Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Auto-park malfunctioned and Tesla denied it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, I just encountered an auto-park malfunction during the back-in parking with auto-park engaged. It started perfectly but it never stopped and hit the wall in the back side of the car causing the bumper and backdoor to damage. I immediately reported to Tesla and was told they will get back to me with findings from the logs. I kept sending emails to them for the result of investigation but they only responded with one email saying they are waiting for the result.
Today I popped into the local service center and asked them to look into the case. They said to me the trace shows I never turned on auto-park function during the backup parking. This is a BIG SURPRISE to me and I never expected they totally lied about the incident.

Has anyone else encountered similar incident and Tesla also denied of any malfunction of the features? Fortunately I have a witness who was just outside of my car and saw how the car drove and hit the wall.

Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences if you have

Ray

I would ask them what the pedal logs say. How would the car have been moving if Autopark wasn’t moving the car? This is assuming there wasn’t a slope that could have caused the car to be rolling and you not realize it.

Based on previous reported autopark/ summon damage, Tesla universally blames the driver for these type events. So I am not surprised they responded how they did. Crappy as it is.

...witness...

1) That's why you need a dash cam with audio. Ideally, it should record the road as well as the instrument clusters to verify that the automation was activated.

lwD5GV7.jpg

If you cannot record the instrument clusters, make sure there's audio because when the automation is activated, it emits unique sounds so you can decipher which is which.

2) Even if the Autopark was indeed on, your owners' manual shifts the burden of operation to owners as it does not guarantee its perfection.

3) You should learn by now that Tesla does not cover for any cases that go wrong because of its automation system, including but not limited to Automatic Emergency Braking, Autopilot, Summon, Autopark, Falcon Wing Doors Collision Avoidance and others that I don't remember right now.

4) That means you need to be ready to react to avoid things go wrong or you just don't use its automation system.

5) It's just how it works in Tesla.

Last edited:
I would ask them what the pedal logs say. How would the car have been moving if Autopark wasn’t moving the car? This is assuming there wasn’t a slope that could have caused the car to be rolling and you not realize it.

Based on previous reported autopark/ summon damage, Tesla universally blames the driver for these type events. So I am not surprised they responded how they did. Crappy as it is.

They just said I didn't have auto-park engaged and it was all on manual control. It's totally BS. BTW, the ground was flat and in-door parking structure.

Hey, I just encountered an auto-park malfunction during the back-in parking with auto-park engaged. It started perfectly but it never stopped and hit the wall in the back side of the car causing the bumper and backdoor to damage. I immediately reported to Tesla and was told they will get back to me with findings from the logs. I kept sending emails to them for the result of investigation but they only responded with one email saying they are waiting for the result.
Today I popped into the local service center and asked them to look into the case. They said to me the trace shows I never turned on auto-park function during the backup parking. This is a BIG SURPRISE to me and I never expected they totally lied about the incident.

Has anyone else encountered similar incident and Tesla also denied of any malfunction of the features? Fortunately I have a witness who was just outside of my car and saw how the car drove and hit the wall.

Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences if you have

Ray
You envoked a perpendicular park, or summons backward? And to what environment, a garage? If garage, what object is sensed for final park position and were you centered on it?

Was the car moving in straight line, or was it doing a maneuver with the steering wheel?
Do you have Creep enabled?
Is it possible that you put the car in reverse thinking it was in auto park?
It was moving straight line backward and lined up with the parking lot perfectly by itself. I left hands off the steering wheel and no touch to the pedals. The only issue is that it didn't stop by itself and I wasn't able to react quickly to step on the brake before it hit the wall.

1) That's why you need a dash cam with audio. Ideally, it should record the road as well as the instrument clusters to verify that the automation was activated.

lwD5GV7.jpg

If you cannot record the instrument clusters, make sure there's audio because when the automation is activated, it emits unique sounds so you can decipher which is which.

2) Even if the Autopark was indeed on, your owners' manual shifts the burden of operation to owners as it does not guarantee its perfection.

3) You should learn by now that Tesla does not cover for any cases that go wrong because of its automation system, including but not limited to Automatic Emergency Braking, Autopilot, Summon, Autopark, Falcon Wing Doors Collision Avoidance and others that I don't remember right now.

4) That means you need to be ready to react to avoid things go wrong or you just don't use its automation system.

5) It's just how it works in Tesla.
thanks for your insights that helps me. I should install a camera to record all of the activities in future.

I understand your frustrations and it does suck to have a ding of any kind on the car.

Why didn't you slam on the brakes though?
It moved a bit faster than we normally park and the wall is quite close to the back side of the parking space. When I realized the car wasn't going to stop I stepped on the brake but it was already too late. It costs $5000 to have all damage parts replaced and labor.

7AC946DE-8568-431B-A9A7-A42B20F123F5.jpeg
C28494CD-B24C-424D-BF5B-94B553F451EB.jpeg
6C15DF8A-035C-452A-B529-5D1A1AFD9BB2.jpeg
C28494CD-B24C-424D-BF5B-94B553F451EB.jpeg
6C15DF8A-035C-452A-B529-5D1A1AFD9BB2.jpeg
This happened to us days after the first autopark was released for AP2 on our car. Parked perfectly but then sudden turn to the right followed by rapid acceleration into a pillar. Oops! And of course I’d forgotten to plug the camera in after a recent service visit (oops #2!).

It happened at 10pm. Called Tesla support. Explained what happened. He said they’ll immediately download and review the data and footage. Called back at 10:30pm saying the logs clearly show autopark was active and IT lunged forward and turned hard right.

30 minutes later, flatbed took the car away.

9 hours later, a GREAT loaner was delivered.

2 weeks later, our car was returned like new with an apology and free service plan and extended warranty. Amazing service. Autopark was updated shortly to avoid such a mishap. They didn’t make me sign an NDA (I even offered!!) so I’m free to discuss this openly.

Gotta always be careful with autopark. It’s not perfect. I think they changed their policy of accepting responsibility. Have a dash cam on as noted above. Sorry this happened!!

You envoked a perpendicular park, or summons backward? And to what environment, a garage? If garage, what object is sensed for final park position and were you centered on it?
It was in-door parking structure and I was back-in to the parking spot against wall. The screen promoted me to use Auto-park function so I pressed "Start" button, which my first time ever to try this function. The auto-park function initially did very well to line up the lot but failed to brake and stop even the sensors started beeping.

View attachment 365089 View attachment 365089 View attachment 365089 View attachment 365090 View attachment 365091 View attachment 365089 View attachment 365090 View attachment 365091 This happened to us days after the first autopark was released for AP2 on our car. Parked perfectly but then sudden turn to the right followed by rapid acceleration into a pillar. Oops! And of course I’d forgotten to plug the camera in after a recent service visit (oops #2!).

It happened at 10pm. Called Tesla support. Explained what happened. He said they’ll immediately download and review the data and footage. Called back at 10:30pm saying the logs clearly show autopark was active and IT lunged forward and turned hard right.

30 minutes later, flatbed took the car away.

9 hours later, a GREAT loaner was delivered.

2 weeks later, our car was returned like new with an apology and free service plan and extended warranty. Amazing service. Autopark was updated shortly to avoid such a mishap. They didn’t make me sign an NDA (I even offered!!) so I’m free to discuss this openly.

Gotta always be careful with autopark. It’s not perfect. I think they changed their policy of accepting responsibility. Have a dash cam on as noted above. Sorry this happened!!
Yes it definitely changed policy but in the wrong way of denying it by saying it didn't see the auto-park was engaged. Clearly lying...

Yes it definitely changed policy but in the wrong way of denying it by saying it didn't see the auto-park was engaged. Clearly lying...
And it took them a month to get an engineering notes and I waited for another month for them to reply me but they never did. So today I walked into the local service center demanding them to look at the engineering notes, then the service manager said the notes show I didn't have auto-park turned on.

Reactions: MelaniainLA