Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My biggest surprise? They didn't show the seats folded for max cargo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was ready to reserve for my wife tonight, but it seems as though I will have an easier time with my surfboards in my model S. I surf at least 3 times a week and when I go with my kids we take 4 boards (currently in a Nissan Armada) and I don't see how this is possible in an X with no folding seats and no roof rack. Going to have to go with plan b which was buy the X and get a classic car for around 10k that we use for beach.

From Jalopnik:

Yes you can fit a roof rack, but the trailer hitch rack is what you want.Without having learned any details, one of Tesla’s men did confirm roof racks will be available. Of course, he also warned that would incur a significant aerodynamics tax, which is going to affect the range.
But the same representative also alluded to a trailer-hitch mountable rack that would not only carry your bikes or skis or snowboard, but it would actually improve aerodynamics. It’ll be interesting to see what that looks like and how well it actually works soon.
Interior cargo space is bountiful, even without being able to drop the seats. The roof’s high, and that gives the rear cargo area plenty of vertical volume.

Tesla Model X: This Is It

As for the wire stuff, any pictures? That said wires can probably be hidden easily enough, I have seen small wires fitted into things that are almost invisible. But not sure of the cost or the reliability. (Automotive needs higher reliability than most consumer stuff)

My biggest surprise was the fact that after seeing it, I don't think I want one. Well I do want one but not any more than I want a Model S. I'm relieved actually that I can be perfectly content to shop in the CPO Model S marketplace in the spring, keep more $$ invested and not be green with envy when I eventually see an X in the wild. Anyone else feel "meh" about tonight's launch? Like watching the iPad mini announcement.

A bit. Maybe "meh" is how I felt. Been wanting one for a long time, but definitely my ardor is cooling. Looking forward to seeing it in person and hopefully driving it with people in the back, and assessing rear cargo space, before making final judgment.

Thanks evme I had no idea they could do roof racks. This was from the Wired article,
Speaking of stuff, the X is cavernous. No one could tell us the internal volume—you’d think someone at Tesla would have had that figure—but one engineer said you could carry a sheet of plywood. Another said it the X would easily swallow a surfboard. And yet another said you could carry a load of two-by-fours. Suffice it to say, this thing will swallow as much cargo as any normal person would carry.

http://www.wired.com/2015/09/tesla-model-x-suv-reveal-specs-price/

So it seems promising, need to find a cars and coffee where one of theses founders are so I can scope it out real quick.

My ICE (its a hybrid Highlander) SUV can carry my paddleboard, my recumbent bike and some lumber inside. I can also sleep in it comfortably.

It wasn't the easiest thing to make that all work, but I like it better than a pickup.

Exactly! My last vehicle was large SUV-Dodge Durango. You couldn't carry plywood or 2x4x8's in the back either. This vehicle isn't made for that type of capacity and neither are the ICE SUV's. Get a pickup with an 8 foot bed if you need to haul that type of cargo. Also vehicles this size shouldn't haul more then 5000 lbs or you run into the tail wagging the dog which is obviously dangerous. Again get a pickup.

Elon stated the the second row seats are the way that they are so the you can enter the third row with child safe seats installed in the second row. I know that this does not address the question about being able to carry a 4'x8' piece of plywood...

They did address it.

5000 pound towing capacity.

You just don't like their solution. A pickup truck sounds more suitable to you, nobody is forcing you to buy a MX. For the majority that buy their 7 passenger vehicles to carry passengers, the MX is a smashing success.

It is very strange that they seemed to avoid letting anyone fold down the 3rd row. I am starting to wonder if to fold the 3rd row seats down, the 2nd row needs to be pushed all the way forward. This would mean to haul any significant cargo, the car becomes a 2 seater. Does anyone have any pics or video of the third row folded down?

Something tells me you're not in the sweet spot for their target demographic...

I think Tesla changed their target demographic. They promised fold-flat seats 3 years ago and again as recently as last year. Thousands of people (including me) put down deposits based on features we saw years ago. My current SUV (CR-V) has a separate hatch glass and fold-down seats which allow me to easily fit large items in the back. Most of the time I have the hatch glass closed but there have been a few instances over the years when I've driven with the hatch glass open. I knew the X wouldn't have a separate hatch glass but was relying on the fold-flat seats. I'll probably be canceling my order but will wait until I see one in person.

- - - Updated - - -

Did anyone attending the MX release take cargo measurements with third row folded? I too was dismayed that Elon didn't address or even demonstrate cargo capacity.

In another thread, someone said it was 60" in an X (behind the 2nd row) vs. 78" in the S (behind the 1st row). Since the middle seats down fold, that really limits the length of longer items.

Did anyone attending the MX release take cargo measurements with third row folded? I too was dismayed that Elon didn't address or even demonstrate cargo capacity.

According to measurements on another thread, with the 2nd row slid back there is only 50". So you only get the meager 60" when the second row is all the way forward (car is in 2 person mode)! 50" is not enough to fit a single high backed chair! Very lame for any "utility" vehicle. I can't believe they destroyed the utility of the vehicle to make it easy to put infants in to car seats.

They did address it.

5000 pound towing capacity.

You just don't like their solution. A pickup truck sounds more suitable to you, nobody is forcing you to buy a MX. For the majority that buy their 7 passenger vehicles to carry passengers, the MX is a smashing success.

The more I think about it, the more your answer makes complete sense. U-Haul will rent you an enclosed cargo trailer with interior dimensions of 11'7" x 6' x 5'5" for $30 a day .. Home Depot has utility trailer rentals as well. For the rare occurrence that I need to haul something large it seems like renting a cheap trailer for a day will work just fine. I know some people wanted to put a mattress in the back, but I don't ever see myself doing that. I'll either get a hotel where I am going or pitch a tent if I am camping. The Sylvansport Go camping trailer would also be a pretty good option for camping.

I think Tesla changed their target demographic. They promised fold-flat seats 3 years ago and again as recently as last year. Thousands of people (including me) put down deposits based on features we saw years ago. My current SUV (CR-V) has a separate hatch glass and fold-down seats which allow me to easily fit large items in the back. Most of the time I have the hatch glass closed but there have been a few instances over the years when I've driven with the hatch glass open. I knew the X wouldn't have a separate hatch glass but was relying on the fold-flat seats. I'll probably be canceling my order but will wait until I see one in person.

- - - Updated - - -

In another thread, someone said it was 60" in an X (behind the 2nd row) vs. 78" in the S (behind the 1st row). Since the middle seats down fold, that really limits the length of longer items.
The car that you saw was a prototype. They removed some features but added a ton more. I can understand that it may not work for you as folding seats might be a deal breaker for you. Hope you find a car that you like.

Guy had a measuring tape. With middle seat all the way forward, it was about 5 feet (60 inches) from rear of hatch to back of 2nd row seat with third row flat. And BTW, the third row did look truly flat to me (no incline) when folded.

- - - Updated - - -

I was ready to reserve for my wife tonight, but it seems as though I will have an easier time with my surfboards in my model S. I surf at least 3 times a week and when I go with my kids we take 4 boards (currently in a Nissan Armada) and I don't see how this is possible in an X with no folding seats and no roof rack. Going to have to go with plan b which was buy the X and get a classic car for around 10k that we use for beach.
Backstage during rehearsal (?), they had a Model X with a surfboard on top. I guess they nixed it for the actual reveal, either because they didn't think it important enough in the limited amount of time they had, or there would have been too much 'splaining to do. Probably a specialized rack of some kind. Here's a picture:

BigPictureBigSound on Twitter:

The thing is, when the falcon wings go up, it appears that they need to lift a bit to disengage the latch, so even if they rotate only on the lower hinge (leaving the top portion immobile), the doors might rise slightly to do that. So that would make even a specialized roof rack a bit tricky. Hard to tell for sure. It's possible there is a mode to open just the lower portion of the door and still allow ingress/egress. It the top portion of the door remains immobile, then some type of roof rack could definitely work.

-CB

Last edited:
I think Tesla changed their target demographic. They promised fold-flat seats 3 years ago and again as recently as last year. Thousands of people (including me) put down deposits based on features we saw years ago.

I would consider that misrepresentation from Tesla. Not a very good business practice that's for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

The car that you saw was a prototype. They removed some features but added a ton more. I can understand that it may not work for you as folding seats might be a deal breaker for you. Hope you find a car that you like.

But Tesla certainly hinted folding 2nd row seat, the availability of that feature is a material fact to many perspective buyers. Hence the reason why Tesla included in the early presentation slides. Not conveying the change in design and specification to the early buyers with deposits down is an ethical issue. Plain and simple.

I would consider that misrepresentation from Tesla. Not a very good business practice that's for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

But Tesla certainly hinted folding 2nd row seat, the availability of that feature is a material fact to many perspective buyers. Hence the reason why Tesla included in the early presentation slides. Not conveying the change in design and specification to the early buyers with deposits down is an ethical issue. Plain and simple.

An ethical issue, really? People with deposits are not "buyers" they have merely indicated interest and given Tesla $5000 to hold their place in line.

The more I think about it, the more your answer makes complete sense. U-Haul will rent you an enclosed cargo trailer with interior dimensions of 11'7" x 6' x 5'5" for $30 a day .. Home Depot has utility trailer rentals as well. For the rare occurrence that I need to haul something large it seems like renting a cheap trailer for a day will work just fine. I know some people wanted to put a mattress in the back, but I don't ever see myself doing that. I'll either get a hotel where I am going or pitch a tent if I am camping. The Sylvansport Go camping trailer would also be a pretty good option for camping.

This is what I do with my 4Runner b/c I don't want the stuff we are hauling to scratch up the truck.

- - - Updated - - -

I can understand where you are coming from. I wont say its unethical as it was a prototype and it was a mere representation of the car they wanted to make. Features can be added and features can be dropped. Its unfortunate that a lot of people wont be buying X due to folding issue. Hope they find a nice car. Maybe Model 3.:smile:

An ethical issue, really? People with deposits are not "buyers" they have merely indicated interest and given Tesla $5000 to hold their place in line.

Yes, really. If you don't see it that way, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Ironically I should add that the folding seat issue actually doesn't bother me as my focus is on hauling people rather than cargo.

Could someone if they run into a Model X measure the hypothetical cargo space if the 2nd row seats could also be folded (i.e. from back to the 1st row seats). Want to get an idea of how much extra space we would have gained had the seats actually fold.