Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My battery makes a "thunking" sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've had the S for just shy of 6 months and have about 10K miles on it. I've noticed that when charging or sometimes waiting at a light or when the car is stopped that there's a "thunking" sound that is coming from somewhere in the car (seems to be from the back). It sounds like a "thunk" or like if you have a hard ball that is rolling around on carpet (if that makes sense).

Is this a normal sound, it seems to be - perhaps - tied to the battery. BTW, we don't have anything rolling around in the car - and it happens when the car is completely motionless when charging.

The Model S has any number of things that might make noise when stopped/charging/running. Solenoids, relays, cooling system pumps, brake pumps, etc. Some of these systems will activate occasionally even when the car is off and not charging. Check out the vampire drain thread.

Best to have your service center check it out. If this happens when you step on the pedal from a full stop, I'll hazard to guess that you are going to need a new battery because you may have that dreaded contactor issue that results in total failure at some point. This is why you should have service check it out instead of relying on forum diagnosis. It could be nothing or it could be pretty serious. Best to let the pros handle it.

Amped is talking about what has been described in multiple treads as the "dreaded clunk". All owners should read about this, even though it is an extremely rare occurance. Main takeaway if your clunk uncouples the mains is to pull off the road, chock the wheels and put the car in jack and tow mode before the juice to the 12V runs out.