Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car ignores me all too frequently!

longshadows

Apr 7, 2016
Brunswick, ME
For the past few weeks, my phone key does not automatically work when I approach my car. The car asks for the card (which I refuse to give it!) I have to open the app and wake it up or press the unlock icon on the app. The same for the charging port. It won't open when I need to plug it in or allow me to unplug when I am finished, even when the car is unlocked.

I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting Bluetooth several times and it does not seem to make a difference. Anyone else having this problem? How'd you fix it? Thanks.

jamnmon66

Apr 10, 2018
Brighton, CO
Uninstall/reinstall the app. Also, bluetooth doesn't penetrate water (i.e. your body) very well. Make sure your phone is in a front pocket or otherwise toward the car on approach. If that doesn't help, hopefully someone else can think of something. Good luck.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Thank you, I'll give that a try.

before you uninstall and re install the app, I would try un pairing and re - pairing your phone as key to the car. Go to the car and remove your phone-as-key from the car, reboot the car, then setup the phone-as-key for that phone again.

See if that works. If not, then un pair it again, and also remove the app from your phone. I am guessing it will work better when you un pair and re pair it (along with not putting the phone in your back pocket, as mentioned).

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
MA, NH
If it's an iPhone, before you do any of the above make sure Tesla App has background processing ON and Location Always ON.

If you uninstall/reinstall it automatically allows it for a while and will prompt again and you might make the same error.

iOS 13 has a habit of shutting a lot of that is you didn't pay attention or understanding when it prompted "Do you want Tesla to Continue...".

It's VERY rare you need to reinstall. Reinstall often just sets the settings correctly (by dumb luck) that you currently have set wrong.

toolman335

Oct 3, 2019
Rochester
Yesterday we had a monsoon up here in New England. It was the first time I've had connecting issues with my phone. Very similar issues. It was asking for my card. Not liking water makes sense. It also struggled with blindspot detection.

Marius A

Apr 2, 2019
NORWAY
I've had this problem since I got the car in March. Since then I've had an iPhone 8, iPhone X, Samsung S9, Samsung S10e, Samsung S10 and an Essential Phone.
I look like an idiot in the parking lot, holding my door lever and nothing happening. Sometimes it beeps before it realizes that I'm there with a phone. Even tried to set location always on for all apps, doesn't make a difference.

Wennfred

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 4, 2019
San Diego
For the past few weeks, my phone key does not automatically work when I approach my car. The car asks for the card (which I refuse to give it!) I have to open the app and wake it up or press the unlock icon on the app. The same for the charging port. It won't open when I need to plug it in or allow me to unplug when I am finished, even when the car is unlocked.

I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting Bluetooth several times and it does not seem to make a difference. Anyone else having this problem? How'd you fix it? Thanks.
Reboot your phone after every phone update. I had the same problem after IOS-13, This will fix it. Ensure that Always On for the Tesla App.

Fred

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC