TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My car is a nonstarter

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by SweetP, Oct 12, 2014.

1. SweetP

SweetP Member

Had a software download last night and this morning my car won't go. Error messages include "car needs service" and "3!". It charged normally but now the port stays black and I can't reconnect. The bluetooth sucks all sounds so, until I disconnected it, I couldn't talk with ownership. Unlike other glitches, it won't reboot either. I was already on 6.0 so this was an upgrade to that. Anyone else with similar issues?

2. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Just call them and they should be able to fix it remotely. (You probably already did).

3. SweetP

SweetP Member

Oh yes. They even sent a ranger on a Sunday but, alas, no go. It's being towed in tomorrow with an unclear diagnosis. Glad this happened at home and think I'll avoid downloads on a trip. I'll update the thread with the diagnosis.

4. SweetP

SweetP Member

It's getting interesting. The tow trucks came and went though the car remains in its home base. Problems include inability to engage tow mode, height, or even neutral. Garage door is too narrow for dollies and the space between the garage and retaining wall too short for the flatbed. Much better to break down on the road than in the garage it seems. The local service center will figure something out but it's still a puzzle.

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Jack it up then put each wheel on a rollable dolly?

6. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Very good advice. Similarly, I never upgrade software when I'm in the middle of a project. Who knows what subtle formatting changes will get introduced?

7. SweetP

SweetP Member

Well, She's off to the mother ship. Move involved a deactivation of the parking brakes with a jumper, uphill muscle out the garage door, and a Tesla/soap box derby run onto their trick flatbed truck up the foot-wide ramps. I'll update the gremlins.

8. green1

green1 Active Member

That would be something I'm sure would be worth some more detail. .. Might help save a stranded Tesla driver a lot of pain some day. .. (In fact, how to do that really should be written on the tow instructions card! )

9. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Any photos?

10. Todd Burch

It almost sounds like there was some sort of incomplete firmware install...kinda like what would happen if the power goes out while you're flashing a computer BIOS. My bet is they can reflash the hardware and have you up and running again. Just a theory.

11. SweetP

SweetP Member

Steve tried to reinstall the update after pulling a "forget me" fuse but no go. I'll post the rest of the story when in.

12. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Here's a step-by-step video of how to access the 12v terminals behind the front grill: Video Tutorial-How To: What to do if your 12v Battery Dies

13. green1

green1 Active Member

I know that part already, it's also 100% irrelevant to the situation described in this thread where the battery has a charge, but the software/firmware is hooped.
    How to manually disengage the parking brake "with a jumper" as was described by the OP would be a very useful thing to know, and to have printed on the tow instructions card.

14. SweetP

SweetP Member

She's back and I'm told it was an easy fix once they'd cleared the botched download and reapplied. Sorry I can't detail the brake deactivation. I'll stop by and ask Steve my next time by the service center. It may have been a more specialized bit of equipment than just a jumper since he hooked in to a connector behind the right side carpeting in the trunk.

15. Todd Burch

Glad your car's back! I'm going to go ahead and take credit for guessing this one :rolleyes:. I knew 2 years in software customer support would do me some good! :tongue:

16. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

You have a great sense of humor and attitude, SweetP. So glad your car is back up and working. Next time don't spill coffee on the display while playing with it? :tongue:

17. SweetP

SweetP Member

Yep Todd. You get the M+M's!

18. Todd Burch

I prefer Skittles.

Seriously though, sorry you had to go through the drama for something so simple. Surprised they weren't able to correct the install remotely...but...these thing can be complicated!

19. SweetP

SweetP Member

Added wrinkle. On the invoice I find they had to "reset the onboard charger" for the re-install.