Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car has been stolen. Questions [False alarm - Pranked]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Long story short my wife was having a hectic day and forgot the key fob in the car. Few hours later when she realized the car was gone

First thing I tried was using the app, it’s not connecting. It’s loading and loading and loading and I get a network error as if the car has no internet connection

I’m a bit frazzled at the moment and don’t know where to start. My wife called the police and a police report has been filed.

The car is leased through Tesla Financial.
What happens next?
What happens if they can’t find the car?
I’m sure insurance will pay much less than the buyout price of the car
Am I on the hook for the difference?
Is there GAP insurance to pay the difference?

I’ve left work early and on my way home.

Can’t stop thinking what happens next and if I’m screwed

Anyone been through this? What should I expect?

I think Tesla can still track the car.
That’s good to know!

Sorry you're going through this. If remote access is disabled it sounds like whoever swiped it knows what they're doing.

Good news is you very likely have gap insurance if leased through Tesla Financial.

Tesla Leasing

"Your lease comes with gap insurance."
Thats a bit of a relief, I’ll find my lease contract and go over it to see what I can find.
I keep refreshing the app and still unable to connect to it.

A2562C6B-DC01-40CF-AAEE-5F44BA16821E.png
Found the lease contract in my email
This is what it says about GAP insurance.
Can’t tell if I’m too stressed but I can’t for the life of me understand what that means

Agree - cannot tell what that means.

If you cannot see it in the app, and you had a recent software version that does not allow disabling remote access without Tesla ID/password... the car might have had the battery disconnected, the signal jammed, or the SIM card removed.

Do you use anything like TeslaFi? It would show where it stopped reporting.

Tesla may be able to connect to it. Have to call them and ask.

Did you call Tesla to see if they know the whereabouts of the car? I would try to go that route and give them the synopsis of what happened.
Wife says she called and they said they’ll call back with further assistance

Agree - cannot tell what that means.

If you cannot see it in the app, and you had a recent software version that does not allow disabling remote access without Tesla ID/password... the car might have had the battery disconnected, the signal jammed, or the SIM card removed.

Do you use anything like TeslaFi? It would show where it stopped reporting.

Tesla may be able to connect to it. Have to call them and ask.
The software I was on does require log in to disable remote access
I did not subscribe to teslafi

I would venture to guess that the thief who stole it got lucky that your key was on the car and isn't a particularly advanced thief that knew in advance how to disable Tesla's constant network connection.

My guess is they simply pulled the 12v battery to turn off all power so that they can figure out what to do with the car while it sits. Perhaps they reconnect 12v power and try and move the car sometime.

If they do that, I'd recommend you sign up for Teslafi right now. It'll try to Ping your car every minute. If your car comes alive, it'll track it automatically.