Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Camp Rig

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really like the sleeping rig I ended up with for my ModelS 90D:

Two folding tables to deal with headrest area (required a bit of modification to get exact height - four cuts and two holes per table).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HW2PMQL
These are super compact when folded... I bungee a pillow between the pair.

These tables are useful when spending time outside the car too. Plus, you can just barely squeeze into the passenger seat with one of these tables as a laptop stand if you are so inclined.

I add a couple 2' square interlocking garage mats (I had dozens lying around) and a piece of scrap foam to level the hump.

One full size inflatable mattress with wings in the wheel-well that tucks in perfectly.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MYDXD43/

I encapsulate the mattress in a waterproof sheath that is eliminates bottom sheet and protects against our dog's claws. Easy to clean. I cut holes for the inflation valves so I don't have to deal with a zipper 99% of the time.

Finally, for those times when you are supercharger-napping and it's 3AM with no toilet available:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RNOV9M/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...515138[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]515139[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• BedView.jpg
    BedView.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 184
  • EmptyNest.jpg
    EmptyNest.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 148
  • MoonCamp.jpg
    MoonCamp.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 159
  • TableFlatteners.jpg
    TableFlatteners.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 164
  • Toilet Anyone.jpg
    Toilet Anyone.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 152
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: GeoX750
i found air mattresses to suck terribly bad, no matter how nicely they're designed. I replaced mine with foam mattress and found that to be significantly comfortable, especially if you're sleeping for 2.

use the trunk cover to square off the hump

We sleep like a rock on the air mattress, and I like that it takes about 1 cubic foot the rest of the time.

How strong is the trunk cover (I assume you mean the folding piece above the trunk area)? I would love to lay it down, because it's something I have to get out of the way anyhoo.

Weird that the photos that were visible yesterday have been replaced with attach tags, and made so that they can be activated individually anymore due to the link on the preceding line. I assume there is no way to edit a post to fix it.

Here are the attachments again:
View attachment 515135
515135[/ATTACH]%20View attachment 515136%20View attachment 515137%20View attachment 515138%20View attachment 515139%20?&tag=tmc064-20']View attachment 515136
515135[/ATTACH]%20View attachment 515136%20View attachment 515137%20View attachment 515138%20View attachment 515139%20?&tag=tmc064-20']View attachment 515137
515135[/ATTACH]%20View attachment 515136%20View attachment 515137%20View attachment 515138%20View attachment 515139%20?&tag=tmc064-20']View attachment 515138
515135[/ATTACH]%20View attachment 515136%20View attachment 515137%20View attachment 515138%20View attachment 515139%20?&tag=tmc064-20']View attachment 515139
I really like the sleeping rig I ended up with for my ModelS 90D:

Two folding tables to deal with headrest area (required a bit of modification to get exact height - four cuts and two holes per table).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HW2PMQL
These are super compact when folded... I bungee a pillow between the pair.

These tables are useful when spending time outside the car too. Plus, you can just barely squeeze into the passenger seat with one of these tables as a laptop stand if you are so inclined.

I add a couple 2' square interlocking garage mats (I had dozens lying around) and a piece of scrap foam to level the hump.

One full size inflatable mattress with wings in the wheel-well that tucks in perfectly.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MYDXD43/

I encapsulate the mattress in a waterproof sheath that is eliminates bottom sheet and protects against our dog's claws. Easy to clean. I cut holes for the inflation valves so I don't have to deal with a zipper 99% of the time.

Finally, for those times when you are supercharger-napping and it's 3AM with no toilet available:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RNOV9M/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NQW55KV/View attachment 515135 View attachment 515136 View attachment 515137 View attachment 515138 View attachment 515139

And no carbon monoxide poisoning!!

Reactions: ebinary
Dear moderator. I notice someone edited my initial post after I made it (perhaps hiding the images, which is a shame).

However, you also made it so that none of the attachment links could be used, because they are all mashed together with the final amazon link I posted, which causes them to be unclickable. Since I don't have edit capability, can you please add carriage returns between the links so the post is at least viewable?

Thanks!

Reactions: Tezzie
I have been looking for a solution for the headrest for a long time. Fabulous! And thank you for the link to Amazon.
On the other hand, I find that our inflatable mattress does not need a support. But, as Heinzcatsoup states, we also prefer a foam mattress, so we got the best of both worlds. When we have a lot of luggage we use the inflatable one. But in case we have little luggage, I have a foam one made to order in four different pieces which we can stack up in the trunk. Furthermore I made window screens that will not only block light coming in and keep prying eyes out, but will also insulate the car, which no doubt helps the consummation of our endeared kW's.
In the Model 3 section I read that someone suggested to switch on the air-recirculate to save on energy. Don't. This is why:
Be careful NOT to employ internal-circulate! The Tesla has little volume inside. IF there is no sufficient natural ventilation in the car you may run out of oxygen. (As far as I know there is only a little vent on the left side in the trunk -in my S-.) Two people could easily consume the oxygen inside the tesla within a few hours and replace it with the CO they breathe out. The lack of oxygen would not wake you up, but send you in a coma. If the situation persists, you would wake up no more, and only hit the headlines as the first Tesla Camper Victimes. So we (and when I am alone to) always have the fresh air ventilation on with the fan @1. It does not make too much noise and as said only uses about 50 km from -3°C and an inside temp. of 18°C.
I think camping in the back of my Tesla is one of the eight wonders of the world. But really not worth risking your life over a few kW's!
PLEASE be careful!

I have been looking for a solution for the headrest for a long time. Fabulous! And thank you for the link to Amazon.
On the other hand, I find that our inflatable mattress does not need a support. But, as Heinzcatsoup states, we also prefer a foam mattress, so we got the best of both worlds. When we have a lot of luggage we use the inflatable one. But in case we have little luggage, I have a foam one made to order in four different pieces which we can stack up in the trunk. Furthermore I made window screens that will not only block light coming in and keep prying eyes out, but will also insulate the car, which no doubt helps the consummation of our endeared kW's.
In the Model 3 section I read that someone suggested to switch on the air-recirculate to save on energy. Don't. This is why:

Be careful NOT to employ internal-circulate! The Tesla has little volume inside. IF there is no sufficient natural ventilation in the car you may run out of oxygen. (As far as I know there is only a little vent on the left side in the trunk -in my S-.) Two people could easily consume the oxygen inside the tesla within a few hours and replace it with the CO they breathe out. The lack of oxygen would not wake you up, but send you in a coma. If the situation persists, you would wake up no more, and only hit the headlines as the first Tesla Camper Victimes. So we (and when I am alone to) always have the fresh air ventilation on with the fan @1. It does not make too much noise and as said only uses about 50 km from -3°C and an inside temp. of 18°C.
I think camping in the back of my Tesla is one of the eight wonders of the world. But really not worth risking your life over a few kW's!
PLEASE be careful!

Tesla's are not air proof. :/ If they had such a design flaw, people would die on the way to work, making long trips, or being stuck in traffic, or from carpooling with 3 or 4 people. You breathe .5 liters of air every breath on average, there is 92 cubic feet roughly volume in an S. There is 28.3 liters in a cubic foot, and 12-25 breaths a minute of a sleeping person. So one person would breathe an estimated 9.25 liters a minute, or about 555 liters an hour. If the volume of the car is 2.6k liters, not including any cargo or other wise space taker/air remover, you'd completely breathe the volume of the vehicle in about 4.7 hours.

Going off the at rest volume (barring, of course, you doing things like talking on a phone, or singing), if you had a MS LR+, you could drive over 6 hours continuously at 60 MPH average speed, you'd have theoretically died before you reached your destination if you chose to have the recirculation air on. This is halved for two people into 2.4 hours, or 1.5 hours for three, or about 40 minutes if you had the 7 seater edition and carried it full capacity. That's not even including the voided air from the stuff you had!

Recirculate all you want, the volume will replace enough to sustain life.