Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My CA DMV registration fee jumped from $80 to $258!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish mine jumped to $258. Colorado is probably the worst. 5-9% sales tax at purchase. And then "own tax" each year after that for 10 years. Tesla's cost around $1000-2000+/yr to register here. Plus we now have the $50 Plug-in Fee. Half goes to charging infrastructure and half goes to gas tax. I agree with this fee but the sales AND own tax are just stupid.

We do get $5000 state income tax rebate but that's a wash with the sales tax.

Last edited:
I just received my renewal notice from the DMV for my 2016 Model S that I bought from Tesla at the end of 2016. The "registration fee" portion of the bill went from $80 to $258!

I knew it would be increasing, but, from the latest DMV info on their site, the maximum for a vehicle worth over $60K is $175.

Note: This is in addition to a still substantial "license fee" and some smaller county/district fees

Has anyone else seen this kind of fee and understand what's going on?

P.S. When I saw the envelop from the DMV, I was hoping that it was the so-called "pre-filled application" for a red carpool decal. Excitement suddenly aborted when I looked inside.

Same situation as you - 12/16 purchase, $80-->$258 on the registration fee portion. Of course the License Fee is another $430 and my total is $695.

Same situation as you - 12/16 purchase, $80-->$258 on the registration fee portion. Of course the License Fee is another $430 and my total is $695.

My S90D with similar factory options came to $818 total.

When you upgraded to a 75D, it's unlikely that the DMV adjusted your license fee portion up to reflect its increased market value. If you'd like, I can let them know and have them fix it. o_O:eek:

• Funny
Reactions: alloverx
Yes but the total tax burden is rough in CA (as I know it used to be in MA and CT when I lived there). 13.3% marginal income tax at the top, 8+% sales tax, etc. so it all adds up through death via 1000x cuts.

To hit the 13% state tax bracket, you have to be clearing 1m a year. There are not many states you will be able to clear that a year.

Good luck finding a place that have housing that appreciate like they do here. Funny everyone complaints about taxes, but no one complaints when they take their bag of money to the bank when they sell the house.

8+% sales tax, etc. so it all adds up through death via 1000x cuts.
10.25% in my city!, not sure if there is a higher rate in any city in the country?

Oh look, Long Beach even made this article
"Sales taxes
Sales taxes in the U.S. are levied by state, county and municipal governments, affecting the price you pay for goods and services in different parts of the country.
Some of the highest combined state and local sales taxes:
Chicago, Illinois and Long Beach, California: 10.25 percent"

Looks like i'm winning, ha nobody beats me!

Last edited:
But you got the additional $2500 CA tax rebate from buying an EV.... right? Most states don’t have that.
We do but there are Eligibility guidelines and and income limits (Income Eligibility). I never was eligible on my 1st leased Leaf. I knew that going into it as I was getting a 24 month lease. At the time, you had to lease for at least 36 months or buy and keep for at least 36 months. When I was in the market, a 36 month lease minus $2500 was more expensive per month for over the life of the lease than a 24 w/o $2500 rebate.

I bought a used Leaf to replace it, so again ineligible. Now (w/the current income limits enacted 11/1/16), I make way too much $ so I'm ineligible for a future EV/PHEV unless I bring my income way down.

Last edited:
But wait. The license fee portion is deductible...unless you own a typical house in CA, where the Republican $10K total deduction limit on property taxes probably kills this for you.

Well, at least we don't have to deal with smog checks on our Teslas.

My cult leader Elon Musk supports carbon tax because polluters need to pay more. Prop 6 goes against that goal.

As a cult follower, I will vote NO on Prop 6.

IMO, Musk is wrong. Charging higher taxes on gasoline:
  • Mainly hurts the poorest Californians (who also cannot realistically afford electric vehicles).
  • Does little to encourage the people who could afford electric vehicles to go electric, because they can also afford the small tax increase.
  • Puts the cost of road maintenance primarily on the people who do the least damage — cars — and turns the cost of road damage caused by shipping into an externality paid for by taxpayers.
Gas taxes are a regressive tax, paid for by the people who can afford it the least, and basically act like a giant government handout to big trucking businesses. I have not actually read Prop 6, but my gut says that it is probably one of the few propositions that actually is a good idea.

But IMO, we should go further and:
  • Demand a $5 per gallon tax on diesel sold at truck stops, phased in over five years, not applied to diesel at gas stations designed for passenger-sized vehicles, so that the people who do the most road damage pay something approaching their fair share.
  • Demand a per-vehicle CO2 emissions tax that you pay for as part of your personal income tax, phased in beginning at $75,000 individual or $125,000 household, applying only to ICE cars, so that you encourage EV purchasing by people who can afford it, without penalizing people who can't.
  • Demand an affordable electric vehicle incentive in which manufacturers making all-electric vehicles with at least 300-mile range get a $5,000 credit from the government, but only for vehicles whose base price is $20,000 or less, to encourage carmakers to find ways to bring costs down even more.
Unlike gas tax and registration taxes, those things would actually advancing the cause of electric vehicles, but would still bring in more revenue for California.

Demand a $5 per gallon tax on diesel sold at truck stops, phased in over five years, not applied to diesel at gas stations designed for passenger-sized vehicles, so that the people who do the most road damage pay something approaching their fair share.

You don't think this would also be passed on to consumers as well? and mostly hurt the people who cannot afford it? (especially the grocery store shoppers)
Truck stops would close from lack of business and truckers would clog all the "gas stations designed for passenger-sized vehicles" that sold diesel fuel