate to say this, but Tesla may be correct; Tesla's staff don't lie, at least in my experiences over the past five years.

Having NEVER used it before, I think there's a strong possibility that you thought it was engaged, but it wasn't, and you let the car run into the obstacles.

I'd recommend trying it again and seeing how it sounds and acts when it IS actually engaged . . . .

I hate to say this, but Tesla may be correct; Tesla's staff don't lie, at least in my experiences over the past five years.

Having NEVER used it before, I think there's a strong possibility that you thought it was engaged, but it wasn't, and you let the car run into the obstacles.

I'd recommend trying it again and seeing how it sounds and acts when it IS actually engaged . . . .
If you have read my previous posts, you should have not made such assumption. If you make backup parking by yourself, you will have to keep steering the wheel. Please try it then let me know how you can think it was engaged and but it wasn't :)

I'm not an attorney, but I know there is such thing as a legal precedent. If a lawsuit is successful at finding Tesla liable for damage caused by Autopilot, I'm afraid that pretty much ends any chance for autonomous driving ever being developed by any company. None could afford that liability.

I'm not an attorney, but I know there is such thing as a legal precedent. If a lawsuit is successful at finding Tesla liable for damage caused by Autopilot, I'm afraid that pretty much ends any chance for autonomous driving ever being developed by any company. None could afford that liability.
There are already class actions against Tesla on Autopilot but no verdict yet and may never see a verdict at all. But it's very possible the individual case will win. Tesla settled lemon law with California back in 2016. There are some online media predicted negative impacts on autonomous driving technologies.

So today I walked into the local service center demanding them to look at the engineering notes, then the service manager said the notes show I didn't have auto-park turned on.

I have a really hard time thinking that Tesla engineers would look at the logs and then say "oopsie, we better lie", rather than just saying "it's the owner's responsibility to monitor auto-park". Therefore I tend to believe the engineers and think you were probably mistaken about having engaged Autopark.

Last edited:
I have a really hard time thinking that Tesla engineers would look at the logs and then say "oopsie, we better lie", rather than just saying "it's the owner's responsibility to monitor auto-park". Therefore I tend to believe the engineers and think you were probably mistaken about having engaged Autopark.
You didn't read many posts here with some of them apparently written by Tesla guys. One of them said, it's probably that not all alerts were captured during the event and if it's the case then it's hard to determine what direction to go to try to find out more information. I have also repeatedly said how I did and another guy (also likely working for Tesla) said it seems the Autopark was engaged. If you ever tried the function by yourself you may have said something else here.

You didn't read many posts here with some of them apparently written by Tesla guys. One of them said, it's probably that not all alerts were captured during the event and if it's the case then it's hard to determine what direction to go to try to find out more information. I have also repeatedly said how I did and another guy (also likely working for Tesla) said it seems the Autopark was engaged. If you ever tried the function by yourself you may have said something else here.

Yes, I've used Autopark on two different Model 3's. I've also read this entire thread and agree with what most people have said.

My conclusion is you didn't have Autopark engaged and are responsible. If I'm wrong and you did have Autopark engaged, you are still responsible (for not braking before the car rolled into the wall). Either way, you are responsible.

Yes, I've used Autopark on two different Model 3's. I've also read this entire thread and agree with what most people have said.

My conclusion is you didn't have Autopark engaged and are responsible. If I'm wrong and you did have Autopark engaged, you are still responsible (for not braking before the car rolled into the wall). Either way, you are responsible.
Yes, I'm responsible for all the financial burdens as result of the incident and also wasn't making full brake before it hit the wall, but you shouldn't suggest that I didn't have auto-park engaged. I actually have a witness next to me (who's the parking surveillance person of the office building) when it happened and she said it's so strange how the car behaved before it hit the wall. I was actually at work and it's in door parking structure.
The auto-park works for most of time but if it doesn't just for a single time, you are screwed badly.

Yes, I'm responsible for all the financial burdens as result of the incident and also wasn't making full brake before it hit the wall, but you shouldn't suggest that I didn't have auto-park engaged. I actually have a witness next to me (who's the parking surveillance person of the office building) when it happened and she said it's so strange how the car behaved before it hit the wall. I was actually at work and it's in door parking structure.

Well, I wasn't there but from the information presented in this thread, my conclusion is that you didn't have Autopark engaged.

And that's my final answer.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar