TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My batteries recharging themselves?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Bobbyducati, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Bobbyducati

Bobbyducati Member

So, unplugged from work today with 155 rated miles charge [1] at 3:55 pm today. I went to the gym near by, drove on home. I just checked my app to see what my current charge was (just being bored and plugging thru the apps on my phone) and noticed it was at 154 rated miles [2] . I thought to myself: "thats odd, im almost certain i left work with 155, and i drove about 5 miles since then." So I then proceeded to go check my car to see if this was just an app screw up or something weirder [3] .
    TL : DR: drove 4.6 rated miles yet only dropped 1 rated mile on my charge.
    Anyone have any ideas on this? Product of the batteries balancing themselves, perhaps?

2. eco5280

eco5280 Member

Doesn't range miles use logic to calculate based on your driving? It's not a direct measure of kWh left in the 'tank' I don't think.

3. Bobbyducati

Bobbyducati Member

#3 Bobbyducati, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    i checked the the settings in the car, and its rated miles: 154 and ideal miles 177. I was under the impression a rated mile was based on 304wh/m, not recent driving habits, but I could definitely be wrong.

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

"Rated" seems to vary by at least variant (40/60, 60, 85, P85, P85+, 70D, 85D, P85D) and possibly by production time. The value "304" might be used for some cars, but not all.
    Correct.

5. Bobbyducati

Bobbyducati Member

interesting, i always thought the 304 wh/m figure was an EPA standard.

6. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Temperature can have an effect on range calculations.

7. Dien Kim Nguyen

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Going downhill? :biggrin:

8. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

Not seen it in the middle of SoC range, but I have seen this at the top. At pack balancing it doesn't necessarily give you the range while it balances (it'll show up the next time you recharge), but I have left home with 396km and even after 8km it was still 396km, only after that started to drop according to actual usage. So I was able to use the extra kWh from balancing and the range remaining showed the capacity, but oddly at the time had a cap from where it started balancing. Been only 1-2 cases like that though for me so not a common thing ;)

9. Bobbyducati

Bobbyducati Member

this seems like the most reasonable explanation to me.