Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car is constantly waking and making banging noises in the garage. Am I just being paranoid or...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the first time my car has sat unplugged in my garage due to curing ceramic coating I just applied. Every minute or so it is making a loud banging sound like it is waking up followed by a minute or so of fan noises and then it quiets down for another minute and the same cycle.

I have never connected TeslaFi to my car or any other 3rd party tools. I have changed my Tesla account password already. I have sentry off when at home, cabin overheat and the summon standby are off. It is 60F in my garage.

Here is a video of the sounds

And here are logs from my WiFi network. It seems it is waking every couple of minutes and sending 2-3MB of data.
95B721AB-B181-4B12-8078-7A467A7EC4ED_1_102_o.jpeg

I have scheduled service for next week but I'm not sure if I'm abnormal or just paranoid.

You could try restarting the computer, but best to get it checked out.

Sounds like the HV contactors, they should trigger when charging and to recharge the 12V battery. You might even call roadside assistance to have them remotely check if something is going on. Should the 12V die you'll be stranded.

You could try restarting the computer, but best to get it checked out.

Sounds like the HV contactors, they should trigger when charging and to recharge the 12V battery. You might even call roadside assistance to have them remotely check if something is going on. Should the 12V die you'll be stranded.

I held both steering wheel buttons to reboot it and it hasn’t stopped. I have heard of people having logs looked at remotely but I wasn’t sure how to get that ball rolling, I scheduled service at my local SC but wasn’t sure if someone would reach out first.

I held both steering wheel buttons to reboot it and it hasn’t stopped. I have heard of people having logs looked at remotely but I wasn’t sure how to get that ball rolling, I scheduled service at my local SC but wasn’t sure if someone would reach out first.
Service will wait until your car gets there. If you call roadside assistance they'll check right away. If it's something that needs to be addressed right away you'll need to get service before your appointment.

It could be something simple or it could be serious. Either way, it's not normal.

Try turning off Data Sharing as well. Mine makes the same sounds SR+, currently in Las Vegas and it made that sound at one of the Superchargers.

make sure that Cabin overheat protection & Keep Climate On are also off.

Fred

Try turning off Data Sharing as well. Mine makes the same sounds SR+, currently in Las Vegas and it made that sound at one of the Superchargers.

Fred
That sound is the pack expansion from temperature change and the air not being able to equalize quickly. They can install new breathers to help with that. Your sound had nothing to do with data sharing.

This problem is unrelated and the car is unplugged, this is a different sound to the thermal expansion sound. This is the contactor sound and usually, you'll hear it when the car is off and starts to charge. If at a supercharger and you drove there, then the contactors are connected and already supplying HV.

That sound is the pack expansion from temperature change and the air not being able to equalize quickly. They can install new breathers to help with that. Your sound had nothing to do with data sharing.

This problem is unrelated and the car is unplugged, this is a different sound to the thermal expansion sound. This is the contactor sound and usually, you'll hear it when the car is off and starts to charge. If at a supercharger and you drove there, then the contactors are connected and already supplying HV.
Great info thanks.

Fred

How old is your car? You can try to have it forget your Wi-Fi network to see if that changes the behavior.

Picked it up 9/27. I will try that.

Were you around it with your phone in your pocket?

Yes and no. I have also turned off Bluetooth on both phones paired as keys just incase. Doesn’t seem to matter.

Nothing has changed overnight. I’ll call roadside today and see if someone can tell me what’s going on

A5DDC2E0-349D-4EB1-8932-94E085AF15D1.png

So I called vehicle support and the guy pulled the logs and said he saw something hardware that needed addressed. He told me to keep my service appointment. I tried to get more info but he just told me it was something that possible needed replaced or "pushed closed" and it would be minor but there were no concerns driving the vehicle.

No idea what he was eluding to but I guess we will see next week.

FWIW it's the sound of the car waking up, so something is triggering.

This isn't a blame post, I'm just saying that sound itself is normal and related to the wake-up event (I can immediately replicate on my car) so if your car is doing that regularly it needs some review as to cause. Sounds like you've done the obvious stuff, so I'm very curious as to the cause here. Keep us posted.

In my OS support I tend to get obsessive about what background tasks are performed on my systems, and to me the Tesla is a glorified version of that - a system that doesn't really turn "off" just goes into different grades of sleep based upon event conditions.