Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Awful Model 3 Service Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this may be something of a rant post but also, I'm just honestly not sure what to do at this point.

I ordered my model 3 in Dec, and picked it up in Feb.
I absolutely love the car itself. Everything from the performance to the autopilot is brilliant and I couldn't see myself going back to a normal car.
But unfortunately, I had a few minor issues which have turned into weeks of frustration.

Service 1:
Upon pickup, I noticed that the motor whine in my car was a fair bit louder than the one I'd test driven. Not awful, but noticeable.
Additionally, there was a 'popping' sound from the dash whenever the heating was on.
I booked a service to have both issues looked at. Had to wait a week or so, and once the car was dropped off it took about a week as trying to address the HVAC issue required pretty much disassembling the entire front of the car.

Upon pickup, they told me that the motor whine was louder than usual but 'within spec'.
And that the entire HVAC unit needed replacing.
Also, whilst reassembling the car they scratched one of the inside a-pillar fabric trims and would be replacing that too.

Annoying on both counts, and I'm still doubtful about the motor whine being normal. But fine.
We book a service a few weeks later for when the HVAC arrives, though in the meantime I also get a chip on my windshield. This has about a 1 month lead time currently so the service was moved later so they could do both at once.

Service 2:
I come to drop my car off for the service on Friday at 8am. And am told there are no courtesy cars available. Even though this service was booked over a month in advance and it was CLEARLY going to be a multi-day job.
This is pretty annoying as I now have no way of getting to work.

Not as though I have a choice, I get a train home and arrange to work from home for the next week.
The weekend rolls by, and it gets to Wednesday.
I text the service centre to ask for an update, and they reply that the lead technician working on my car is on holiday this week so work won't start til Monday.
Seriously!?
So why in the hell did you have me drop my car off 9 DAYS before you'd be able to even start working on it?

I arrange to work from home for a 2nd week.....
Work finally finished on the car about 4pm on the Friday, over 2 weeks after I dropped the car off, and I go to pick it up. Service centre was closing by the time I arrived.

The windscreen is replaced, HVAC seems to be working fine, aaaaand my wipers are so misaligned they're just straight up visible in the car, two bits of trim in the corners of the windscreen are loose, and the steering column has been mounted at an angle.

I contact the service centre and luckily they agree to sort these out the next day.

Service 3:
I take the car in and they address these issues in about 30 mins. So quite quick luckily.
Car seems fine and I take it away. Until I notice some creaking from the dashboard.
Closer inspection shows it is not mounted properly on the left side. Leaving a gap between the glovebox lid top and the silver bar on the dashboard trim. Seems the dashboard isn't properly clipped down on that side.

I'm taking the car in AGAIN tomorrow but I'm incredibly frustrated.
I've had this car since February, and every single time I take the car in to fix an issue it leaves with something else broken in the process of fixing the last problem.

I know that some of the issues are cosmetic, but it just feels like this car is never going to be 'as it should be'.
I don't know at what point you just say 'this is ridiculous and has gone on too long'

The dashboard needs to be fixed, I'm still certain that I'm just being fobbed off about the motor noise, and I've got a rattle from the rear seat that I'm scared to even ask to get fixed cause with the way things are going I'll end up with broken seats or something trying to fix it...

Sorry for your problems.
Yeah, when things get disassembled extensively as was your HVAC case, the odds of something getting damaged or reassembled incorrectly go up significantly. It's disappointing that Tesla didn't get you a loaner or at least Uber credits.
Perhaps you could attempt to increase communications with them, since they don't seem to communicate well with customers, and insist on a loaner. I did this in the past, but they had more loaners back then.

When I took delivery in 2018, I had to give the car back for two weeks while they had the Tesla approved body shop repaint the bumper and hood due to paint nibs. I hope the new factories and paint facilities have solved the contamination problems.

After I worked through the initial build quality issues, it's been the best car I've ever owned, and has required very little maintenance in my first 67K miles.

Sorry for your problems.
Yeah, when things get disassembled extensively as was your HVAC case, the odds of something getting damaged or reassembled incorrectly go up significantly. It's disappointing that Tesla didn't get you a loaner or at least Uber credits.
Perhaps you could attempt to increase communications with them, since they don't seem to communicate well with customers, and insist on a loaner. I did this in the past, but they had more loaners back then.

When I took delivery in 2018, I had to give the car back for two weeks while they had the Tesla approved body shop repaint the bumper and hood due to paint nibs. I hope the new factories and paint facilities have solved the contamination problems.

After I worked through the initial build quality issues, it's been the best car I've ever owned, and has required very little maintenance in my first 67K miles.
Unfortunately there is no way to communicate with the service centre other than via SMS here. And they usually take a couple hours to respond.
Not sure if it's different in the US.

I'm hoping that everything will be sorted soon.
The car itself as said is brilliant and I hope that once the initial stuff is sorted it won't need anything else for a while :p

So this may be something of a rant post but also, I'm just honestly not sure what to do at this point.

I absolutely love the car itself. Everything from the performance to the autopilot is brilliant and I couldn't see myself going back to a normal car.
But unfortunately, I had a few minor issues which have turned into weeks of frustration.

Service 1:
Upon pickup, I noticed that the motor whine in my car was a fair bit louder than the one I'd test driven. Not awful, but noticeable.
Additionally, there was a 'popping' sound from the dash whenever the heating was on.
I booked a service to have both issues looked at. Had to wait a week or so, and once the car was dropped off it took about a week as trying to address the HVAC issue required pretty much disassembling the entire front of the car.

Upon pickup, they told me that the motor whine was louder than usual but 'within spec'.
Also, whilst reassembling the car they scratched one of the inside a-pillar fabric trims and would be replacing that too.

Annoying on both counts, and I'm still doubtful about the motor whine being normal. But fine.
We book a service a few weeks later for when the HVAC arrives, though in the meantime I also get a chip on my windshield. This has about a 1 month lead time currently so the service was moved later so they could do both at once.

Service 2:
I come to drop my car off for the service on Friday at 8am. And am told there are no courtesy cars available. Even though this service was booked over a month in advance and it was CLEARLY going to be a multi-day job.

Not as though I have a choice, I get a train home and arrange to work from home for the next week.
I text the service centre to ask for an update, and they reply that the lead technician working on my car is on holiday this week so work won't start til Monday.
Seriously!?
So why in the hell did you have me drop my car off 9 DAYS before you'd be able to even start working on it?

Work finally finished on the car about 4pm on the Friday, over 2 weeks after I dropped the car off, and I go to pick it up. Service centre was closing by the time I arrived.

The windscreen is replaced, HVAC seems to be working fine, aaaaand my wipers are so misaligned they're just straight up visible in the car, two bits of trim in the corners of the windscreen are loose, and the steering column has been mounted at an angle.

I contact the service centre and luckily they agree to sort these out the next day.

Service 3:
I take the car in and they address these issues in about 30 mins. So quite quick luckily.
Car seems fine and I take it away. Until I notice some creaking from the dashboard.
Closer inspection shows it is not mounted properly on the left side. Leaving a gap between the glovebox lid top and the silver bar on the dashboard trim. Seems the dashboard isn't properly clipped down on that side.

I've had this car since February, and every single time I take the car in to fix an issue it leaves with something else broken in the process of fixing the last problem.

I know that some of the issues are cosmetic, but it just feels like this car is never going to be 'as it should be'.
I don't know at what point you just say 'this is ridiculous and has gone on too long'

The dashboard needs to be fixed, I'm still certain that I'm just being fobbed off about the motor noise, and I've got a rattle from the rear seat that I'm scared to even ask to get fixed cause with the way things are going I'll end up with broken seats or something trying to fix it...

Sorry for your experience, unfortunately it seems that Tesla service is by far the worst part of owning one of these cars. My car is also at service for over a week now and I'm not sure they have even started working on it...

Reactions: GoldenOne
Unfortunately there is no way to communicate with the service centre other than via SMS here. And they usually take a couple hours to respond.
Not sure if it's different in the US.
I had to message them and ask for the tech to call me before I'd show for the scheduled appointment. The tech called me the day before my service appointment and we briefly discussed my requirement for same day repair or a loaner vehicle, and that the needed parts had arrived.
Perhaps I was lucky with my Service Center, but I have a 3.5 hour drive to the Service Center and I told them I would not drive until I got verbal confirmation of parts availability, and same day repair.
Perhaps this may work for others.

Service 1:

Service 2:

Seriously!?

Service 3:

Big problems with service, big enough to avoid buying Tesla’s for a bit.

Nothing surprising here. Tesla service sucks bad and the cars seem to be hastily assembled with poor attention to detail. So great in other ways though.

I've also had to type into the app, "this is my phone number, give me a damn phone call" in order to clearly communicate with anyone in service.

I've given up on working with tesla for most service and instead I've been studying up on youtube whenever anything needs attention and doing it myself (short of major parts). Even with the warranty in place, it's not worth the aggravation to deal with the tesla service center. Also doesn't help that the service center closest to me burned down in the Marshall Fire, so add a long drive and inconvenient travel arrangements to the list.

Reactions: Dcam
I had to message them and ask for the tech to call me before I'd show for the scheduled appointment. The tech called me the day before my service appointment and we briefly discussed my requirement for same day repair or a loaner vehicle, and that the needed parts had arrived.
Perhaps I was lucky with my Service Center, but I have a 3.5 hour drive to the Service Center and I told them I would not drive until I got verbal confirmation of parts availability, and same day repair.
Perhaps this may work for others.
Ih my! I am so darn lucky! When we downsized to an apartment, it turned out that we live less than 800 meters from the Tesla store and service. I can practically walk there. Yup, I had a couple repeat trips for the same thing, but I am overall happy. I know it's not the case for everyone.

So I took the car in to the service centre yesterday and they fixed the dashboard alignment fairly swiftly. Unfortunately the clicking/rattle that occasionally is heard from the front left of the car is still present.

Aaaaand I just noticed today that my heated steering wheel is no longer working.

Service number 5 coming up I guess....

I'm taking it to a different service centre this time. And will ask them to look at all the rattles and also the motor whine.
Really hoping that things can just get sorted cause this is getting beyond ridiculous at this point

I honestly don't know at what point legally you can just ask to return/replace the car.
I love the car itself, and just want it fixed, but if after 5 trips to the manufacturer's own service centre problems aren't fixed what are you supposed to do?