Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My biggest complaint with Navigate on Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been using NoA extensively for about a couple of weeks now and overall I'm impressed with where Tesla is going with it.
  • I understand that the neural net is relatively young and it's going to be learning very quickly
  • I'm fine with reduced functionality under certain weather and construction conditions
  • I'm okay with NoA overlooking opportunities to move to a faster lane, even though I'm on the most aggressive setting.
What I find absolutely unacceptable; however, is the complete lack of any audible notice that NoA is asking for my permission to do something.

Tesla, it is ridiculous that you (rightfully) demand that I pay attention to my surroundings and stay ready to take over at any time yet you simultaneously require that I continually watch the display for NoA's request for confirmation!

For heck's sake, implement some sort of tone that alerts me that NoA is wanting confirmation!

And while you're at it, please make the NoA request stay on screen for a little longer.

And increase the font size of the NoA messages. Your programmers might all be in their 20's and 30's but your owners are not.

Thank you.

End of rant.

Agree generally, but it actually does chime ONCE when it wants to get your attention for the overtake maneuver. Granted it should be a little more prominent and maybe a couple of chimes, but it does do it. Test it out and don't do anything when requested and you'll hear the chime.

Agree generally, but it actually does chime ONCE when it wants to get your attention for the overtake maneuver. Granted it should be a little more prominent and maybe a couple of chimes, but it does do it. Test it out and don't do anything when requested and you'll hear the chime.

Strange. I have never heard any chime when it's requesting confirmation for a lane change. Does the chime require that I have the autopilot voice on? (Not sure why I'm asking because I've tried it with the voice muted and without.)

Chime doesn't seem to be consistent. One thing I think it's really dangerous is whenever the NoA ends it gives the count down messages NoA ends in 500 ..400...100 ft. then a message NoA ended press accelerator to resume. BUT it actually stopped the car If I don't press the pedal. The car following will not expect someone will slow down dramatically in the exit ramp.

Worse, just the other day, likely because of gps/data not correct, it thinks it is exiting while I am still traveling on the highway and if I am not paying attention at the instrument cluster and the speed of the vehicle, the car will stop in the highway without reason.

Reactions: BLKTSLA
Strange. I have never heard any chime when it's requesting confirmation for a lane change. Does the chime require that I have the autopilot voice on? (Not sure why I'm asking because I've tried it with the voice muted and without.)

Try waiting a bit longer before acknowledging and you should hear it. Another thought is that it may only beep based on the urgency of the lane change, e.g. exit coming up.

Chime doesn't seem to be consistent. One thing I think it's really dangerous is whenever the NoA ends it gives the count down messages NoA ends in 500 ..400...100 ft. then a message NoA ended press accelerator to resume. BUT it actually stopped the car If I don't press the pedal. The car following will not expect someone will slow down dramatically in the exit ramp.

Worse, just the other day, likely because of gps/data not correct, it thinks it is exiting while I am still traveling on the highway and if I am not paying attention at the instrument cluster and the speed of the vehicle, the car will stop in the highway without reason.

Agreed, I think there needs to be a clearer hand-off and it should tell you to take over rather then reverting to autopilot and requiring you to press the accelerator.

Do you have the nav volume turned down? It should be giving clues that nav is ending and you can be ready to take over.

And again, number one rule, you need to be paying attention.

Slow vehicle lane change recommendations should be evident, after all, you are now going pretty slow!

Do you have the nav volume turned down? It should be giving clues that nav is ending and you can be ready to take over.

And again, number one rule, you need to be paying attention.

Slow vehicle lane change recommendations should be evident, after all, you are now going pretty slow!

Even if you are paying attention, the person behind you may not be. (It is frequently the case where I am located, in Southern California. We seriously have a garbage driving culture.) There is a real threat of being rear-ended during phantom braking or the random slowdowns I experienced while testing Navigate on Autopilot.

Can the Tesla steering wheel give haptic feedback? I was recently driving a car where it gives you haptic feedback if you cross the centre line. It's awesome, except for the fact that it detects when you cross the centre line less than 50% of the time.
Teslas do exactly what you say when the lane departure warning is on. The manual says it shakes the steering wheel. To me it sounds like a quiet buzz and I don’t really feel the steering wheel shake.

• Informative
Reactions: strangecosmos
Teslas do exactly what you say when the lane departure warning is on. The manual says it shakes the steering wheel. To me it sounds like a quiet buzz and I don’t really feel the steering wheel shake.

Oh, cool! I had no idea, thanks. In the car I drove the haptic feedback is very strong. The wheel pushes back on you enough to prevent you from going further into the next lane. I thought it was a cool feature.

I kind of thought Tesla would have some sort of audible voice confirmation, not so much for the confirmation of lane changes BUT for the time when Nav on Autopilot was about to be disengaged. I feel like a chime and a note on the display isn’t sufficient in that scenario.

Kind of like this scene from The 6th Day...scroll ahead to the 40 second mark.

I've been using NoA extensively for about a couple of weeks now and overall I'm impressed with where Tesla is going with it.
  • I understand that the neural net is relatively young and it's going to be learning very quickly
  • I'm fine with reduced functionality under certain weather and construction conditions
  • I'm okay with NoA overlooking opportunities to move to a faster lane, even though I'm on the most aggressive setting.
What I find absolutely unacceptable; however, is the complete lack of any audible notice that NoA is asking for my permission to do something.

Tesla, it is ridiculous that you (rightfully) demand that I pay attention to my surroundings and stay ready to take over at any time yet you simultaneously require that I continually watch the display for NoA's request for confirmation!

For heck's sake, implement some sort of tone that alerts me that NoA is wanting confirmation!

And while you're at it, please make the NoA request stay on screen for a little longer.

And increase the font size of the NoA messages. Your programmers might all be in their 20's and 30's but your owners are not.

Thank you.

End of rant.

The first audible tone of each warning really shouldn't be counted toward the 3 strikes, especially for people who actually pay attention to the road and not the dashboard.

Besides, not everyone applies such amount of torque (>1 lb) to the wheel while holding it. They really need to make it more sensitive. I ended up buying a 1 lb wrist weight (which is actually not enough to disable the nag) so that it could recognize me holding the wheel.

Reactions: boonedocks