TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My balloon squeal is gone, perhaps forever. Why?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Todd Burch, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Around the time I had my 25,000 mile checkup, I had posted a question on TMC about gear slop in the drivetrain. It wasn't significantly bothering me, just wanted to make sure it was normal. My service center contacted me about it, checked it out, and as a precaution had replaced the drivetrain. Great service, but I know now that replacing the drivetrain was completely unnecessary. I've since discovered that my new drivetrain has a similar slop characteristic when switching from regen to power generation, as did a loaner--so it turns out it wasn't at all out of the ordinary. Again, not a big deal, just wanted to verify that it was normal.

Here's the interesting thing:

I used to have the balloon squeal noise at full power (S85) on my original drivetrain, even when the car was new. It would happen almost every time under full power. I've had my new drivetrain now for about 7,000 miles, and never once have heard the balloon squeal with it. Not once.

So is the balloon squeal no longer evident on newer drivetrains? Has this "issue" been fixed? Are you newer S drivers hearing the balloon squeal under full power? (Maybe P85s still hear it but S85s don't?)

Coincidentally, my car also feels slower now. It's most likely just due to the fact that I'm used to the performance now, but I sometimes wonder if my power has been dialed back? My S85 feels decently fast, but when I floor it at a light I get instant power but don't get the full kick in the pants until 2 or 3 seconds later (maybe that's normal).

2. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

I have an S85, and have never had the squeal. Vin in the mid 6k.

3. liuping

liuping Active Member

I'm guessing you are used to it. I noticed the slight delay much more after using a P85 loaner.

I've learned to ease into the acceleration slightly, then punch it after about a second. That gives me the most feeling of acceleration and will have to due until I upgrade to a P85 someday.

4. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I did not have the balloon squeal until my battery pack was replaced. At the same time, they said diagnostics did not pass on my old HV cable assembly and they had to replace it. Ever since that was replaced, the squeal is there under full acceleration.

5. SarahsDad

SarahsDad Member

Never had the squeal until I upgraded to 5.9. Others have mentioned their's went away with 5.9; mine appeared.

6. William13

William13 Member

My squeal disappeared with drivetrain replacement also but has started to return but much softer so far.

7. David99

David99 Active Member

Interesting! I can definitely hear it kick in when I floor it. I assumed it the inverter switching from star to delta configuration to achieve max power. Star config is better for start up, delta is the key to full power. But I'm totally guessing here and I don't know if it would cause the squealing sound. It doesn't bother me at all. I actually think it's cool. It's like a audible confirmation that full power is flowing, similar to a turbo spinning up.

Regarding easing into full power. I definitely noticed that. Even if you punch the pedal, you can feel and see on the power display that it's ramping up to full power. It's not instant.

What are the advantages of using star-delta connections for a three phase motor

8. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

I've had the drive assembly replaced at 13k, a couple of months ago (for the highway speed droaning sound). Now at 15k miles. Squeal has been there almost identically for both motor/inverters. Though there are different conditions when it squeals, which I'm still trying to figure out under what repeatable scenarios it can be induced.

Have they determined what causes the squeal? Is it the HV cables resonating at the contact points under load?

9. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

I still have the original drivetrain and battery (unfortunately). I had the squeal until ~20 K and since then it's been gone. I've been flooring it whenever I get the chance listening closely for the squeal, but have never had it come back. I also notice that the "full kick" does not appear until 3 or so seconds under full acceleration. I'm wondering if the squeal is related to a certain power output and my car isn't achieving the same max power. I'll run a test with Visible Tesla one of these days.

10. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

I noticed mine squealing lighter in the throttle today. No recent updates, either. Maybe it's the warmer weather?

11. WeazL

WeazL Moderator - Hawaii

Vin 20754 - Always had it...on 5.9 and still have it. I love making it squeal! (hahaha--that sounds totally wrong.)

12. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

13. PBP

PBP Member

Mine is 6 weeks old, and has it all squeeks of various tones depending on cold or warm start, and then on top a Tesla bonus with that annoying hum at 70-75 mph

14. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Same here. Never had it at all.

15. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

16. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

Only had it in extreme cold with my B-pack battery prior to 5.9, didn't have it on 5.9 with B-pack, but now I have the squeal on my replacement refurb A-pack under full acceleration, at warm temps (60F).

17. hikerockies

hikerockies Member

Similar experience here. Didn't have squeal until upgrade to 5.8.?. It has persisted through upgrade to 5.9.

18. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

Dec 2013 car, had it 4 months, 8,000 km (5,000 mi), and last night heard the balloon squeal under full acceleration for the very first time.

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

20. zdre

zdre 40kWh Model S P6415

My balloon squeal is actually worse. It now sometimes comes out as early as 30kW and even appears on regen! Not sure if it had to do with 5.9 or warmer weather.