Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car is a "total loss" Anyone interested in salvage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have (had) a 60kwh Model S which has been declared a "Total Loss". Damage was to the bumper, nosecone and Frunk. There is some damage to the battery casing as well.

All the systems and workings in the Frunk seem to be fine. The battery booted up OK on the bench and had 62% charge (down from about 68%) after a month of sitting isolated from the rest of the car.

Apparently I have first dibs on the salvage since it's my car. If I don't want it, it'll go to auction. The adjuster said it would probably be 25% of the pre-collision value--so maybe $20k. Not bad considering the battery is worth $30-40k.

Not a bad deal. Anyone feeling entrepreneurial and want to part out my baby? I'd like to make some money to upgrade to an 85P

photo 2.jpg

Gasdoc, you can fight that decision for the insurance company to total your car. I would talk to them.

So sorry about the accident. I would be absolutely devastated.

Man, I would love to replace my front seats with the high end ones that can be set by profiles.

How does this work with an insurance company when this happens? If you just spent $80k on a car, and the insurance company only pays you $20k, are you in the hole $60k? I thought the point of insurance was to pay you back the full amount of the value of the car (before the accident) so you could get another one?

How does this work with an insurance company when this happens? If you just spent $80k on a car, and the insurance company only pays you $20k, are you in the hole $60k? I thought the point of insurance was to pay you back the full amount of the value of the car (before the accident) so you could get another one?

Totally different issue. The insurance will pay me what the car was worth before the crash. Like 80k. I have the option to purchase the wreck as a side transaction.

if they haven't already bought a brand new one and taken it apart, I would imagine this may be something competitors might want to get their hands on, lol. it's cheap, and already halfway disassembled. Did you talk to Tesla to see if they would want buy it back?

I think you'll need to plan on holding onto the "parts" for quite awhile. I wouldn't expect any parts needed for collision repair until the current fleet is sold onto their next owners (my assumption being that the current owners are all well insured). Maybe there's some money in selling the motor -- if there's someone who wants to experiment with it.

And then there's the battery. I'm sure that there's a buyer for it, but it also seems like it's one of the last parts you'd ideally sell, since it's integral to the car.

Not that you won't sell it (and make a profit) eventually, but should be prepared to have a lot of car sitting around for a few years while it's parted out.

Man, oh man, GasDoc. I'd sure like to make the world's first EV tundra buggy out of it.

But then....

1. All the Greenies would hate me for wrecking the tundra :(
2. All the Red Necks would hate me for driving an EV in the Domain of The Gas Hog :(
3. And my wife would hate me for starting Yet Another project!

only the last one counts.........