TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My bikes fit!

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by dbullard, Mar 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. dbullard

dbullard Member

The sun is out in Portland, OR, it's near 80F, that means it's time to go out into the country and do some serious biking.

With my previous car, I used a roof rack (does terrible things for mileage, as you might think). Hard to believe I haven't done this yet, but I tested my S to see if my bikes would fit inside, or if I'd have to buy another roof rack.

Good news - they fit! All of them. (yes, I own more than one)

I ride recumbent bikes (neck problems), which don't lend themselves to a lot of "trailer hitch" type racks. They can be rather odd looking compared to a "normal" bike - you can see a picture here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/douglasbullard/3148790217/

I folded down the rear seats and laid out an old bedspread so that it covered most of the rear area, took off the front wheel, laid the bike down and folded the bedspread over the front. I ride short-wheelbase recumbents, that means the front chain ring is up front where it WILL doe damage to upholstery unless properly covered.

My biggest bike is a Bacchetta CA 2.0 with 700c wheels and the large frame - and it fit with room to spare (I'm pretty sure I could have got two in if I stacked them right).

Best thing is - I still have the frunk to carry other cargo!

2. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Yeah, it's pretty neat to just be able to toss a bike back there. My wife has a hybrid and a road bike; both are pretty big as she's 5'11" and all leg (they are too big for me to ride comfortably). But I don't have to take any wheels off or anything - I just throw in a blanket and then the bike.

We now have a Torklift hitch, so we can go that route too. But it is easier to throw the bike in the back...

3. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I have a Challenge Fujin SL and I'm counting on it fitting. I took measurements and I think it will.

4. Panacea

Panacea TSLA Shareholder/Believer

Lol. The fold down seats were one reason I chose the MS. I hate hauling my bikes outside of my car.

5. DavidM

DavidM P2624, Delivered

We have two folding bikes that fit inside the Model S without removing any wheels.
    Tern Eclipse P9
    http://www.ternbicycles.com/us/bikes/eclipse-p9

These bikes have 24" wheels. Tight fit for two of them in the trunk area. But there is still plenty room for 3 passengers and cargo.

6. LazyBear

LazyBear Member

7. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

All -

Here's the solution I went with -- Torklift Central Eco hitch with Saris Freedom Hitch Rack:

IMG_0656.jpg IMG_0657.jpg IMG_0658.jpg

I didn't want to damage the interior of the car!
    Haven't tested its effect on range - but hope to do that soon!

Aaron

8. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Aaron, somehow a bike on the back makes the rear end of the S look petite. And we know it's not... :wink::biggrin:

9. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Yeah I saw that and it reminded me how big bicycles really are. Good thing I have a formal living room (really bike and tool room) to store all my bikes in.

10. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Strida bike fits nicely under Parcel shelf with seat backs up. Kevlar rubber belt - no oily chain.
    --
    S_bike2.jpg S_bike1.jpg

11. Panacea

Panacea TSLA Shareholder/Believer

Aaron...any range data +/- bike and bike rack? I plan on storing my bike in the car but I am curious about your experience.

12. DuncanWatson

DuncanWatson Member

@Douglas

Are all your recumbents bacchettas? If a 700c CA 2.0 will fit I suspect my raptobike will fit. Unfortunately I doubt my GRR will fit. It is nice to see that the basic hi-racers will fit though.
    djw

13. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I don't have any Model S measurements; but on a Roadster a bike mounted like that seems to add about 15%. I would imagine the hit to be a little smaller on a Model S, but you never know.

14. dbullard

dbullard Member

Yup, I've got the large frame 700c CA 2.0, a 650c Corsa, and a Giro 26 (my commuter bike - disc brakes work great in the Portland rains).

Three bikes is rather a lot, really... I only meant to have two, then won the CA 2.0 in a charity raffle. Probably should sell the Corsa :)

15. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Nonsense. I think the ideal number of bicycles to own is around 7. I happen to own 5 + 2. 5 that are a tire inflation and chain lube away from being 100% rideable. Two that need a repair before they are ready to go. I am still in mourning about my mountain bike frame dieing about 7 years ago, I still keep it in tip top shape, except the crack in the frame. The other bike isn't really mine. And needs a brake bleed (I don't do hydraulic brake work myself) and a rear shock (too cheap to buy one). It never gets ridden, and was my mom's mountain bike, so doesn't come close to fitting me.

1 - Cannondale Road Bike
    2 - HED TT bike
    3 - Schwinn Grand Voyager (road bike) first year full Dura-Ace gruppo!! Much older than I am.
    4 - Novara (REI brand) Cyclocross bike
    5 - K2 Hard Tail Mountain Bike (frame cracked 7 years ago)
    6 - Mongoose steel rigid mountain bike, with panniers, my grocery getter, and main commuting vehicle, for a VERY VERY long time
    7 - Scott FS XC mountain bike
    7+ - At LEAST two full road bike component sets in boxes on shelves, at least one mountain bike component set in boxes on shelves (no BB or bars), and a cracked TREK road frame that had about 20k miles before it gave up. I don't really have 'extra' wheels, I do move my road bike wheels between them bikes.

16. 4sevens.com

4sevens.com Member

My fold 18 speed bike - dahon hammerhead 8.0 fits in the frunk

i-m2tzvf6-M.jpg

i-TLrhc3s-M.jpg

i-4Znz898-M.jpg

I leave it in there all the time with charging cables. Great for emergencies :)

17. Klaus

Klaus Member

It's not like you can bike to the next charging station and bring back a canister of electrons :rolleyes:

Looks like a great bike though ... Just seems impossible to find anywhere to buy. Any hints?

18. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

19. 4sevens.com

4sevens.com Member

This one was pretty much the flagship for dahon... dual bar folders are rare and this ones very light - 20 pounds.

I picked it up on amazon... you'll have to keep looking - maybe second hand.

20. ModelS1079

ModelS1079 Member

Aaron, this is awesome. This vs roof rack - need to figure it out by late MAy - how does this aytach to the car? Did the service center help? Where to buy - C'mon - info please!