Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My autopilot has never worked.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So actually it worked once. At about 225 miles, for 10 minutes. And hasn't worked since, and I'm at 425 miles.

It's currently day 2 at service.

I'm posting to see if anybody else has had this issue, and if it was fixed, what the they said was the problem.

I have a bad feeling that the SC is going to be awhile, like a few people I've seen on Facebook, and I'm trying to be proactive to maybe let the SC know what other people's fixes were.

This also may go with Model S too, because doing a search I've seen a few people have the same issue.

Most people said the front camera's or radar was replaced, but that was for Model S.

Anybody have the same or similar issue, that has been fixed?

Many times it's a camera (module, meaning all of them up front) alignment issue. If it's not worked for that long, I bet that's what it is. Most of them self-calibrate in 30-50 miles, and then work perfectly. Most of AP's 'normal' function is from the camera(s). TACC uses the radar to slow you down, etc. But the autosteer (line recognition, and all that) is from the camera. If, for example, it would never 'come up' because it couldn't recognize the lines, then that's all from the cameras, alignment or vision, or something else in that 'chain'.

And no reason it can't be the same on the 3 as on an S or X, it's the same hardware, more or less: AP2.5 is the same (except for the water cooling on the CPU module).

Let us know what they find out!

• Informative
Reactions: arcus
First I've heard of an autopilot problem on the 3, did you at least get a nice loaner?

I'm taking mine in next Wednesday for an airbag sensor problem.
Unfortunately not. The guy with the same issue on Facebook got a P100D ludicrous, and I got a Chrysler 300 rental.

If it seems to be a longer issue, I'm going to ask them to hold the next Tesla loaner for me, so maybe I can possibly trade. It would take the blow a little easier.

Unfortunately not. The guy with the same issue on Facebook got a P100D ludicrous, and I got a Chrysler 300 rental.

If it seems to be a longer issue, I'm going to ask them to hold the next Tesla loaner for me, so maybe I can possibly trade. It would take the blow a little easier.

Tesla does do this.. give you the next Tesla loaner that comes in.

It's funny how I can spy on them via the widget to see if they are test driving it.

They did at least once today, so it seems they are trying things out.

Problem is, if the car needs to do the normal calibration time again, how would they know if it works?

Is this true? I thought the 3 has a driver facing camera that is missing from AP2.5 on the S/X (even if not activated)? Or do the S/X also come with driver facing cameras now?
That camera is not active so you can call it different or not. :D As far as anything that we are using, it’s identical as to functionality. It’s rumored that’s for the Tesla Network down the road but I wouldn’t hold your breath.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
I've been keeping a list of times that my autopilot isn't available. In the 10 days I've had the car, 8 of the days it hasn't been useable for at least one of my drives. Some days it's not available on any of my drives (3-5x drives a day), somedays it works for one way of my commute but not the other. Only two days has it worked for all my drives. Is this normal?

I had the EXACT same problem! Owned it for a week and only had the use of autopilot a couple of times, never for very long. Off to the SC for 4 days, gave me a MS loaner. Oh, about the loaner: It was GREAT! It was an 85 single motor but had Autopilot 1 and EXECUTIVE SEATING! I had never even SEEN one with those seats! Two great, comfortable rear seats with a huge center console between them! Very cool! Anyway, when I picked my M3 up, all was well with autopilot! They told me the problem was caused by the front center camera module. One of the three cameras was sort of intermittent. This is basically what Boaterva posted, (above). If you get this problem, just make an apt with the SC. They can fix it! Mac

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
I realized after 2 days with the Model S, that my problem wasn't just no autopilot, It's that the blue lane on the left of the screen, that shows your car, the speed limit, and other cars, is not there.. My car is there, but the lane is not there, and no cars show. The speed limit has flashed a few times, but in the 400 miles was really never there.

I always thought that it only shows when autopilot is ready, but my S loaner doesn't have AP and the lane is there, along with cars in front of me and the speed limit.

I'm curious if the others with issues also had this issue, or the lane showed correctly, just AP never came on?

I feel something really is wrong if that lane is not there.

My AP never worked on my new Model S. Kept calling and emailing and being assured that it would kick in after calibration. Finally after 1500 miles got it into the shop... front facing camera was bad and they had to replace the whole windshield to fix the issue. After that, I was amazed at all of the new details in the binnacle - lane lines, other cars, speed limit, autopilot ready steering wheel, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: Snerruc
I've been keeping a list of times that my autopilot isn't available. In the 10 days I've had the car, 8 of the days it hasn't been useable for at least one of my drives. Some days it's not available on any of my drives (3-5x drives a day), somedays it works for one way of my commute but not the other. Only two days has it worked for all my drives. Is this normal?
It does depend on the road. Quality of the stripes, etc. if normally operating.

For those that had AP calibration issues, did you have any cars, lines or anything showing up in the display or was it completely blank the whole time it was "calibrating"? I'm at 80 miles now and still no EAP, but I do see accurate images of the other vehicles around me on the display.