TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

My baby is all grown up now (4 year old Model S)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Plug Me In, Mar 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

Just passed 4 years with my S85. I used to be a regular here in the lead up to buying and in the several months after delivery of my S85 but haven't checked in much over the past couple of years. Just passed my 4th anniversary on March 10 and the car is as good, probably better, than the day I got her. Only regret is not getting the sunroof (pretty buggy in the early days) and seat heaters (only came with the leather seats).

I've had a few problems over the years, but nothing too annoying and everything quickly remedied by my service center in Raleigh, and never a single grumble or complaint about the 2.5 hour drive to come pick up my car. My current set of tires has about 20k miles but the car feels as smooth as the day I drove it home the first time.

I had a P85D loaner for my last service visit and it was a blast with the power and the autopilot, but I was happy to get mine back. The old cloth seat (still in great shape) is more comfortable and the car feels smoother and quieter than the loaner. Thanks Tesla!

• Like x 13
  2. Barry

Barry Active Member

Are you going to cry when she gets on the school bus for the first time?

• Funny x 4
  3. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

Mine as well. Just past 4 years (still in the 30-day "should I get an extended warranty" period).

Still runs perfect. The car is also smoother and quieter than any loaner I've ever had.

My biggest gripe is still the floor mats that Tesla just can't get to stay in position.

And only 3% range loss after 4 years!

• Like x 9
    • Informative x 1
  4. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Interesting - do you have a body color roof and air suspension?

5. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Heck not even mature yet says my 9 year old Roadster still going strong.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 2
  6. Manzacoty

Manzacoty Member

That's awesome. How many miles have you clocked?

7. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

Pano roof, air suspension.

8. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Why do you think it's quieter than newer loaners?

9. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

Less squeaks, less rattles, less road noise, less drivetrain noise, more pleasant acceleration noise/tone.

Also less "give" in the driver seat (though not really audible).

It had all those things initially, but it settled down over time. Sometimes with a bit of encouragement from the service center, sometimes not.

But not taking work done into account here - presumably Tesla services their loaners as well. Just saying that the state of the car as it is now, is better than any of the loaners I've ever had - AP or prior. I obviously can't discount the possibility that maybe I only had bad loaners.

10. jschwefel

jschwefel VIN#1249

I share the same feelings. I have an early P85 (#1249) that I bought from a gentleman on this forum, and I absolutely love it! The car now has over 65k miles and it feels better, quieter and smoother, than any of the loaner cars I've had. I especially love the options (premium sound, air suspension, pano roof, performance,...) that I probably wouldn't have selected had I bought new. Everything about the car is amazing and it keeps getting better with UI updates.

11. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

Well... disagree with that one, but the loaners were similarly afflicted, so it all evens out :).

12. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

Mine has 46K. I have air suspension on mine. I wonder if the dual motor contributes to a little extra noise and maybe makes the car a little stiffer. I've had loaners 5 or 6 times over the years, but this last was the only time I've put serious miles on one.

I had my drive unit replaced a year ago, got a new touch screen a year ago as well and it really seems like the stereo sounds better. I went all in with 8 year service and warranty up front; glad I did so I don't have to agonize now (it was cheaper then too!).

13. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

82K miles on our late 2012 P85 (VIN 3xxx), and the car is running great and still looks almost like new inside and out. My biggest disappointment, as someone who's been responsible for major software projects, is the basic functionality that's still missing in the core software apps (waypoints, playlists, route customization, ...), the obvious bugs that still make it into the official releases, and the seemingly random start-stop process used to distribute most software releases.

We're planning to trade in my wife's Jaguar when we're able to end the EPA hostage crisis on our S 100D (maybe tomorrow) - so we'll be a two Model S family, at least until my wife can get her Model 3 - and we'll trade-in the "classic" (she wants EAP/FSD).

It took 4 years for Tesla to make enough improvements to get us to pull the trigger on a 2nd Model S - the combination of the 70 miles of additional rated range for the 100D (with the same 0-60 acceleration as our P85) coupled with EAP and the possibility of future FSD, finally was too much to resist...

• Like x 2