Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My cabin heater is not working. What's the easiest way to tell if my battery heater is/isn't working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Friday, after getting some snow, I went for a drive and noticed that my cabin heater was not working. Another longer drive yesterday confirmed this.

I know it is probably the fuse in the DC/DC, the heater core, or both.

But my question is, how do I tell if my battery heater is currently working? Very cold weather is coming to my area (<7 degrees F) and I don't have a garage, is my battery in danger of damage if my battery heater is not working and it sits outside for a long time in those low temperatures?

If my battery is safe, I will work on the cabin heater issue myself. If my battery heater is broken and my battery health is at risk, I will get my car into a service center ASAP.

Reactions: brewcoffee2019
The battery heater does not run when the car is asleep and the battery will not be harmed. The following items are from the manual:

For better long-term performance, avoid exposing to ambient temperatures above 140° F (60° C) or below -22° F (-30° C) for more than 24 hours at a time.

When the battery is cold you will see a blue snowflake, which means some of the stored energy in the battery is unavailable because the battery is cold. Regenerative breaking is also limited. The snowflake icon no longer displays when the battery is warmed.

So if the snowflake does not go away you have a battery heater problem - unlikely.

Reactions: iamthewaughrus