Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Browser Isn't Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 MS w/ MCU1 here, v9 2018.50.6. Browser has always been glacially slow, although an update 1 year ago (v8.1 2018.14.2) did improve it ever so marginally. I swear an old teletype machine prints a page of text significantly faster than the MS browser responds to a URL and renders the simplest of pages. But I digress.

Ever since v9, my browser will work for a few days and then stop. i.e select favorite URL or try to type a URL on the screen and zero response, the progress bar doesn't even appear. Reboot is required to bring the browser back to (so-called) life.

I've tried the easter egg sketchpad trick to hide the map, but I don't notice any particular speed improvement in browsing nor any change in this v9-crash-or-lock-up-every-couple-days behaviour.

Sorry guys, I really don't use the easter eggs. When I triple tap the T logo all I get is some dumb games. Don't see the whiteboard.
There is really no way to get the browser working again?
Can Tesla Service fix it?

I think it's the logo with the astronaut guy, it brings up sketchpad. Then you can open the browser.

Works ok for me on 2018.50.6 to open TeslaWaze.

2017 is using old, now discontinued hardware which Tesla doesn't care about much, beyond avoiding any major PR issue, like accidents or security hacks due to poor software. So they do (hopefully) patch for security, and keep the car drivable, but features like browser are way low on their list to keep working.

Welcome to Tesla world and Elon's dream of disposable cars. Old cars are forced to run software written for new hardware, so it's like running latest IOS on an iPad2, it will kinda work, slow and not all features. The hope is it will entice you to buy a new one.

Sorry guys, I really don't use the easter eggs. When I triple tap the T logo all I get is some dumb games. Don't see the whiteboard.
There is really no way to get the browser working again?
Can Tesla Service fix it?

tap the Tesla logo just once, that'll bring up the About Your Tesla window. Then drag the top edge of that window downward to reveal the Easter Egg menu. The sketchpad has the picture of Starman on the cover

IMG_2458.JPG

Thanks. I found the Whiteboard and tried to load a web page from the browser. Still no luck.
One thing I do recall. The night before the browser stopped working the car downloaded new software (I don't know what version) but when I got in the car in the morning, the Release Notes on the screen were blank.
Maybe a faulty download affected my browser?

tap the Tesla logo just once, that'll bring up the About Your Tesla window. Then drag the top edge of that window downward to reveal the Easter Egg menu. The sketchpad has the picture of Starman on the cover

View attachment 395987

The situation with the v9 is not only the MCU broken performance, but also the bizarre UI design. Now, I learn the sketchpad has the picture of Starman (why?)!!! This is a complete disaster.

Reactions: am_dmd and StarLog
Thanks. I found the Whiteboard and tried to load a web page from the browser. Still no luck.
One thing I do recall. The night before the browser stopped working the car downloaded new software (I don't know what version) but when I got in the car in the morning, the Release Notes on the screen were blank.
Maybe a faulty download affected my browser?

Thats the same that happened to me on 2018.50.6, no details on the upgrade, just a blank screen.
I had tech mobile service out for a different issue, and the tech did something to get it back working.
Working slow but working

Same problem on my 2016 X with release 2019.32.2.1

I expect a slow browser, but since a few weeks it's just not working. Rebooting don't change anything. Every other apps are ok, but the browser just don't open any web page (whatever on LTE or Wifi).

If no know fix, I will just go see tesla. For me it's useful for TeslaWaze.

Same problem on my 2016 X with release 2019.32.2.1

I expect a slow browser, but since a few weeks it's just not working. Rebooting don't change anything. Every other apps are ok, but the browser just don't open any web page (whatever on LTE or Wifi).

If no know fix, I will just go see tesla. For me it's useful for TeslaWaze.

Tesla may not be able to help you. This is a software issue, and one day they will figure it out for us MCU/1 owners. More than likely the software has passed the compute and memory capacity of the outdated MCU/1 architecture...

Until the MCU/2 retrofit arrives, I'm guessing there won't be much they can do to help you out. It's hit or miss some times with the browser.

When that retrofit arrives, you can purchase the MCU/2 retrofit which is a far more current architecture MCU system that is going with all new Tesla Model S/X now. No idea on the price, but a few thousand dollars is my guess.

It's a software issue and not hardware (car). Keep rebooting (2 scroll wheels + brake) sometimes 2-3x times and will eventually work. But I can guarantee it will stop working with blank screen in few days. Been there done that. Welcome to Tesla's pathetic software and fanboys call this computer on wheels:rolleyes:

• Disagree
Reactions: jrleyva23
When that retrofit arrives, you can purchase the MCU/2 retrofit
I won’t count on that. MCU 1 cars are aging by the day, by the time the retrofit comes out (more of an if then when), it would not be worth the cost on an old car.

Tesla also have limited incentive to invest in retrofit compare to making new cars better.

I would love it too, but I just see it happening.