Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car came with a dent that Tesla promised they would fix for free. They're dragging their feet on it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a small dent on the back of my model Y, not too bad at all. They said they would fix for free. I really wanted the car (and needed it to drive 1k miles) so I said sure fine. But they never really tried scheduling me or helping me get an appoint for free. Their own service center said they don't fix these issues (I tried scheduling through the app). I finally got through to the person who told me they'd fix it for free and she said to schedule it with an approved third party and they would put in a request for tesla to cover it.

So I do that but then the repair place says tesla usually takes 2 months to review requests. Two months?! I've already waited months. I'm trying to get this fixed here so I can move cross country. I again talked to the person who initially said they'd fix it for free and she was basically like "this is out of my hands, you have to talk to service".

I try calling Tesla's number and basically it's impossible to talk to service. But waiting 2 months for them to maybe approve something they promised they'd do sounds really bad to me.

I know it's my fault for not getting anything in writing. I guess I just really wanted the car and assumed Tesla wouldn't just immediately forget about me as soon as I had the car in my possession. The repair is $800 if I do it out of pocket. Blah. Does anyone know if there's a good way to contact service or someone in tesla who can help?

Reactions: hcdavis3
There's a small dent on the back of my model Y, not too bad at all. They said they would fix for free. I really wanted the car (and needed it to drive 1k miles) so I said sure fine. But they never really tried scheduling me or helping me get an appoint for free. Their own service center said they don't fix these issues (I tried scheduling through the app). I finally got through to the person who told me they'd fix it for free and she said to schedule it with an approved third party and they would put in a request for tesla to cover it.

So I do that but then the repair place says tesla usually takes 2 months to review requests. Two months?! I've already waited months. I'm trying to get this fixed here so I can move cross country. I again talked to the person who initially said they'd fix it for free and she was basically like "this is out of my hands, you have to talk to service".

I try calling Tesla's number and basically it's impossible to talk to service. But waiting 2 months for them to maybe approve something they promised they'd do sounds really bad to me.

I know it's my fault for not getting anything in writing. I guess I just really wanted the car and assumed Tesla wouldn't just immediately forget about me as soon as I had the car in my possession. The repair is $800 if I do it out of pocket. Blah. Does anyone know if there's a good way to contact service or someone in tesla who can help?
Did this happen at Dedham?

You know some battles are worth to fight just because it is the right thing to do.
BUT sometimes just to save yourself from headache and unnecessary frustration it is worth to pay the damn $800 and forget about it.

its called a 'due bill' and you have to get all the fixed in writing, very early on when you buy the vehicle.

most places don't go out of their way to tell you that there IS such a thing as a 'due bill'.
Due bill is the term Tesla uses for any 'free' warranty work the body shop does. This could be Tesla owned body shops or third party shops.

And yes, as others have mentioned...get it in writing.

Getting something in writing from Tesla is difficult. The Denver delivery center said flat out tha they don’t do them. I walked from two deliveries with issues because they would not even put the issues in an email.

Getting something in writing from Tesla is difficult. The Denver delivery center said flat out tha they don’t do them. I walked from two deliveries with issues because they would not even put the issues in an email.
"Due Bill" used for many things - e.g., you take delivery of the car and the floor mats are missing. The "due bill" would document that Tesla owes you a set of floor mats...much better than a verbal promise. Due Bills are a common occurrence in the auto industry...even in Denver. It's a simple looking form - you could prepare one yourself and have the Tesla SC sign it.

Reactions: linux-works