TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My Baby got sideswiped today

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mrElbe, Mar 27, 2015.

1. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Got sideswiped this evening on Highway 9 just past the Hwy 27 lights going eastbound in second lane. Other car entering from Hwy 27 drifted right across from his turn on lane into me. Has anybody gotten any body repairs done in the Toronto area? Does Tesla have specific designated shops that know what they are doing with Aluminium?
    I'll take damage pictures in the daytime tomorrow. And the whole incident was recorded by my dash cam.

2. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

What a shame. On a positive note, you seem to be safe and healthy. It sure does help that you are driving one of the safest cars on the road.
    Wishing you well.

3. DMC-Orangeville

DMC-Orangeville 85D and John Deere 5100E

Bad spot. Folks coming off 27 tend to ignore the traffic....have to make it to the left before the highway narrows to 2 lanes. I may need to know this too ( but not too soon I hope); taking delivery on Tuesday. I'm not to far from there, at 9 and Airport. Note: I've yet to see a Tesla west of Schomberg (9 and 27)!

I'll watch this feed and learn.

4. sundoc

sundoc Member

That sucks!
    Sounds like you're ok though... and that's most important!

5. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

#5 mrElbe, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    Here is an overall picture of the damage. Have to wait until Monday to set the repair wheels in motion. Looks like a very expensive repair to me. Yes, I am glad that no other harm happened. I am mostly cheesed off that my planned Tesla trips to Maryland in April and to South Dakota most likely have to be cancelled.

More pictures here: Accident

Attached Files:

• acc1.jpg
      acc1.jpg
      File size:
      500.5 KB
      Views:
  6. BerTX

BerTX Member

You are likely in for a painful, expensive shock. I hope I'm wrong.

7. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Other driver is being charged by police with improper lane change causing an accident. His insurance has to pay.

8. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Other than a little extra ventilation, losing a 'touch' of aero and therefore range, and only entering or leaving the vehicle from the driver's side, I think you're good to go. :tongue:

9. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

As they say in the industry, it will buff out. :wink:

10. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Yep, surface scratch. Take it down a back (dirt/gravel) road, you won't even see the damage. :biggrin:

11. BerTX

BerTX Member

I do hope it works out well. Hopefully Canadian insurance companies are less unscrupulous than those in the US. I'd guess that damage to be in the $25000 range at a Tesla-approved shop. Here, the insurance company would declare it a total loss and pay you the current used car market value that they make up (but significantly less than your cost for a new car), then they would have the car repaired at a less expensive shop and sell it.

12. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

#12 Jgdixon, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    Sorry my friend, glad you are OK. The Tesla recommended shop is Excellence Auto Body. They have actually been to California and trained at the factory. I hit a deer with my Sig and and they did the work which was great.

13. Liz G

Liz G P03056

Terrible! Glad you're OK and glad the other driver's insurance has to pay.

14. Kbsilver

Kbsilver Member

Not to worry, no one is hurt and body repair is now a pretty exact science. When done it should look as good as new. How much it will cost, that's a different issue.

15. kr200

kr200 Member

In Ontario it's No Fault insurance, so I'm sure your own Insurance will pay. Just make sure they don't assign ANY part of the fault to you as they will use it to increase your rate. If the other driver was from out of Province, then his insurance must pay according to fault. Don't let them screw you around. They will try to deduct several silly fees from your settlement. Remember, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" :wink:

16. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Luckily my insurance has a "no depreciation" clause for the first two years of ownership.

17. elecanuck

elecanuck Member

Yours will join mine at Excellence, last week I discovered a 5000 lb car doesn't stop as quickly as a 2000 lb one :scared:

No word on cost yet

IMG_20150320_180709.jpg

18. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Wow, elecanuck, that is a nasty front damage. Hope Excellence will do a super job fixing it.

19. tsarlsy

tsarlsy Member

Do you have to pay a deductible for a no fault accident like this?

20. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

My insurance said that they will recover the deductible from the other company since it is the other drivers fault. So, I do not expect to pay a deductible. Stay tuned.