TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My car is a "total loss" Anyone interested in salvage?

Discussion in 'Tesla Parts for Sale' started by GasDoc, Jul 3, 2013.

1. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

I have (had) a 60kwh Model S which has been declared a "Total Loss". Damage was to the bumper, nosecone and Frunk. There is some damage to the battery casing as well.

All the systems and workings in the Frunk seem to be fine. The battery booted up OK on the bench and had 62% charge (down from about 68%) after a month of sitting isolated from the rest of the car.

Apparently I have first dibs on the salvage since it's my car. If I don't want it, it'll go to auction. The adjuster said it would probably be 25% of the pre-collision value--so maybe $20k. Not bad considering the battery is worth $30-40k.

Not a bad deal. Anyone feeling entrepreneurial and want to part out my baby? I'd like to make some money to upgrade to an 85P

photo 2.jpg

2. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

That is a great photo! :)

As to the parts, can't help you.

3. spleen

spleen Active Member

If somebody wanted a second charger for their car, might be a cheap way to go. :)

4. MichaelS

MichaelS Member

Gasdoc, you can fight that decision for the insurance company to total your car. I would talk to them.

So sorry about the accident. I would be absolutely devastated.

Man, I would love to replace my front seats with the high end ones that can be set by profiles.

5. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

No. I'm good with totaling it. Gets me into a new model S sooner and I know it'll be factory spec

6. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

How does this work with an insurance company when this happens? If you just spent $80k on a car, and the insurance company only pays you $20k, are you in the hole $60k? I thought the point of insurance was to pay you back the full amount of the value of the car (before the accident) so you could get another one?

7. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

Totally different issue. The insurance will pay me what the car was worth before the crash. Like 80k. I have the option to purchase the wreck as a side transaction.

8. yobigd20

if they haven't already bought a brand new one and taken it apart, I would imagine this may be something competitors might want to get their hands on, lol. it's cheap, and already halfway disassembled. Did you talk to Tesla to see if they would want buy it back?

9. 4sevens.com

4sevens.com Member

I am very interested.

Details on your configuration pls?
    Pls PM me. I'd be interested in the details of the estimates for repair too.

Why is a part of the driver's side windshield blacked out?

10. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member

I wonder what Greg Abbott from "Revenge of the Electric Car" is doing these days? I bet he'd like to buy some salvage Teslas and build a few supercars.

11. flybob08

flybob08 Member

Keep the fog lights to put on your new MS!!

12. yobigd20

hah!

13. drees

drees Active Member

I'd bet the guys at AutoBeYours.com who specialize in rebuilding salvaged hybrids and EVs might be interested... They primarily do Prius, but they've done a number of LEAFs now.

14. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

Blacked out my name using photoshop.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha! and my cup holders!

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

$20K is pretty tempting.

16. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

I think you'll need to plan on holding onto the "parts" for quite awhile. I wouldn't expect any parts needed for collision repair until the current fleet is sold onto their next owners (my assumption being that the current owners are all well insured). Maybe there's some money in selling the motor -- if there's someone who wants to experiment with it.

And then there's the battery. I'm sure that there's a buyer for it, but it also seems like it's one of the last parts you'd ideally sell, since it's integral to the car.

Not that you won't sell it (and make a profit) eventually, but should be prepared to have a lot of car sitting around for a few years while it's parted out.

17. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Man, oh man, GasDoc. I'd sure like to make the world's first EV tundra buggy out of it.

But then....

1. All the Greenies would hate me for wrecking the tundra :(
    2. All the Red Necks would hate me for driving an EV in the Domain of The Gas Hog :(
    3. And my wife would hate me for starting Yet Another project!

only the last one counts.........

18. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

GasDoc, have you considered approaching Tesla themselves and see if they might be interested in atleast the battery?! They could give you a credit towards the P85 that you want to get...

19. pgwoosley

pgwoosley Member

Consider the sales tax implications. The insurance company might be willing and able to structure the transaction to avoid sales tax to you, but most likely your buyer would have to pay sales tax.

20. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

Hopefully I won't have to pay sales tax since its my car already. I suppose they just deduct that amount out if the settlement.