Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My batteries recharging themselves?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, unplugged from work today with 155 rated miles charge [1] at 3:55 pm today. I went to the gym near by, drove on home. I just checked my app to see what my current charge was (just being bored and plugging thru the apps on my phone) and noticed it was at 154 rated miles [2] . I thought to myself: "thats odd, im almost certain i left work with 155, and i drove about 5 miles since then." So I then proceeded to go check my car to see if this was just an app screw up or something weirder [3] .
TL : DR: drove 4.6 rated miles yet only dropped 1 rated mile on my charge.
Anyone have any ideas on this? Product of the batteries balancing themselves, perhaps?

Doesn't range miles use logic to calculate based on your driving? It's not a direct measure of kWh left in the 'tank' I don't think.
i checked the the settings in the car, and its rated miles: 154 and ideal miles 177. I was under the impression a rated mile was based on 304wh/m, not recent driving habits, but I could definitely be wrong.

Last edited:
Not seen it in the middle of SoC range, but I have seen this at the top. At pack balancing it doesn't necessarily give you the range while it balances (it'll show up the next time you recharge), but I have left home with 396km and even after 8km it was still 396km, only after that started to drop according to actual usage. So I was able to use the extra kWh from balancing and the range remaining showed the capacity, but oddly at the time had a cap from where it started balancing. Been only 1-2 cases like that though for me so not a common thing ;)

Not seen it in the middle of SoC range, but I have seen this at the top. At pack balancing it doesn't necessarily give you the range while it balances (it'll show up the next time you recharge), but I have left home with 396km and even after 8km it was still 396km, only after that started to drop according to actual usage. So I was able to use the extra kWh from balancing and the range remaining showed the capacity, but oddly at the time had a cap from where it started balancing. Been only 1-2 cases like that though for me so not a common thing ;)

this seems like the most reasonable explanation to me.