TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My biggest (only?) annoyance with the TMC layout

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by gpetti, Apr 10, 2015.

1. gpetti

gpetti Active Member

As with any website I'm sure I could come up with a list of suggestions for improvements; however, by and large I use the site without much trouble and I have my own way of using things - thanks for a great forum!. That said, there is one thing that always catches me out. I often use Quick Links to get to Subscribed Threads but if I'm using the iPad or iPhone it is sometimes easy to select What's New instead. (that isn't the problem). The problem is that in some screens the QuickLinks link disappears and is replaced with "Mark Forums Read". I have probably inadvertently selected this option dozens of times which of course wipes out any record of which threads I have read. Some possible solutions?

Don't put this option on the top level - ever? If these links have to be changed for "What's New" keep the MFR option hidden or under another menu.

Have a warning for this option so it doesn't just just set everything as read without any notice or warning.

2. ModelX

ModelX Member

I have also accidentally hit this button at times. It is frustrating!

3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I have a list of gripes about a mile long, but moving that link is pretty easy to do, which I've done. Hopefully that helps.

4. ModelX

ModelX Member

Thank you!

5. gpetti

gpetti Active Member

Yes thanks for the great response! Hopefully no one will hassle you about the new position!

6. thegruf

thegruf Member

Wow. Even quicker update than Tesla. That's really helpful. Thanks.

7. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

haha, opposite here. I usually get "What's New" then mark as read after. The move of mark as read caught me off guard and I hit New Blog entries twice

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Order changed in "new posts"

After you select "new posts", the "mark forums read" is now the first entry on the left in the search results rather than "new posts". Was that on purpose, as it's different then it use to be.

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Consistency is what's needed. Now with two different locations it's far too easy to "mark forums read". Very annoying.

11. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Agree. New posts should be under new posts. Your mouse hovers over mark all read now.

12. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

The only constant is change and people who complain about it.

13. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

That's two ​things, Doug....

14. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

It's three things that are constant:
    change, people who complain about it, and smart-allocs who correct people pointing that out :)

15. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Perhaps the only constant is that there's a non-zero number of constants. Try to de-reference that.

Or just use C++ and overload the meaning of "constant" in different contexts. :)

16. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I never click "Mark Forums Read" so I dunno if this request is already implemented...

When invoking that, is there a confirmation prompt? If not, there should be. It's not something (IMO) people want to do often so it shouldn't be unduly annoying to have to confirm; and for those that only do it by accident, this might be a "savior" dialog.

17. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

No, there is not one. I use the functionality every day. I would not like to have a confirmation dialog.

18. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Same here. Let's not go requesting more changes to features people use (especially if you don't use it). I've now hit the wrong link several times today. Muscle memory is tough.

19. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

We could instead switch to discussing the color of those links...

20. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Ok, my preference would be that there would be a distinctive "mark all forums read" button in a consistent location whether you had been reading the forums via the "Subscribed forums", "Forums", or "What's New?" options. Having a single button, in a single place on all forums would be the most flexible and easiest to find option no matter how each individual chose to read the forum.